Feb 25, 2016, 01:40 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Build Log

Weasel Pro

Time to stop talking about it and get to work on my Weasel Pro.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2607498

I had a discussion forum, now I will be reporting my progress on this build post.

I plan on sticking with the instructions, pretty much. The radio though will be removable. Having said that, I will probably glue the foam battery/receiver covers on to maintain strength.

The antenna will not be in-bedded in the wing nor will the servo's be glued in the wing.

I cut the servo lead channels tonight.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2016, 01:21 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Servo Mounts

Servo mounting complete. They are held in place by balsa/foam filler.

Balsa cover plates will be held in place by tape and/or covering. Plates are flush with wing.

Servo's will be held by friction only, this will make servo replacement/repair easy and quick.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Feb 26, 2016, 08:40 AM
Objects in mirror are losing
Mounting the servos below the depth of the wing surface will cause you to use longer control arms than desirable for clearance ...unless you've got a trick up your sleeve.
Feb 26, 2016, 02:35 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Mounting the servos below the depth of the wing surface will cause you to use longer control arms than desirable for clearance ...unless you've got a trick up your sleeve.
Good point, thanks, I may need to address that. The servo's are about 3/32" from flush.
Feb 26, 2016, 09:25 PM
characters welcome!
Bring them flush. Once you get used to flying the Weasel you'll want all the aileron throws you can get.

mw
Feb 27, 2016, 12:28 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood
Bring them flush. Once you get used to flying the Weasel you'll want all the aileron throws you can get.

mw
I took a look at that tonight. The servo cutouts are not that deep. The standard control arms are protruding the same height as they do in my ME-163's, so I think I'll be OK.

If I'm proven wrong then I can simply put the balsa filler below the servo. The balsa filler is between 1/16" to 3/32" thick.

Keep in mind that I'm using JR 241 servos (skinny). Standard servos mounted flush put the control arm deeper because of the width of the servo.
Feb 27, 2016, 12:45 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Got the battery today, 4.8 v 600mah Ni-Cad pack. Fits great.

Battery weighs a little more (2.6 oz) but maybe that will eliminate the need for additional nose weight. It will be nice having a 600 mah pack rather than a 110. More fun time between charges.

I did have to cut out between the battery/receiver bays because the battery was a little longer than the pre-cut hole. I left the foam toward the bottom of the fuselage for strength.

Once the battery and receiver are in, I will edge glue the covers on to add strength back to the fuselage. I can tell this area is going to be the weak link on the glider.

Glued the wing halves together and glued in the wing spars per the instructions. Getting the wing at the proper dihedral and straight was kind of a hassle.

First time I've used CA on a foamie. Hope it holds the spars in place but that's how the instructions say to do it.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Mar 01, 2016, 01:33 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
I went ahead and used Red Devil light weight spackling on the wing. The foam had a lot of holes and that drives me nuts (sorry Jack).

When I applied it, I used a plastic card, like a hotel key worked the filler in the holes then scrapped off excess so I didn't have to sand as much, when it dried.

I don't think it was a big weight penalty. I have decided not to use strapping tape on the wing to save weight. (Jacks advice)

Covered elevons using Ultracote, yellow on top, black on bottom. The rest of the glider will be just yellow Ultracote.
Sorry folks, I just can't bring myself to use packing tape.

Covering the elevons was easy except when I was done I had a nice banana shape (thin soft balsa) that I straightened out with the iron and my table top.

This was probably good practice for when I cover the wing. Trailing edge will be fun.

Thought it would help having the black on bottom, I suspect this thing rolls really, really fast.

It's looking like I won't need much, if any lead for balance, even though I am using a 600 mah pack.

Right now the way it sits with radio gear on the scale too, it weighs 8 oz.

Not sure how much weight will be added when I cover it. The plans call for 11-13 oz RTF. I'm not going to put a lot of trim on it to save weight, that's why I covered the bottom elevons black for a visual reference.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Mar 01, 2016, 01:56 AM
gas tires and oil
good call on the ultracote.
lookin good!

marty
Mar 03, 2016, 11:40 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Body attached

Glued body onto wing using Goop.
Mar 04, 2016, 03:10 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Body is attached to wing. Next up is to fit radio compartment covers and shape body.

Weighs 3.8 oz as pictured (no radio).
Mar 05, 2016, 12:34 AM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Battery is installed. Kit came with a small piece of 2mm coro, I installed that over the battery before gluing battery cover in place. Forgot to take a picture. Battery is held by friction not glue.

Glued small piece of foam aft end of receiver cutout to add strength back.

The picture shows that I will be able to insert servo lead, pull through hole and plug in. I wanted to maintain a way to easily swap out servo's if need be.

I will make a lid where receiver goes. I plan on just plugging battery directly into receiver, then slide receiver in and fly.

Glued small pieces of very thin ply on each side of cutout. Actually ply is probably to thin to help but it's what I had.

So far, weight including radio parts, fin and elevons is 8.4 oz. It will be interesting to see how much weight the covering adds.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:28 PM.
Mar 05, 2016, 06:32 PM
So total AUW is..........? On my Weasel the wings are left uncovered. Used depron for the ailerons. Worked fine.
Mar 05, 2016, 08:06 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJD1234
So total AUW is..........? On my Weasel the wings are left uncovered. Used depron for the ailerons. Worked fine.
I don't know yet, not covered, but I see no reason why I can't be around 11-12 oz.
Mar 05, 2016, 08:10 PM
Faster is Better
Thread OP

Radio hatch

Completed radio access hatch. It's 1/8 lite ply and will be held in place with tape.

This will allow me access to receiver and servo leads.

Like I said earlier I will just plug battery directly into receiver and reinsert receiver when its time to fly.

If it turns out to be a hassle, then I can add a small switch.
Last edited by Slopemaster; Oct 02, 2018 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply