Feb 25, 2016, 01:08 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP
Discussion

Hawker Hunter- Century Jets

After looking carefully at 3 current suppliers of the Hunter, finally decided to go with the 1/7.5 scale kit from Century Jets. I ordered the Hunter with all the options for the turbine version which I plan to power with a VT80. Bruce Sanders from Century was most helpful in putting this order together as well as advice on gear and retracts etc. This is my first build of a turbine powered model which I'm now hooked on after purchasing a Boomerang Sprint from a fellow club member last fall.

The Hunter arrived yesterday via FEDEX and was in great shape. The shipping box was rather large as the fuselage is 66 inches long . On first inspection I am really pleased, the fiberglass work on the fuselage is near perfect and is very light. The wings and stabilizer are foam balsa covered also nicely done. The landing gear is well built and looks to very durable.
Wheels and air brakes have yet to arrive as they are back ordered from INTAIRCO. A 65 page construction manual with loads of pictures is also included

I have decided to finish the jet in RAF Squadron 43 colours and have already received the decals from Callie Graphics in CA. She does super work and is very quick with supply.

So I'm starting this post to get input from anyone who has built this model and who may be able to provide some helpful tips.

I plan on updating as the building progresses.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/index.php

http://centuryjet.com/shop/airplane-...asic-aircraft/
Last edited by BJH424; Feb 25, 2016 at 01:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2016, 10:59 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Nice project! I hope you will do a build thread here.
Feb 26, 2016, 01:38 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hawker Hunter

To date have been mostly trimming and sanding as required to instal the rear fuselage former and rudder post support. Built the nose retract gear box and trial fitted it into the fuselage. Final epoxy requires leveling the fuselage as well as the nose gear retract mount.

Front nose gear doors are next.

FYI also have a build post going at RC Canada

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=409970
Feb 26, 2016, 02:08 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
RC Canada sucks Over moderated. Keep posting here

Got to love a direct drive servo for the steering.
Feb 26, 2016, 02:12 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
infact... If you want to hang with the more serious Canadian builders.. Come to the new forum.
RCCanucks. All the good guys are there. Less moderation and just more friendly atmosphere.
http://rccanucks.com/
Feb 28, 2016, 10:53 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

hawker Hunter Build

The last couple of days have been busy. Added the offset hinges to the Front nose wheel door which will be operated by two Mini Movers ( air cylinders). Installed the engine hatch latches, pin at rear and BVM Hatch Latch Set # 5510 at the front. Cut out the wheel wells in the wings to expose the hardwood gear mounts installed at the factory. Added the leading edges to the wings.

I find I have to read over the instruction manual at least a couple of times until I understand the next steps. I don't know if that's an age thing ( 74) . In any event am proceeding slowly and so far no mistakes. The air systems have great schematics but the running of the lines and positioning the tanks are left up to the builder.

There is no information on a Turbine installation so am starting to think about the design process. I think getting the model totally together with the gear and air systems, servo's installed etc. and then place it on the Cof G balancing machine, I'll then be able to start positioning the engine , exhaust pipe, batteries and fuel tank.
Feb 28, 2016, 11:29 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Good stuff.. When your ready to look at servos.. Ive been using BlueBird on all my jets and GS warbirds for years! Very good servos at a fraction of the cost. You can get them at ThunderboltRC now, here in Canada.. or direct from HK
http://rccanucks.com/showthread.php?...3504#post43504
Mar 10, 2016, 10:48 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hawker Hunter

Slowly proceeding despite a bad case of Bronchitis. I only mention this as I believe it may have been aggravated by a allergic reaction to CA. This stuff really bothers me and as a result have had to don a good quality face mask which is helping reduce the side effects.

The tail components have been built and the rudder servo installed. I have covered the rudder with .56 oz glass and Eze-Kote laminating and finishing resin. This product is water based and with 4 coats and sanding between each coat is ready for primer. This will work Ok for the tail section but I will use Z-Poxy finishing resin when doing the wings.

The wing mounting fuselage formers and aluminum spar mounts were installed and glassed in place after numerous adjustments to get the anti- hederal just right. The intakes were then installed ( nasty job due to space limitations) but once in place are not bad as there is plenty of room to get the wiring and air lines past. Unfortunately the intakes are located right over the C of G and as a result I have had to go with a 3 tank fuel system. The 3 tanks will be hooked up in series the first tank being 24 oz and located ahead of the intakes. The other two tanks are cylinders each 12 oz and mounted just aft of the intakes in the wing root area. 48 oz. will give me about 5 minutes of flying time which for me is good. The two air tanks are mounted under the main fuel tank.

