View Poll Results: Thyphoon H or Phantom 4
Phantom 4 279 55.36%
Thyphoon H 225 44.64%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Mar 02, 2016, 06:13 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

DJI Phantom 4 vs. Yuneec Typhoon H

Get in here folks, I think these two drones are going to be the two top prosumer drones of 2016.

Personally I think they both have interesting strengths

P4
-better collision detecting system out of the box (TyH only has sonar sensors, P4 has cameras)
-better flight time
-lightbridge
-better range
-Redundancy (personally I think this doesn't really matter)
-visual tracking system outside the box
-better price (somewhat debatable, will expand on it later)
-sport mode (as far as I know H doesn't have this, I could be wrong)
-faster flying speed (in sport)
-third party apps (not that it matters, imo anything not official isn't that good)
-downward facing camera's and sensors for indoor flight (please don't do it anyways)

TyH

-6 props, more stability and it can survive up to two motor failure
-carbon fiber parts (no stress cracks hopefully)
-360 degree camera rotation
-two pilot system out of the box (no extra transmitter included, backwards compatible)
-3DR solo-like shooting modes out of the box (sorry didn't feel like getting into detail here )
-intel sense, IF it works like demonstrated, is insane,
Yuneec Typhoon H Avoids Falling Tree - Unveiled at CES 2016 by Intel (5 min 27 sec)

-folding design makes it easier to carry
-included with purchase is one extra battery, carrying case
-no need to purchase tablet or worry about weather you have android or IOS, as it is built into the controller

Price

P4 is 1400, TyH is 1800. keep in mind with typhoon you don't need to buy a tablet, carrying backpack and extra battery, which is roughly $350 low ball estimate, so for people who already don't own any of those, cost should be the same. also intel smart sense is expected to be around $200. so while basic sonar based object avoidance works out of the box, for visual tracking and that really cool collision avoidance you have to pay more (worth it imo if it is in all direction, which I doubt it will be since all the picture I saw had only front facing cameras)

Cameras are the same in terms of formats and resolution and frames per second, I don't know about quality of lens. I believe TyH field of view is 115 degrees why P4 is 94, not that different.

controllers are personal preference. I like TyH since its built in and I find a big tablet on controller kinda uncomfortable. don't really care about size since it's more about setting up shots and 7" is enough for me, i'll see the quality footage later on my 27" monitor later

costumer service I don't know, would love to hear your opinion

personally i'm not gonna do anything until TyH's intel smart sense comes out. I think it could be a crushing defeat for DJI if smart sense works like that video. I think front facing collision avoidance isn't that big of a deal. all of my collision I have been going backwards or sideways. so with intel sense, TyH is the clear winner, I'd even argue it would even beat the inspire.

if intel smart sense is a bust, I think it's a tie and it comes to personal preference. I love 360 cameras (and two pilot), and don't care about front obstacle avoidance, range or lightbridge (lightbridge is wonderful tech, but nothing I use). so i'm going with TyH

anyways that's my take on it. i'm sure I missed some stuff, so I'd love to hear your opinion on this

btw, I found this not so popular video on youtube, it's some raw footage (indoor, no GPS) from TyH. If you want P4 videos, go to DJI youtube channel, they just dropped a bunch of videos
Yuneec Typhoon H CG03+ RAW Footage (2 min 17 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2016, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonader
I think front facing collision avoidance isn't that big of a deal. all of my collision I have been going backwards or sideways. so with intel sense, TyH is the clear winner, I'd even argue it would even beat the inspire.
Actually I am not sure that Intel RealSense will work sideways (360 deg around). From what I heard so far it is just object avoidance on the front side.
Mar 02, 2016, 07:25 AM
I think this can be a really interesting comparison between the DJI P4 and the Yuneec Typhoon H.

