Feb 24, 2016, 09:37 PM
Thread OP
Help!

help selecting a prop for 4/s glow for e-plane

I just ordered a skyline sbach 342 70 and plan on using one of my favorite engines of all time---a 4/s YS91AC running 20/20 fuel (manual says aim for 13,000RPM). This motor is just a mad man. But, I've only run it on pattern ships with a 14" prop.

recommended prop for the sbach is 16x10E-17x8E. I realize e-props are typically larger than glow counterparts. But, I haven't been able to find a cross reference.

In all my years of flying, I guess I don't really know how to choose a prop. I usually just get whatever is recommended. But, in this case they're for E-power. Is there a utility for helping choose a glow prop or converting an E-prop to glow or 4/s? I know how to calculate wing loading, stall speed, and cruising speed. I just don't know how to use those numbers to choose a prop.

I really want as much thrust as possible for this plane for 3D (which makes me think I should max out at the 17x8E end of the spectrum..I just don't know what this translates to for 4/s glow.

If anyone can explain what numbers I should be crunching to arrive at a) what a good 4/s glow substitute would be fore 17x8E and b) how to derive a good thrust number for 3D, I'd be greatly appreciative.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2016, 02:04 AM
team sleprock
I am not the one ta explain props, but I can tell ya what I plan on using with my ys91ac!

I was gonna start with a 15x8, then maybe 16x6!

although, mine will be on a MXII 50!
Feb 25, 2016, 07:05 AM
Whisky you hit the nail on the head once again.
Feb 25, 2016, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Whisky. I'm not sure how quickly I'm going to get mine put up in the air. If you get a chance to try props please post back with your preference.

cheers!

Quick Reply