This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 26, 2016, 03:20 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Thread OP
Discussion

Live and learn, whether you drive, fly, sail, or practice another area of RC

RC should be fun, after all, it's a hobby. Hobbies are for relaxing, even when this often means practice, or lots of effort to get where you want to be. With some exceptions, there is often no one-and-only-path, to get there.

So what puzzles me, is why some members repeatedly try to enforce their way of thinking upon others. Pushing people that, in their mind are "less educated in RC", down to the ground, on a regular basis. Regularly boasting about their knowledge, and even comparing themselves to celebreties that are considered a genius on their main area of expertise.

Problem is that some of these "know-it-alls" are smart enough to mostly stay on the safe side of site rules, and despite being downtrodding towards other members, can avoid getting banned. Some do get banned, and simply register a new account, then quickly return to their old habits, and the only thing that has changed is the username that is wrecking the overall vibe on a subforum.

Now there is nothing wrong with being aware of talents and abiliities, or knowlegde and experience gathered over the years. But be thankfull of what you know, or can do, and remember where you came from, no one was born an expert.

People that feel the constant urge to boast about their (presumed) skills, and think they know it all, and more than everyone else, in their mind thinking stand way above the rest, are to be pitied. If you stop learning, and think you know everything, that moment you start to whither, and in some way are less educated than someone completely new to RC, that still has the humble and eager attitude to learn, and participate on a forum like this. Instead of behaving like it's their "kingdom" and feeling entitled to treat his "subjects" in whatever way he thinks fit.

Luckily the majority of members on this site are "contributors", willing to learn and share experience. And even when there is a difference of opinion, will not make it personal, but respect diversity. I am happy to have learned to know people like that, and be in their company on an often daily basis.

Those that don't want to be part of this beautiful synergy, that can emerge when RC enthousiasts from all over the globe work together, please change your ways, or consider starting a "1 person forum" where there is no one that can contradict your opinion, and where you can register extra accounts, to chime in and praise your own answers..."
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2016, 03:53 PM
WoW ! Finally someone said it like it should be. While I've never been a bully, so to speak, I have worked with many of them. You know, the acronym throwers, the know-it-all's and the braggers. After 51 years of work, I finally retired and now I'm back, after a long absence, into the hobby I love...RC Planes. Funny thing is, there's even some of those guys here and at the fields etc. Well, I take your stance, work with those who truly enjoy the "hobby'" and just have fun and learn from my mistakes. I look for those who accept me for what I am, a 71 year old man, just learning the hobby all over again and it's great! I cannot hear those "others" anymore......life's too short. Thank you for a great write up.
Feb 26, 2016, 04:29 PM
Well i think you can figure out that less than 1% of posts are useful, e.g contain an interesting lesson or data. The rest seems to be more people disbelieving that others can maintain a different opinion than themselves.

I think its part of being an adult, not everyone shares your opinion and in many cases people may not like you or your opinion for no reason at all. Its hard for people to accept and threads just tend to go off on a tangent due to bickering.

Im not sure about the relaxing part (especially if you ask my wife) ... i'll come home in a bad mood if i charge 15 lipos and forgot something, or crashed 5min into my flights.....lets say its "the best of times and worst of times"!
Feb 26, 2016, 04:30 PM
but gets me outdoors!
Feb 27, 2016, 03:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippydog
WoW ! Finally someone said it like it should be. While I've never been a bully, so to speak, I have worked with many of them. You know, the acronym throwers, the know-it-all's and the braggers. After 51 years of work, I finally retired and now I'm back, after a long absence, into the hobby I love...RC Planes. Funny thing is, there's even some of those guys here and at the fields etc. Well, I take your stance, work with those who truly enjoy the "hobby'" and just have fun and learn from my mistakes. I look for those who accept me for what I am, a 71 year old man, just learning the hobby all over again and it's great! I cannot hear those "others" anymore......life's too short. Thank you for a great write up.

Thanks for the comments. This has been boiling up to a certain level, after repeatedly dealing with someone that is just like you say in your first line. People that when at a crossroads, and you have the right of way, because you are running straight over the crossroads, and he is turning to the left, so he has to wait for you to clear the crossing, will just have to try and make the turn before you. Not because he is a racer at heart, but because he just feels like he should come first, and you are second grade material, not worthy of the right of way, despite traffic rules stating otherwise.

I'm a little younger than you are, but I love the diversity of people on a forum like this. Sure, there will be some misunderstandings sometimes, due to different backgrounds, moods, and the ease at which a typed sentence can be misinterpreted. But when approaching each other with respect and understanding, things will work out. Except with some, that always feel they are right and better, even when it is clear fact they are not.

I can relate to learning the hobby again, my first experience was with NiCad, simply wall adapter style chargers, and glitchy connector types. Often the RC hobby was a cause of frustration back then. Now with better batteries, computer controlled chargers, that do actually fill the battery, when properly tuned, and other technology updates, things are different. What also helps is being able to tap into the vast experience of others, and being older and sometimes a little wiser, can make a change too, RC hobby is really into it's golden age, as far as I am considered. I can fly without feeling the pressure of wrecking hours and hours of work, and many months of saving pocket money. A small 15g quad that drops on the grass for whatever reason. you just pick it up, and fly again. Amazing things are created these days, and I happy to be able to showcase these to my father, who is coming of high age, but still appreciates seeing the current technology level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblefliar
Well i think you can figure out that less than 1% of posts are useful, e.g contain an interesting lesson or data. The rest seems to be more people disbelieving that others can maintain a different opinion than themselves.

I think its part of being an adult, not everyone shares your opinion and in many cases people may not like you or your opinion for no reason at all. Its hard for people to accept and threads just tend to go off on a tangent due to bickering.

Im not sure about the relaxing part (especially if you ask my wife) ... i'll come home in a bad mood if i charge 15 lipos and forgot something, or crashed 5min into my flights.....lets say its "the best of times and worst of times"!

Nothing too bad about a forum being for chit chat, as long as the drama is left out. And accepting that there are more ways to reach a goal. And that someone that for instance is proud to have complete his first flight with a self stabilzing helicopter, is no lesser human being than an ace pilot, that can literally throw a big CP heli around, with the transmitter behind his (or in this case, her) back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblefliar
but gets me outdoors!
Certainly does, each time it is dry outside, and not too much wind, I want to get out there. Often there are already plenty of bad weather days, where you are forced to be "couch potato" so let's savor the moments that we can go outside. I also try to teach or kid the value of seizing the moment when it comes to things that depend on the weather. To avoid her getting stuck behind the TV or Ipad from dusk till dawn.
Feb 29, 2016, 10:58 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Well said Henk! I think all of us could try a little harder to accept others opinions even if we don't always agree with them. Some people though, simply refuse to accept that there are more ways, than just their way. These types of people will always try to force their opinions on others without any respect for cultural differences, background differences, or individuality. Sadly, those folks are likely to spend a lot of time alone, and without friends.
Apr 03, 2016, 11:00 AM
A bit late to this post but you are 100% right Solo. A hobby is just that, a hobby. There is no rhyme or reason to any of this. We do what we do because it makes us feel good. If you can't reminisce about all of your failures in the hobby (come on, you know that time you went "what was I thinking") and have a good laugh about it, then you are doing it wrong. As the constant student, I am always eager to learn new things everyday.

Best way to "defeat" any type of "attack" is with actions. Your posts will show if you are really a "pro" or a hack. No need to call anyone out, just demonstrate that you are the bigger person by A) not letting their posts get to you, B) helping out others, and C) give props when it is due and acknowledge my own errors and mistakes.

Not everyone has trained their minds to be open and forgiving, it is our duty to teach by example

Communicating: Easy to learn, a lifetime to master.
Apr 16, 2016, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy GunDam

Communicating: Easy to learn, a lifetime to master.