..when looking at the CES 2016 Yuneec demonstration video you can see tiny white balls. These are usually used for indoor motion tracking and I have doubts that the consumer version of the Typhoon H will be able to act like this in a real environment.
Mar 02, 2016, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxer
Actually I am not sure that Intel RealSense will work sideways (360 deg around). From what I heard so far it is just object avoidance on the front side.
Agreed, there's this vid. I was maybe because they demostrated collision avoidance in all directions, they'd make the final Intel sense module work in all directions. Why would they demostrate it this way if they don plan on doing it?

Also check this video out, it seems like ita not just the front, as the drone is avoiding the net flying sideways (edit: so I just noticed the drone has those little white balls here too, so this video is not goo proof that Intel sense works in all directions)

Yuneec Typhoon H with Intel RealSense (1 min 1 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macc10
I think this can be a really interesting comparison between the DJI P4 and the Yuneec Typhoon H.

..when looking at the CES 2016 Yuneec demonstration video you can see tiny white balls. These are usually used for indoor motion tracking and I have doubts that the consumer version of the Typhoon H will be able to act like this in a real environment.
So that's what those balls were for. I noticed them but wasn't sure what they were for. One thing to keep in mind tho they want to absolutely make sure a demostration goes smoothly so it makes sense to use such system, but if they demostrate such thing would it mean they plan on releasing a technology capable of this?
Mar 02, 2016, 08:47 AM
This is why Yuneec needs to step it up and show us what the H can really do in a real environment...We have heard nothing...We don't even have set prices yet or a release date..DJI provided all of this is one day....I had high hopes for the H, but now i'm on the fence....Not one(maybe i'm wrong), yuneec rep on any of the forums...
Mar 02, 2016, 09:09 AM
Fear only fear in life
I would buy the Yuneec over the DJI anytime purely because of the 6 motors. I have lost quads but never a hex even with a single motor failure. I use Naza in my Hex and I really like DJI and what they offer, I would love to own a P4 but it shorts 2 motors. A lot of people might not agree but that is my feeling about it.
Mar 02, 2016, 09:36 AM
For P4 strengths you should add Smart RTH - I think that's a great feature.
Mar 02, 2016, 09:38 AM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy24
This is why Yuneec needs to step it up and show us what the H can really do in a real environment...We have heard nothing...We don't even have set prices yet or a release date..DJI provided all of this is one day....I had high hopes for the H, but now i'm on the fence....Not one(maybe i'm wrong), yuneec rep on any of the forums...
I think it has been proven over the years that people will buy things that don't exist over those that do.

That is, it's easier to make claims, videos and have good imagination than to actually deliver the goods.

The idea that some folks think the H is going to work like the demo proves this point. Realistically, how many people want to do mountain biking through trees with a drone following them anyway? A very small percentage, IMHO.

6 motors vs. 4?
This doesn't really matter - what makes a difference is the total reliability of the motors and craft. Statistics matter as opposed to guesses based on propeller count.
Mar 02, 2016, 11:01 AM
I've given this question some thought and I'll throw out some initial impressions to get the conversation going - I hope we can have a good discussion that doesn't degrade to silliness from fanboys on either side . . .

For now I'm still in the Typhoon H (T-H) camp but there is a lot to like with the P4.

Looking at the features, here's why I say that:

Speed - P4 is faster, but that doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, I like that the P4's regular mode has slowed down from the P3 . . . I wish I could cut my P3A's speed in half. I think I'd have better control of it for the kind of flying I do. T-H is faster than Q500, but again, that's irrelevant to me.

Sports mode - if I want to fly around fast I'll play with my LaTrax Alias. I'm looking for a tool for aerial videography of landscapes and buildings, not a toy. I can see why people who video cars and motorcycles would like sports mode, but for me . . . No interest in this.

Battery life - love the extended time on the P4 battery, but $179 is painful. I typically fly 7 batteries in a day, so it would cost a fortune to be able to do that on the P4. Don't know the price for the T-H battery.

