Feb 27, 2016, 09:51 AM
Firepower
Thread OP
Discussion

Zippy Compact 3700mah Positive Wire Detached

A mate brought around two Zippy Compact 4 cell 3700mah batteries and the positive wire has come detached on both batteries.

I made them into three cell batteries as I could not see any way to reattach the positive wires where they came from.

Where the wire came from is aluminium and can not be soldered back on.

Anyone know how to reattach the positive wire to keep it as a 4 cell LiPo.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2016, 10:05 AM
Is the tab broken? That's what it looks like to me.
Feb 27, 2016, 10:10 AM
Kamikaze Ace
If the tab end on the cell is long enough You could solder it back on. They make aluminum solder/flux.
But like you did, making a 3 cell out of it might be a better way to go.

I've repaired such before, and they've held up. But if you don't have confidence in your skills then don't.
Feb 27, 2016, 11:56 AM
Space Coast USA
Not worth the effort. With having to solder that close to the hermetic seal, it would probably be compromised.
Feb 28, 2016, 09:13 AM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
Is the tab broken? That's what it looks like to me.
As per the photo the two parts with the arrow go together. The rectangle metal part attached to the red wire is strong steel. That's the original solder just below the bottom arrow in the photo.

There is no steel to solder to but just a floppy aluminium.

Must have to be aluminium soldered, as just mentioned.
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 28, 2016 at 09:24 AM.
Feb 28, 2016, 09:17 AM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
If the tab end on the cell is long enough You could solder it back on. They make aluminum solder/flux.
But like you did, making a 3 cell out of it might be a better way to go.

I've repaired such before, and they've held up. But if you don't have confidence in your skills then don't.
I have been soldering circuit boards etc regularly for 45 years so can handle steel type soldering but have not heard of the aluminum solder/flux. I have now as as I just checked EBay.

Thanks
Feb 28, 2016, 09:21 AM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Not worth the effort. With having to solder that close to the hermetic seal, it would probably be compromised.
I may try the aluminium soldering next time but like you say may be too close to the hermetic seal.

Anyway my mate has 3S lipos instead of 4S lipos now.

Loos like the Zippy Compact 3700mah LiPos may not be too good as the my mate brought around two the same with the positive wire pulled out.
Feb 28, 2016, 10:13 AM
I'd rather be Flying
And that is why you don't pull on the leads.
Feb 28, 2016, 12:31 PM
Space Coast USA
I tape the main and balance leads to the pack to take the pressure off of the tabs/circuit board.
Feb 28, 2016, 09:03 PM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee View Post
And that is why you don't pull on the leads.
I do not think my mate would do that being a watchmaker etc etc.

The wires are like steel and do not bend much at all and that would not have helped. You do have to bend them I suppose to fit in his plane and that would not help with the wires so stiff.

They have big round plugs on them which I do not have but may have cut off my 5000mah lipo. I just checked my 5000mah lipo and even though the wires a big they are much more flexible than his.
Feb 28, 2016, 09:06 PM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I tape the main and balance leads to the pack to take the pressure off of the tabs/circuit board.
I might start doing that on some of mine as the balance leads have come out of some of mine but have been able to solder them back in.

When I googled this it was all about the balance leads coming off and nothing much on the main battery leads coming off.

I think even being extra careful and putting a nice round on the wire before taping it to the lipo, may not have helped much with this particular lipo as the wires are very stiff and hard to bend. Even doing that may have pulled the wires out. But all of my lipos including the big ones the wires are quite flexible.

Looks like the answer is do not buy Zippy Compact 4 cell 3700mah lipos. But by now they may have fixed the stiff wire problem.
Feb 28, 2016, 10:04 PM
I'd rather be Flying
I actually have a Zippy compact 3700 6s pack and the wires are as flexible as any other pack I own and they are well secured. I'm sorry, but your "mate" just ham handed them once too often.
Mar 01, 2016, 05:51 AM
Firepower
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee View Post
I actually have a Zippy compact 3700 6s pack and the wires are as flexible as any other pack I own and they are well secured. I'm sorry, but your "mate" just ham handed them once too often.
You were right as I just spoke with my mate and he may have pulled the wires a bit getting it out of a tight spot in one plane he has but the wires were very thick and not too flexible because of the thickness.

The wire thickness on my 4S 3300mah Zippy Compact is 5.00mm and quite flexible but his did not seem to be as flexible like all my big lipos. I'll measure them when I see him next. I might be wrong with that also.

Anyway looks like from what was mentioned the wires can be aluminium soldered to the battery but looks like not really worth the effort.

Thanks all for the comments.

Quick Reply