Apr 25, 2016, 10:49 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter build.

Firstly the RIVETS are done.. Not a bad job actually especially if your not in a hurry. The realist effects are well worth the effort. Received the balance ( back ordered parts) from Century jets can proceed with the gear doors and gear installation. Unfortunately those beautiful fuel tanks that Eugene made are unusable as the gear retracts into them and to adjust the tanks to accommodate the wheels would reduce the tank capacity below my comfort level. To bad, I should have waited until I had the gear.

The new tanks are a 24oz Du-Bro with two 12oz. saddle tanks. Working on the inner gear doors for the mains and the nose door for the nose wheel all of which are air controlled by a their own servo. The main gear is also an air system and has been sequenced to open and close independently. The DX9 will handle this although I need help from a follow club member with the programming. The brakes will be operated electronicaslly using Xicoy Single Action valve.

The motor mounts have been built but not installed as I'm waiting for a Double wall exhaust pipe from Tamjets . The front electronic bay is becoming quite crowded and it looks like a full depth cockpit with pilot will not be feasible. I'm still working on that!!.

Received all my graphics from Callie as well as some additional waterslides from Taylormadedecals. Can't wait to see them on the finished project.

As for the rest of the model its just about ready for painting and with the new parts installed in the Badger Air brush hope it goes OK.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2016, 05:38 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter

Well some good news, I decided to order another VT80 For the Hunter as the fit is quite tight and swapping from one plane to another sounds good but is more than a little impractical. I ordered it from Altecare on Thursday and received it shipped from Barcelona Spain on Wednesday.. What service. . Also, ordered a tailpipe from Tamjets on Monday and received it a week later and was quite impressed with the workmanship. The install was so simple as all it required was a couple of sheet metal screws into tabs installed on the front flange and 4 shims to center the the pipe at the tail.

The painting has begun using the Home Depot latex with my Badger 150 Air Brush. The gun despite it years was flawless and the bottom of the wings and drop fuel tanks are done. Now it's just about putting in the engine, fuel tanks , gear servos and wiring them all up and installing all the air lines, electrical and making it look somewhat organized. I found a nice photo of a 50"s era jet cockpit that fits the scale so may use that to finish off a flat floor cockpit with cut off Pilot and Ejection seat.. To bad but there is just no room to go full depth.
Last edited by BJH424; May 05, 2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
May 05, 2016, 11:14 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work... your really close to finished..
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 05, 2016, 07:10 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter

Yes, slow and steady. Not waiting for any more parts.
May 14, 2016, 05:55 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter Build

All the equipment is in and working, adjusting and fine tuning is next. Started to paint the fuselage bottom the other day and the old Badger 150 wasn't in the mood. Messed around with it for over an hour with no improvement so by this time I was so frustrated I pitched the lot into the garbage. 30 minutes later I was painting again with my just purchased new Badger 175. Thankfully the local hobby store was open on Sunday afternoon. The new airbrush does a wonderful job.

The cockpit is complete with pilot and seat etc sitting on flat level floor. Looks OK.

Started painting the upper dark green today and can now picture the aircraft finished with all the insignia and equipment decals. Can't wait to see it fly.. Should be ready for running and taxi tests in a couple of weeks. I have received good advice from a couple of local club members ( experienced jet flyers) to fly it at Wingham which I hope to do.
May 14, 2016, 06:14 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Good progress Brian! Looks like you need a second coat of green though. Thats the good thing about taking photos.. it some how shows where your light on the paint, that might not be noticeable in the shop
May 15, 2016, 02:16 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter

It may even need three. Not laying it on very thick as I made that mistake with the bottom paint as well as It was thinned a little to much. You can see the evidence of the runs if you look closely. This latex paint is great to use with a little practice. Not enough overspray to even run the exhaust fan.

I'll do the dark grey today and finish it ,hopefully only two coats and then finish off the green with another fog coat and when it tacks up , lay on the last coat.