Next step will be to finish the wings and work out the plans on installing the radio receiver, gear servos etc ( air system). into the very narrow nose section. I have weighed the model complete with everything but the servos the fuel tanks and the motor at 9.5 lbs. I'm guessing that 13-14 lbs might be the end result.. The VT80 is rated at 18 lbs. I now have the VT80 installed in the Boomerang and have test ran it twice. What a sweet little engine, the KERO start ups are simple, quick and the throttle response is amazing. Can't wait to fly it!.
Mar 11, 2016, 07:27 PM
Pro Hoarder
Nice work. its looking good
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 06, 2016, 06:44 PM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter Build

Work is progressing and to date the wings, stabilizer, elevators, ailerons and rudder are glassed and primed. I have created panel lines and flush rivet detail on all control surfaces. I plan on doing the same with the wings. The fiberglass fuselage came with panel lines which saves me a ton of work.

The vertical fin which is part of the fuselage was built not straight and no matter how I tried to adjust it I could not get it vertical ( about 1-2 degree list to starboard) so I ended up cutting off the fin and reworking the structure. See attached pics. The nose section equipment plywood floor is coming together and the two air tanks are installed under the floor. The gear and brakes will be controlled with a Behotec C36 valve and the gear doors will have their own air system and valve. The MAP UAT and fuel pump are also installed.

The fuel tanks now consist of two saddle tanks each holding 30 oz. and will be located slightly aft the Cof G. Picture attached. I have received them yet but they are in the mail.

Finally got to fly the Boomerang with the VT80 and the engine is a dream to operate. The fuel consumption on a 5 minute flight was just over 40 oz. so the 60 oz tanks should be good.

Still waiting for the Wheels and brakes to arrive so that I can get going on the Gear installation.

Decided to go with the Home Depot Behr Marquee Latex paint. Obtained the FS military colours specs and Humbrol had the matching colours in the small enamels size so I was able to provide Home Depot with the sample colours to scan. So for a total of $ 11.00 have enough paint to do about 4 models. Got the Badger 150 working so I will spray.
Apr 08, 2016, 04:25 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Looking Good Brian.

Where did you get to fly your Boomer? I got an excalibur to maiden soon. Possibly at Wingham
Apr 09, 2016, 05:01 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hunter

I fly at the Burlington Radio Control Modelers field on King rd in Burlington
Apr 09, 2016, 08:25 AM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Ahh Good stuff. I fly at the Simcoe Model Aircraft Club but its all Sod fields and nowhere near ready to open.

Trevor
Apr 12, 2016, 07:25 AM
Money generates lift.
Thread OP

Hawker Hunter

Rivets, rivets and more rivets. Using a Dremel tool and a 2mm brass tubing to make the rivets on the Fiberglass fuselage and a Nexxtech Soldering iron with temp control to do all the rivets in the glass covered foam wings and tail. Temp is set at 150 as the solder used to make the brass bit melts at 183. Both are working well as long as the brass tubing is kept sharp.

The fuel tanks arrived from Camlex RC. Eugene Christopher ( 450-621-8259) makes these custom tanks and does excellent work. Service is fast and pricing is reasonable, I am extremely pleased and as you can see the tanks are transparent. Tanks were positioned into the wing roots and the VT80 put into position. I can now go ahead with the former and motor mount design. Also finally have the dimension for the Tail exhaust pipe which I'm ordering from Tamjets.

Century Jets called yesterday and the balance of the order ( back ordered) wheels and brakes, gear door actuators, canopy are being Fedexed today so will have all the parts to complete the project shortly. Decals have not arrived as yet.

Weighed the whole aircraft with everything on except the tail pipe. The Cof G works with about 1 lb. of weight in the nose for a total 13.5 lbs. The Sequencing function on my DX9 radio will be a blessing and will work the gear and gear doors separately thus eliminating a contact switch on the nose gear that the plans called for.
Apr 12, 2016, 11:23 AM
Pro Hoarder
Looks like it coming along pretty good.
Latest blog entry: In flight

Quick Reply