Feb 28, 2016, 02:12 AM
Discussion

Owl - Universal Indoor and Outdoor FPV Quadcopter

INTRODUCTION

Owl is a 118mm brushless FPV quadcopter frame, designed to be safe proximity flier with support of wide variety of equipment and great mounting options.

Name: DSC05138.jpg
Views: 1195
Size: 631.8 KB
Description: Name: DSC05132.jpg
Views: 955
Size: 504.0 KB
Description: Name: DSC05133.jpg
Views: 1974
Size: 400.8 KB
Description: Name: DSC05136.jpg
Views: 837
Size: 534.5 KB
Description: Name: DSC05139.jpg
Views: 923
Size: 895.3 KB
Description:

WHY?

- I got tired to constantly change propellers

- I got tired from being scared to hurt somebody

- I got tired not being able to fly inside of the house without damaging furniture.

A BIT OF PRE-HISTORY

As many of you, I've started from 250mm quadcopters, just because it was the smallest quadcopter you were able to get at some point. I quickly realized that it is not what I needed, because it was not really small, it was scary dangerous for surrounding. Well forgive me, but I can't drive outside of the town too often to fly this strong and scary machine and in the area where I live, kids are playing everywhere. At home, with my level of flying skills, you will either break everything around or cut somebody's head off. So I've got prop protectors for it, but whoever designed them didn't realize that you will need to protect propeller from top and bottom, because otherwise it won't really have the effect you need. So my experiment has failed and this quadcopter was mostly collecting dust on the shelf.

Then I came across 1104 motors and 122mm micro frame and immediately thought that this is what I need! To my quick disappointment I was buying hundreds of propellers every month, so not environment and wallet friend, and frankly annoying.

Then I came across 90mm frame with dp03 7800kv motors and loved it (still love) so much, I thought that this is probably what I was looking for. But unfortunately it missed some of the qualities which my 122mm quadcopter had as for example you can't fly with GoPro camera, it has relatively weak throttle response on 2S batteries (it is way better on 3S batteries) in comparison to what I've got used to, inability to use cheap and good motors on it.

It made me think that it would be great to have something like this but for more common, as of now, 3 inch propellers standard. I've asked around and nobody was offering any solution at this time.

I've figured that I'll have to design something by myself It took me some time to refresh my AutoCAD skills.

While I was figuring it all out, new frame with the name "Butters" appeared and I thought oh, great, now I can just buy and use it instead, but then, after I saw if for the first time, I quickly realized that it won't work for me as it didn't provide enough of mounting flexibility for quadcopter equipment and looked super heavy.

Well... I guessed, that I would actually have to try make something myself then. After all, this hobby is about research and development

SPECIFICATIONS

- 2mm 3K carbon fiber motors holding plate

- 2mm 3K carbon fiber top plate

- 118mm motor to motor distance

- Approximately 192g AUW (built using the recommend parts below) with 610mah 3S battery

FEATURES

- Integrated propeller and equipment protection

- Ability to mount motors facing up or down

- Ability to use wide variety of motors like 1105, 1306, 1407

- Ability to use virtually any VTX and to mount it to top or bottom plate

- Ability to mount battery on top or bottom

- Many mounting holes which help to keep all wires together for the clean and beautiful build

- Mounting holes for popular flight controllers like Naze32, CC3D and other boards that use 30.5mm distance between holes

Name: DSC06613.jpg
Views: 966
Size: 494.0 KB
Description: Name: DSC06618.jpg
Views: 874
Size: 224.2 KB
Description: Name: DSC06619.jpg
Views: 776
Size: 228.6 KB
Description: Name: DSC06621.jpg
Views: 760
Size: 239.9 KB
Description: Name: DSC06622.jpg
Views: 747
Size: 242.2 KB
Description: Name: DSC06624.jpg
Views: 1672
Size: 303.7 KB
Description: Name: DSC06626.jpg
Size: 265.7 KB
Description: Name: DSC06624.jpg
Size: 303.7 KB
Description: Name: DSC06626.jpg
Size: 265.7 KB
Description: Name: DSC06628.jpg
Views: 1160
Size: 257.1 KB
Description:

RECOMMENDED PARTS #1

- 1105 4000kv motors installed on the top plate facing down

- LittleBee 20a or XM20a

- RX3020 props

- Flight controller of your choice

- 450mah to 610mah 3S battery or 4S battery in order to fly with GoPro

RECOMMENDED PARTS #2

- 1306 4000kv motors

- LittleBee 20a ESCs or XM20a

- RX3040T

- Flight controller of your choice

- 450mah to 610mah 3S battery or 4S battery in order to fly with GoPro

HOW TO BUY

There are few different ways to pre-order Owl frame:

1. You can pre-order frame from my website: https://flexrc.com/product/owl-3-frame/

2. You can pre-order it from Armattan Productions: http://www.armattanproductions.com/pages/kit_detail/174

3. Combo Deal on DIY FPV Kit: https://flexrc.com/product/owl-racer...opter-diy-kit/

4. Bind and Fly Owl: https://flexrc.com/product/owl-quadcopter-bnf/

For any other customizations, please PM me.

DISCLAIMER FOR BNF
Building service is provided as a courtesy to help hobbyists, which, by some reason, don't want to build it themselves. By buying this BNF product you acknowledge that you have necessary experience to make necessary adjustments to its configuration in order to use it, you understand that because of the abusive nature of this hobby you won't be able claim that product is not working and request any refund after you used it even once.
We will be able to provide paid service to help you to repair it or to answer any of your questions to the best of our ability. Please make sure that you understand it, before you commit to buy it.

Otherwise please buy DIY kit or just a frame.

SOME OF MY VIDEOS

I'm not a great pilot, so don't expect anything extra ordinary

OWL- FULL KIT Review. HOOT HOOT WOOT (13 min 46 sec)

Test of new Owl quadcopter frame - Bouncing from the walls without much damage to the house (1 min 58 sec)

Test of Owl Quadcopter Frame - Learning Flips and Rolls at home (3 min 31 sec)

Owl went for a quick flight (0 min 52 sec)

FlexRC Owl is fun! (1 min 6 sec)

Owl Universal Indoor/Outdoor Quad FPV test flight (2 min 20 sec)

FlexRC Owl - punch outs on different batteries (1 min 14 sec)

Owl with 1105 4000kv motors on 4S battery (1 min 48 sec)

FlexRc Owl indoor flight time test. RAW VIDEO (5 min 51 sec)

Indoor Flying of the Owl FPV (3 min 39 sec)

Check out my other thread for FlexRC Frog frame: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2631117

In recent months I've designed few more Owls, so original won't feel lonely. Here it the quick summary.

Lady Owl
Elegant 111mm brushless FPV quadcopter frame with integrated 2.5 inch propeller protection. Its target weight is under 170gram. It is ideal choice when you don't plan to fly with GoPro and looking for compact and fast quadcopter.

Name: DSC06971.jpg
Views: 410
Size: 1.25 MB
Description:

More details can be found here: https://flexrc.com/product/lady-owl-frame/

DIY Kit: https://flexrc.com/product/lady-owl-diy-kit/

Mini Owl

Extremely small 88mm brushless FPV quadcopter frame with integrated 1.88 inch propeller protection. Its target weight is under 150gram and purpose to be able to fly through very tight places.

Name: DSC06894.jpg
Views: 453
Size: 954.9 KB
Description:

More details can be found here: https://flexrc.com/product/mini-owl-frame/

DIY Kit: https://flexrc.com/product/mini-owl-diy-kit/

Motor direction

Depending on selected setup here is the reference for easier setup of motor rotation:
Name: motor direction.jpg
Views: 426
Size: 314.6 KB
Description:

TO BE CONTINUED.....
Last edited by FlexRC; Jan 12, 2017 at 04:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2016, 09:24 AM
Free fall is not free
Fantastic design. Tag to follow
Feb 28, 2016, 09:46 AM
^ What FunN4Lo said.

I'm in.
Feb 28, 2016, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Fantastic design. Tag to follow
Super cool. I follow that up closely.

What is the frame weight btw ?
Last edited by newtoon; Feb 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
Feb 28, 2016, 10:11 AM
Novice question,cool design, what would that cost to build and could it be done with motors that have plugs instead of soldering, i cant do soldering, i'd love to do a project like this.

Mark
Feb 28, 2016, 10:15 AM
So in
Feb 28, 2016, 10:28 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Looks nice, and the flight vid was pretty extra ordinary to me. Plans to sell frame kits?
Feb 28, 2016, 10:32 AM
So when can we order a kit?
Feb 28, 2016, 11:26 AM
Subbed! Was looking to build the butters but may end up building this instead. What exactly are the differences aside from the obvious no deadcat and pusher props?
Feb 28, 2016, 12:57 PM
Enjoying every minute of it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc93
Subbed!
Ditto that, very cool idea!
Feb 28, 2016, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Subbed! Was looking to build the butters but may end up building this instead. What exactly are the differences aside from the obvious no deadcat and pusher props?
What Brian said. I'm looking for an RS90 but with bigger balls for outside and not worry about torching the poor little DP03 motors.. Try 4s yet on it?
Feb 28, 2016, 02:39 PM
Quote:
I think it looks nice too. Looks like the larger layout allows for a standard 35mmx35mm stack. Also good use of the diatone camera mount. I wish they'd hurry up and release a 100 degree fov version of that camera though. That 170 lens really isn't the best for fast proximity flying.
Feb 28, 2016, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoon
Super cool. I follow that up closely.

What is the frame weight btw ?
I've updated post. Weight of both plates together is 55g. Hardware is another ~18g and nylon is much lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1000
Novice question,cool design, what would that cost to build and could it be done with motors that have plugs instead of soldering, i cant do soldering, i'd love to do a project like this.

Mark
Cost to build will depend on how much person charges for his service. I like the idea of solder-less assembly but I'm unaware about parts like this. If more people need plug and play parts then we can try to figure something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Looks nice, and the flight vid was pretty extra ordinary to me. Plans to sell frame kits?
I have a few extra plates, which I can sell, if anybody is interested, but price will be probably higher than mass production. If more than one or two people will be interested then I can try to work out a cheaper price or use Armattan production, but I will have to learn about them more first.

Quote:
Main difference is mounting options, you can use all kinds of VTX, Camera holder with adjustable angle, many holes to keep wires organized. Also weight should be at least 20 grams lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman
What Brian said. I'm looking for an RS90 but with bigger balls for outside and not worry about torching the poor little DP03 motors.. Try 4s yet on it?
I've tried it on 4s it was too fast for me to handle, but great with GoPro.
Actually I was able to fly quite well on 3s with GoPro without battery on RCX 1105 motors, but with GoPro battery it was not flying too good.
Feb 28, 2016, 05:51 PM
I'm interested. you should produce these!
Feb 28, 2016, 06:23 PM
tHe n00b on YouTube
Interesting built. What's the flight duration with 3s 450mAh ~ 610mAh battery?