The decals will be next and then a final gloss clear coat.
May 15, 2016, 06:04 PM
Hello

Nice work!

Im from Switzerland and i am a fan from the Hunter. I saw yesterday the century jet Hunter and its look great.
And now i found this trade and im verry happy.
For my this aircraft is a dream. If i buy this, i make it electric (EDF)

Now that will be hard to resist for buy this plane after i Seen your trade.
But i need to put money on siede for this plane.

Your Hunter is butifull ! And you do a great job!
With passion i will follow your build trade. And i hope you can also give a good information form the flyghts.

Best regards
Beat
May 15, 2016, 06:51 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter Build

The painting is complete. I am really pleased with this Home Depot paint as well as the Badger 175 airbrush.

Now the fun part. The decals and insignia.
May 18, 2016, 11:45 AM
Pro Hoarder
Nice....it looks really good
Latest blog entry: In flight
May 25, 2016, 07:04 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter Build

Minor glitches have slowed me down, Port Intairco brake refused to functional so am waiting for a replacement to arrive. Finished off the decals and started the clear coat.. Trevor's tip of the windshield washer fluid works well with Eze-Kote laminating and finishing resin to give it the High Gloss look.

I had to break down and buy a DX18 as a screw up in the design of the servos ( my mistake) resulted in the elevator and ailerons requiring a servo reverser. Peter at Altecare advised me that reversers were a no no. Thus the 18 channels. Much much better with everything on its own channel. Actually got the model programmed with everything working in the right direction.

Another problem with the main gear not retracting despite 100 psi in the system has resulted in going to a bigger tank. If it will fit.???? Still working on that while waiting for the brake from Australia.

In the meantime took it outside for some more photos.
May 25, 2016, 08:14 PM
2021 EDF Jet Jam June 10-12
What ratio of wwfluid to eze kote are using? Please confirm you are using this as a final clear coat.
May 26, 2016, 10:23 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP
I used this as a final clear coat and I thinned it about 10 - 12 %. Don't know that I'd use it again.

I think a stock water based urethane would work just as well if not better.
Jun 02, 2016, 12:00 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter Build Test Flight.

Test flew the Hunter yesterday June 1. at Wingham.. This was my first time there and with the help of Mike Bartino and Peter Ayache checked out the model, bled the fuel lines and fired her up. Taxi tested it for about 3 minutes to ensure the three tanks in series were working and trimmed it to run straight.

The brakes were not available as I'm waiting for a replacement drum from Intairco and the landing gear was u/s due to a leaking main gear cylinder. Bruce Sanders ( Century Jets ) helped trouble shoot this problem on Monday ( didn't realize in was Memorial Day holiday) and gave me his personal cell until we had the problem identified. Great service!!

Mike and Peter did a great job of helping and advising that it put me in a relaxed confident state to the point that test flying it leaving the gear down and not really needing brakes was the thing to do.

Lift off was normal but an immediate slight left turn turn required correction as well as a fair amount of up elevator was also required. At altitude Mike helped get the trim sorted out and 3 or 4 circuits later managed a nice slow roll before entering downwind for landing. Planned on only flying it for 3 minutes to see what kind of fuel was left in the 48 oz. system. Made a normal approach and flair and the model was down and stayed put. w/o flap. Had about 15-18 oz. of fuel left. The JetsMunt VT80 was plenty of power and I was somewhat surprised at how fast the Hunter is with the gear down.

Wingham is super place to fly jets and the day was sunny with the wind down the runway at about 10 Knots. I've included a couple of pictures but a Video might soon be available as Peter was busy filming.

Anyone interested in ordering this jet from Century Jets should order it now as they shut down production in July for holidays.
Last edited by BJH424; Jun 02, 2016 at 02:17 PM. Reason: grammar
Jun 02, 2016, 02:28 PM
Congrats for the maiden!

This sounds great.
I think i will buy this jet after i have the money by side.

Best regards Beat

Quick Reply