Obstacle avoidance - love this feature on both. Frustrated that the Intel RealSense module is currently $400 on top of the $1800 for the T-H . . . I hope that drops to under $2K as the Yuneec USA CEO said in his CES speech.

Smart RTH - brilliant feature from DJI. I wish the T-H had this. I fly cautiously but ANYONE can make a mistake, so safety features that work well are great.

Tap fly - nice but not important to me. I can fly there without tapping.

Active track - I wouldn't use this but it's a neat feature. The Tech video that demonstrated this showed it got fooled on occasion . . . I wonder how reliable it is. Either way, a nonfactor for me.

Size - I like that the T-H is bigger, darker and easier to see. I can't see my P3A out past 1000 feet.

Design - T-H is very cool, P4 is severely boring. Why don't these companies recognize the value of cool design?

Camera - Both drones feature incremental improvements to the cameras.

Rotating gimbal and raising landing gear - I have yet to see the value of this on the T-H. I can yaw the aircraft and get a nice pan. That said, I'm looking forward to trying the rotating camera to see if it does better. Otherwise, it just seems like more ways to make the T-H more complicated with more moving pieces to fail.

Range - T-H is supposed to go out to a mile. P4 goes out 3.1 miles (really???), but I refuse to fly my drone beyond the point where I can see it. For my purposes, the T-H actually has a greater range for what I'll fly because its easier to see than the P4. That said - if the T-H video feed bails out at 800 feet as the Q500 often does, I'm sending it back.

Smoothness - I like the Q500's stability over my P3A. It is slower and smoother. The T-H is supposed to be even more stable, which is hard to imagine.

Safety - The T-H will land safety if one motor fails. Nice concept but their motors are very reliable, so this solves a problem that rarely exists. That said, a good safety feature is always good to have.

Price - Let's compare apples to apples - The P4 costs $1400. Add a capable touch pad and that's $400 or more. You need a second battery to match the T-H setup - there's $180 more. Now let's include a backpack, which is probably $200. That's $2180. If you own a touchpad you can deduct that from the P4 price, but for an honest comparison you need to add that cost in. To be fair you should also add $219 for the 6 month extended warranty, to match Yuneec's warranty.

T-H is currently $2199 with the RealSense module. Without the module it's $1800.

To me, the prices are comparable.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now . . . I'll enjoy reading other people's thoughts on this as my mind is certainly not made up.
Mar 02, 2016, 01:20 PM
Fear only fear in life
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri

6 motors vs. 4?
This doesn't really matter - what makes a difference is the total reliability of the motors and craft. Statistics matter as opposed to guesses based on propeller count.
I have videos of quads going down including my own after a prop or motorloss and I have video of my own hex flying back safely after losing a motor due.
IOW i do not know where you come from making a statement like that. Evenmore with Yuneec advertising that it will stay in the air with the loss of a motor instead of going down. Where it is a know fact that any quad will go down with the loss of a motor. It does not matter how good the P4 is, with the loss of a motor or prop it WILL go down. Goodbey $1400
Mar 02, 2016, 01:59 PM
The Ground is the Limit
Your comparisons shared is very insightful and well thought out. Lots of hidden costs and values to consider. At the end of the day, its very similar and clearly competitively driven. Both camps looking good for competition thats sure to excite consumers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by websiteauthor
I've given this question some thought and I'll throw out some initial impressions to get the conversation going - I hope we can have a good discussion that doesn't degrade to silliness from fanboys on either side . . .

For now I'm still in the Typhoon H (T-H) camp but there is a lot to like with the P4.

Looking at the features, here's why I say that:

Speed - P4 is faster, but that doesn't mean anything to me. In fact, I like that the P4's regular mode has slowed down from the P3 . . . I wish I could cut my P3A's speed in half. I think I'd have better control of it for the kind of flying I do. T-H is faster than Q500, but again, that's irrelevant to me.

