Feb 24, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

what is considered an airport under the FAA rules?

the rules say you should contact the airport tower when flying within 5 miles of an airport. so does that mean that only main and regional airports? what about something like the private air community i have down the road that has a landing strip for 15 homes that own airplanes is this considered an airport? i did noticed that the wording says to contact the tower so i think I'm ok since following the letter of the law there is no one to contact... but even small regional's don't have anyone manning the towers all the time.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2016, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff262
the rules say you should contact the airport tower when flying within 5 miles of an airport. so does that mean that only main and regional airports? what about something like the private air community i have down the road that has a landing strip for 15 homes that own airplanes is this considered an airport? i did noticed that the wording says to contact the tower so i think I'm ok since following the letter of the law there is no one to contact... but even small regional's don't have anyone manning the towers all the time.
I would try to contact the people who own the airfield, you could easily get away without asking anyone however if you want to keep a good karma and stay legal that would be the obvious approach
Feb 24, 2016, 11:46 AM
Thread OP
is says nothing about contacting owners under the law just contacting the tower..
Feb 24, 2016, 11:52 AM
I assumed there wasn't a 24/7 manned tower, if there is then I would definitely say it would be neccecary
Feb 24, 2016, 11:56 AM
Thread OP
im not trying to make conflict but i dont want to get above and beyond the law just exactly what is required...i dont think i should have to jump through hoops just to race quads
Feb 24, 2016, 12:05 PM
Quote:
im not trying to make conflict but i dont want to get above and beyond the law just exactly what is required...i dont think i should have to jump through hoops just to race quads
Honestly I don't really know, for me as long as the airport didn't have a 24/7 tower I would probably risk it although I can't advise that to you since it may be illegal....
Feb 24, 2016, 01:40 PM
Launch the drones ...
Quote:
The FAA is screwing us. A private grass strip 3.5 mi from me is considered an airport by the FAAs B4UFLY app. Can't reach the owner/pilot ... Thinking he's in Florida right now.
Feb 24, 2016, 02:30 PM
First. Find out what class of airspace you want to fly in. If it's B class then the rules are very strict. C and D are more open E and G are even more relaxed.
You can find out your sirspace by trying to goggle it but you may have to check a sectional chart of your area. Any pilot in the area can tell your
Second try to contact the airfield
If you can't contact the airfield then just call your FAA Local FSDO

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_brie...NovDec2013.pdf

They will answer all of your questions They don't bite and are actually helpful and friendly despite what people will post after this
I have a 333 and am just learning the ropes in how to file local COA. Register aircraft. Ect.
I have been on the phone quite a bit with the FAA lately and so far everyone has been helpful and patient in spite of my Newbie questions

Quick Reply