Feb 27, 2016, 09:46 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Build Log

MicroWing

Hi Everyone,

Here is a small wing called MicroWing.

It's a small foamie with a wingspan of 40cm. Weight is 30g ready to fly (including lipo).

It's made of EPP which makes it fully crashproof and you can beleive me I've tested it multiple times ;-). It uses really only a small of amount of EPP.

On board equipment:
- V911 board=Flysky RX + ESC + 2 servos
- V911 motor=Diam 8.5mm and length 20mm
- Propeller GWS 2510
- Lipo 1S 380mAh

It's a nice little wing which can go either slow or fast and respond very well to inputs. It can do aerobatics in a small place. Fly time is around 10-15 minutes.

The design is entirely mine. I've used PredimRC to have an idea of the flight and find out the CoG.
The SketchUp file with the full design is attached. It has been designed to be cut with a CNC hotwire but I imagine that you can cut it manually too.

Here is a video indoor of the first flight:
Micro flying wing (0 min 51 sec)

- Pascal
Last edited by hpnuts; Feb 27, 2016 at 09:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 27, 2016, 04:44 PM
Any reason the servo is around the center instead of straight in front of the clevis?
what is the servo spec, 2g? 3g?
Feb 27, 2016, 08:05 PM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
hpnuts, that is a nice micro wing. I want to try to get into micros but my knowledge is very limited on them, I know I have a lot of studying to do. One question I have is on the v911 board you use....does it bind to any flysky radios or is there something special I need?
Feb 27, 2016, 10:42 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...

Nice mini wing.

Sounds like a good start. Next reduce the span by4- 5" and see how fast it can go.

My 12" is 2 oz powered by a 10 gram brushless and is almost too fast. Gets out of sight in 3 seconds.

Not trying to dis your efforts,

The v911 and F929 both bind to flysky.
Feb 28, 2016, 03:03 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos0306
Any reason the servo is around the center instead of straight in front of the clevis?
what is the servo spec, 2g? 3g?
Kaos
The V911 board is a all in one with built in RX (Flysky compatible), ESC for brushed motor and 2 servos. Check the link I've provided you'll understand.
Latest blog entry: Samson RC Tugboat
Feb 28, 2016, 03:10 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo383
hpnuts, that is a nice micro wing. I want to try to get into micros but my knowledge is very limited on them, I know I have a lot of studying to do. One question I have is on the v911 board you use....does it bind to any flysky radios or is there something special I need?
Yes it binds with a flysky transmitter like the Turnigy 9X. You need a programmable tx to build a delta mix.
Feb 28, 2016, 03:15 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by basicguy
Sounds like a good start. Next reduce the span by4- 5" and see how fast it can go.

My 12" is 2 oz powered by a 10 gram brushless and is almost too fast. Gets out of sight in 3 seconds.

Not trying to dis your efforts,

The v911 and F929 both bind to flysky.
This one is already quite fast for indoor which is its main use.
And really cheap to build using a single board and coreless motor.
Last edited by hpnuts; Feb 28, 2016 at 04:32 AM.
Feb 28, 2016, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnuts
Yes it binds with a flysky transmitter like the Turnigy 9X. You need a programmable tx to build a delta mix.
Thankyou, that's good to know, I have a FS-TH9X that I've been using for a couple of years now and know most of the odd programing of it. But my knowledge of radio control is limited with all the new stuff out there.
Feb 28, 2016, 08:25 PM
Hpnuts:
Ah, i did not view the back side of the board, the servo is attached to the board. when I looked at the "all in one" I 'assumed' it is similar as v922 that has a board with all the rx. esc.... and separate servos. I was thinking there may be a special purpose. :P
I may use one of my grounded/broken v922 board to replicate your design (with straight linkage rod ). Looks great for indoor/ yard flying. I have plenty of 300-400 mah lipos.
Feb 29, 2016, 03:35 AM
Pascal
Thread OP
I'm not sure you can use a V922 board since it has the gyro active and compensating . I'm not sure what will be the effect...
Feb 29, 2016, 10:49 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Here are two brushed wings that my wife and I built.

She built the Bat wing using an unreinforced KFm2 design. With a v911 brick. It was flown initially on the single direct drive pusher motor and it would barely stay in the air, so I added in another motor allowing much better flying.

I built the smaller one from a single layer of MPF. Used a split skewer in the leading edge. Built it around a F929 board.

I suppose that they are are indoor fliers but I don't fly them in my shop.

The sheet that I have them on is a 20x30" sheet of D$ foam board.

There is a great thread about using these boards on the micro scratchbuilt forum here on RCG. Called cheap heil bricks.
Feb 29, 2016, 12:27 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure you can use a V922 board since it has the gyro active and compensating . I'm not sure what will be the effect...
I was wondering about that too. May be it will work as a stabilization mechanism like a stabilization rx for planes?
We will find out!
May 21, 2018, 11:46 AM
Hey, I just found this thread and also your video on youtube of this plane. I'd love to build a plane like this, unfortunately I can't access the attached SketchUp file you posted. Would you by any chance be able to post a PDF file of the design?
May 22, 2018, 02:35 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Some previous attempts at using Micro Heli boards(coax and FP helicopters) for airplanes that I have read somewhere (RCGroups?) years ago dealt with rate gyros by destroying/removing the gyro crystal when the gyro got in the way.

Another complication with the V922 board is that it is for a CP heli, when means the cyclic and collective pitch commands are all mixed by the board to control the 3 rotor pitch servos.
May 22, 2018, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Fury
Hey, I just found this thread and also your video on youtube of this plane. I'd love to build a plane like this, unfortunately I can't access the attached SketchUp file you posted. Would you by any chance be able to post a PDF file of the design?
Nick, I tried to convert this but it is a read only file....I have SketchUp, but I haven't played with it enough to know what I'm doing. I'll take a pic of the file and post it but I don't think that will be much help. Maybe someone with some knowledge of sketchUp can do it for you.

Quick Reply