So true!
Apr 19, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Getting back to communication, another member pointed me towards a good example of how it can fail. Apparently some members have gotten the idea that I would be involved in creating sockpuppet accounts, and several of these members even posted an official complaint on the site suggestions area, along with "proof". If we would all be standing face to face, it would be very easy to see that I am not the same guy as the person that I am accused of playing, and that the only traits we share are being Dutch, and being involved into RC. But enter the "haze of the internet" and the same persistent/stubborn thinking as the "know it alls" that this topic was originally started about, and everything this other member or I do, will be interpreted as further "evidence" of their theory. And nothing can persuade them of the errands of their thinking, not even when moderators check out things, and can easily verify if someone is playing sockpuppet games or not.

I have my flaws, and maybe talking about this situation on this blog isn't the smartest move either, but having multiple personalities isn't one of these shortcomings. Plus I hate to think of the extra time it would consume, trying to maintain several accounts. I have an active account on other forums besides RCG, but don't check these out daily, some have been idle for even much longer time. I already get tired just thinking of the energy it would cost to post under different names on the same forum. Apart from the feeling that it's plain wrong.

Plus I don't need that drama. If I need help, I have plenty of friends here, that will stand by me, if I call for help. So there is absolutely no need to play games, and those that know me well enough, will confirm something like that would go against everything I stand for.

So let's end on a positive note, thinking about the friends you can make here, that share your passion for RC, that's what makes it worth while to sometimes be subjected to drama and false accusations. Friends, they help make a great hobby fantastic.

So here's one: "To RC Friends!"
May 15, 2016, 02:58 AM
@Soloprofan.....I do not know how I ended on your blog, but glad I did.....totally agree with your viewpoint, which is most reasonable....I joined in the summer of 2014 and have really enjoyed the forum, mostly stay in the micros (helis)....i always read your posts when you post there....Dteel lets me go off topic sometimes in the thread he monitors....and I have learned along the way what posts to read and what posts to avoid....there are some really very nice gentlemen, and probably ladies in the forum....as for the gents you are talking about, well one has to ignore them...ships passing in the night...no words will make them change or mend their ways....cheers!
Jun 05, 2016, 01:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChespiIker
@Soloprofan.....I do not know how I ended on your blog, but glad I did.....totally agree with your viewpoint, which is most reasonable....I joined in the summer of 2014 and have really enjoyed the forum, mostly stay in the micros (helis)....i always read your posts when you post there....Dteel lets me go off topic sometimes in the thread he monitors....and I have learned along the way what posts to read and what posts to avoid....there are some really very nice gentlemen, and probably ladies in the forum....as for the gents you are talking about, well one has to ignore them...ships passing in the night...no words will make them change or mend their ways....cheers!

It was karma, I think, that you ended up here.

Since I wrote this, it's been easier to let it be. Time better spent enjoying the hobby, and other good things.
Jun 30, 2016, 10:14 AM
Ayo
Ayo
As an absolute beginner in the RC field (namely quadcopters) the visits to this site were very valuable. They greatly improved my knowledge in this thick forest of facts and techniques.

I thank the people that are motivated to share their knowledge and experiences, beginners and experts alike. This is a great forum and luckily I haven't encountered any down putting arrogance. Hope to keep it that way.

It's a very nice hobby (and since I've learned to fly somewhat less expensive than in the beginning) and hope to meet many more enthousiasts.
Aug 18, 2016, 05:40 PM
Hi Solo.
A year ago, I knew absolutely nothing about RC stuff. Through these forums, I have gained SO much knowledge, yet still know very little. I help where I can, I read a lot, and appreciate any advice that I am given. I don't have as much time as some to contribute due to family/work commitments, but I do as much as time allows.
Without the help and advice of people like yourselves, I would still be in the wilderness with regards almost everything that is important to know about our hobby.
It is easy to rant at other members from the safety of their keyboard, it is much harder to actually give an opinion , knowing that you may be wrong (all be it well intentioned), or even misinformed.
I, for one, am very grateful for the help and advice given here. Negative people can keep their comments to themselves.
Aug 20, 2016, 10:21 PM
Great bit of writing. 100% True as well!
Dec 20, 2016, 11:56 AM

thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing. I have found it all very interesting and love the pictures , your review is what got me convinced and I use it as a great guide to set up. For me it is a slow step by step to learn and the information provided is golden. Thanks Mikroll.

Quick Reply