Sports mode - if I want to fly around fast I'll play with my LaTrax Alias. I'm looking for a tool for aerial videography of landscapes and buildings, not a toy. I can see why people who video cars and motorcycles would like sports mode, but for me . . . No interest in this.

Battery life - love the extended time on the P4 battery, but $179 is painful. I typically fly 7 batteries in a day, so it would cost a fortune to be able to do that on the P4. Don't know the price for the T-H battery.

Obstacle avoidance - love this feature on both. Frustrated that the Intel RealSense module is currently $400 on top of the $1800 for the T-H . . . I hope that drops to under $2K as the Yuneec USA CEO said in his CES speech.

Smart RTH - brilliant feature from DJI. I wish the T-H had this. I fly cautiously but ANYONE can make a mistake, so safety features that work well are great.

Tap fly - nice but not important to me. I can fly there without tapping.

Active track - I wouldn't use this but it's a neat feature. The Tech video that demonstrated this showed it got fooled on occasion . . . I wonder how reliable it is. Either way, a nonfactor for me.

Size - I like that the T-H is bigger, darker and easier to see. I can't see my P3A out past 1000 feet.

Design - T-H is very cool, P4 is severely boring. Why don't these companies recognize the value of cool design?

Camera - Both drones feature incremental improvements to the cameras.

Rotating gimbal and raising landing gear - I have yet to see the value of this on the T-H. I can yaw the aircraft and get a nice pan. That said, I'm looking forward to trying the rotating camera to see if it does better. Otherwise, it just seems like more ways to make the T-H more complicated with more moving pieces to fail.

Range - T-H is supposed to go out to a mile. P4 goes out 3.1 miles (really???), but I refuse to fly my drone beyond the point where I can see it. For my purposes, the T-H actually has a greater range for what I'll fly because its easier to see than the P4. That said - if the T-H video feed bails out at 800 feet as the Q500 often does, I'm sending it back.

Smoothness - I like the Q500's stability over my P3A. It is slower and smoother. The T-H is supposed to be even more stable, which is hard to imagine.

Safety - The T-H will land safety if one motor fails. Nice concept but their motors are very reliable, so this solves a problem that rarely exists. That said, a good safety feature is always good to have.

Price - Let's compare apples to apples - The P4 costs $1400. Add a capable touch pad and that's $400 or more. You need a second battery to match the T-H setup - there's $180 more. Now let's include a backpack, which is probably $200. That's $2180. If you own a touchpad you can deduct that from the P4 price, but for an honest comparison you need to add that cost in. To be fair you should also add $219 for the 6 month extended warranty, to match Yuneec's warranty.

T-H is currently $2199 with the RealSense module. Without the module it's $1800.

To me, the prices are comparable.

Anyway, that's where I'm at now . . . I'll enjoy reading other people's thoughts on this as my mind is certainly not made up.
Mar 02, 2016, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxer
We got our own realsense device (SR399) and tested it ourself, the depth range is only 150 cm hence the speed of the quad is significantly limited.
Mar 02, 2016, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiederikHarkema
I would buy the Yuneec over the DJI anytime purely because of the 6 motors. I have lost quads but never a hex even with a single motor failure. I use Naza in my Hex and I really like DJI and what they offer, I would love to own a P4 but it shorts 2 motors. A lot of people might not agree but that is my feeling about it.
Under certain situation, eg, tight space, you can't use a hex. but a small quad can. Also, more moving parts, more chances for mechanical failure.
Mar 02, 2016, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Bump
Mar 02, 2016, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE9999
We got our own realsense device (SR399) and tested it ourself, the depth range is only 150 cm hence the speed of the quad is significantly limited.
Aw man that's really bad

Also, I found this video
Yuneec Typhoon H 4K Camera Drone in depth (4 min 52 sec)

Around the end of the video, he says Intel sense only faces foreward, but bucause the camera rotates, the drone will alway face the direction it's moving, while the camera is fixed on the subjext

Quick Reply