Feb 25, 2016, 07:08 PM
world's slowest builder
Thread OP
Discussion

I need help! I need to remove coating from motor wires

Hey guys. I screwed up! I cut my motor wire back too far. Now I need to get the coating off the wire so I can tin it. Anyone know how to do this? I thought some of the motor builders would probably have a good technique. Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2016, 07:15 PM
This has happened to me once.

Not sure if this is the best way to do it but I took a flat-blade screwdriver and mashed down on the wires scraping the varnish off.
Feb 25, 2016, 08:28 PM
You must scrape it off each individual strand separately, not fun
Feb 25, 2016, 09:20 PM
world's slowest builder
Thread OP
I was afraid of that... I read some other techniques online, but none of them sound reliable or doable. I hate when i have brain farts!
Feb 25, 2016, 10:25 PM
AKA Terry Till
It looks like a Nue motor. If it is, perhaps you should e-mail him and see if he could fix the problem (for a nominal fee)
After all, he's got the equipment.
IMHO,

Terry
Feb 25, 2016, 10:39 PM
world's slowest builder
Thread OP
It's an HET...so I don't think Steve would be so keen on helping me. Thanks though.
Feb 25, 2016, 11:32 PM
AKA Terry Till
Then read this thread- if you haven't already:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=enamel
Not an easy task but doable.
Feb 26, 2016, 12:00 AM
Air,
spread out the wires and heat them with a lighter or small torch to a dull red temp. gently sand with fine 320 sand paper to remove the residual ash. tin the wires and twist them back together.

You are probably not convinced so find an old motor and make the same mistake again and try the fix. Now you are ready. You will find it easy enough to shorten other motor leads in the future.
Feb 27, 2016, 09:37 AM
extraordinary magnitude
Or cut off another little portion with a dremel cutting wheel. The cross section will accept solder and you will be certain to include all the strands. Of course this is no good if you want to solder directly to an esc but you can solder on a piece of multistrand wire end to end.
Feb 29, 2016, 04:58 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Removing magnet wire insulation
Can be tricky, especially when using thin or litze/multistranded wire. Just heat the end of the wire with a soldering iron on an real aspirine tablet. Nasty/acrid fumes. Real aspirin, not paracetamol etc., because of acetylsalicylic acid. This does not work with all types of coating.

Afterword wipe the frayed end w/3M pad to shine up the copper to tin it, if you need longer wire then make a coupling out of brass tube to extend and cover w/shrink tube
Feb 29, 2016, 06:02 PM
world's slowest builder
Thread OP
Thanks everybody. I succeeded in getting the wires resoldered. I used a combination of different suggestions and untwisted the wires, fanned them out. Heated with a lighter and then removed the char with a Scotch Brite pad and isopropanol. After about 4 cycles of this I had a nice length of copper to solder to and it soldered well! Thanks you all again.

Quick Reply