RCBenchMark USB Thrust Stand

RCBenchMark's USB Thrust Stand is a cool new thrust measuring device that connects to your computer...

Splash

Static Thrust Data on Your PC

RCBenchMark's USB Thrust Stand is a cool new thrust measuring device that connects to your computer. Install your power system and you'll be able to log data on the efficiency of the system by measuring current, thrust, voltage and motor speed. The software is open source and can operate the motor either directly or via programming. It's a neat way to test and try out different prop combinations to help you spec out the perfect power system for your project. It normally sells for $149, but for a limited time you can pick it up for $109. Check out the RCBenchMark USB Thrust Stand here.

Specifications:

• Voltage: 0-35V
  • Current: Up to 40A continuous with 50A Bursts
  • Power: 0-1400W
  • Thrust: 5 kg
  • Motor speed: 100k RPM
  • USB interface
  • ESC manual control
  • Three servo control ports
  • Output data to CSV files
  • Real-time sensor plots
  • Automated tests and recording
  • Powerful scripting abilities
  • Safety cutoffs

Feb 24, 2016, 03:13 PM
Chris Khosravi - KK4LJH
I use the 1580 model at work and it's an extremely useful tool. I definitely recommend it for anyone serious about knowing more about your power system.
Feb 25, 2016, 07:24 AM
Jack
Here is another way to skin that cat, buy yourself an eLogger and make then the stand and thrust gauge at the links below:

Motor Testing & Thrust Measuring Test Stand - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2453306

Arduino Prop Testing Thrust Gauge - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2112595

I'm not too crazy about the app for this being a Chrome app, I don't like or trust Google to want to do anything by try to sell you google stuff.

Jack
Feb 26, 2016, 04:25 AM
Zarapa's pilot !
Nice stuff, pretty well made and so but has a salty price, very salty. Only for designers...IMHO !
Apr 06, 2016, 11:18 AM
☢ Self-Proclaimed n00b FPVer ☢
Price is now more affordabe (temporarily) with the $40 off discount when you post a Youtube review (hence my video review). After using it for a couple of weeks I would say it's well worth the full retail price if you're into testing stuff a lot.

RCBenchMark Thrust Stand Review (3 min 57 sec)
Apr 08, 2016, 01:42 PM
q {bld(); fly(); brk(); q();}
Ahh didn't realize there was a thread for this already. I just received mine and I will be doing some multirotor related tests shortly (assuming it warms up).

EngineerX have you played with the scripting at all to automate your tests? One thing I'm interested in trying to automate/measure is the throttle response time between motors/props since the focus of tests seem to be all about thrust. The 3-4 blade props have to take longer to get to the highest RPM than the 2-blade, but by how much?
Apr 14, 2016, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recursion
Ahh didn't realize there was a thread for this already. I just received mine and I will be doing some multirotor related tests shortly (assuming it warms up).

EngineerX have you played with the scripting at all to automate your tests? One thing I'm interested in trying to automate/measure is the throttle response time between motors/props since the focus of tests seem to be all about thrust. The 3-4 blade props have to take longer to get to the highest RPM than the 2-blade, but by how much?
Yes, I have. The scripting is a very nice feature and very useful. There's also a safety/failsafe feature that stops scripts based on various parameters such as max amps, max thrust, temperature (probe needed), rpm, power and one or 2 more I can't recall.

Determining the rate of RPM change between different setups is a very good test to perform. I would imagine you would need a very fast sampling rate. I believe the developer mentioned the load cell signal outputs at 8Hz so that could get you just about enough sampling for determining how fast different motor/prop combos react. You would just create your custom script to perform various throttle steps and compare time vs RPM.
You'd also have to look at thrust too I think, since ultimately it's thrust what determines acceleration which is what you "feel" when you stab the throttle stick up & down.
Apr 14, 2016, 02:33 PM
Jack
The datasheet is a *.pdf file and it says:

"..The software is open source. It is a Chrome app that runs Windows, Linux, Mac and Chrome OS. An internet connection is required to download the software..."

But it does not say where to download the software from. Do you know where that is?

Jack
Apr 14, 2016, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
Yes, I have. The scripting is a very nice feature and very useful. There's also a safety/failsafe feature that stops scripts based on various parameters such as max amps, max thrust, temperature (probe needed), rpm, power and one or 2 more I can't recall.

Determining the rate of RPM change between different setups is a very good test to perform. I would imagine you would need a very fast sampling rate. I believe the developer mentioned the load cell signal outputs at 8Hz so that could get you just about enough sampling for determining how fast different motor/prop combos react. You would just create your custom script to perform various throttle steps and compare time vs RPM.
You'd also have to look at thrust too I think, since ultimately it's thrust what determines acceleration which is what you "feel" when you stab the throttle stick up & down.
They told me 7-8hz for the load cell, but 60hz for the motor RPM on a decent computer. RPM data should be sufficient to determine the throttle response, and 60hz is pretty good as that gives up to a 16ms response accuracy.
Apr 15, 2016, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes

But it does not say where to download the software from. Do you know where that is?

Jack
https://www.rcbenchmark.com/rcbenchmark-software/

https://www.rcbenchmark.com/2015/11/...#more-51422457

You can run App without being connected. Some functions on the App are only available when connected to the board

Quote:
They told me 7-8hz for the load cell, but 60hz for the motor RPM on a decent computer. RPM data should be sufficient to determine the throttle response, and 60hz is pretty good as that gives up to a 16ms response accuracy.
Right. If you only want to use RPM. That sampling rate should be plenty fast. You're right. You can just use the RPM rate of change and calculate response time from there.
Apr 15, 2016, 04:57 PM
I'm interested in thrust obviously but RPM should be good enough to determine the response time, followed by sampling the thrust along with that data at that RPM. I'm especially interested in 2600kv motors vs 2300kv motors in terms of throttle response. The only 2600kv I'll have is emax, but that'll be more interesting since I'd love to see how they compare to Cobra/RCX 23(0|5)0kv, which I have.
Apr 15, 2016, 06:17 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerX
https://www.rcbenchmark.com/rcbenchmark-software/

https://www.rcbenchmark.com/2015/11/...#more-51422457

You can run App without being connected. Some functions on the App are only available when connected to the board
OK, and thanks for the links. I am new to Chrome applications but am running it on another computer and will look at that app there. As I understand it, the app is in the public domain and I may be able to use it in other ways.

I did not like Chrome simply because of the fact that it does not have some of the things I am used to looking for and finding in Firefox. The File Edit View... etc., menu is missing and they seem to take great pride in that. But it also means that some of the things that can be done from that menu are missing from Chrome. Like the ability to Email a link... from the page you are on.

But I need to use Chrome a little more too...

Jack
Apr 15, 2016, 06:24 PM
Jack
Quote:
I'm interested in thrust obviously but RPM should be good enough to determine the response time, followed by sampling the thrust along with that data at that RPM. I'm especially interested in 2600kv motors vs 2300kv motors in terms of throttle response. The only 2600kv I'll have is emax, but that'll be more interesting since I'd love to see how they compare to Cobra/RCX 23(0|5)0kv, which I have.
I am curious as to why you are so focused in the response times.

I don't think the difference between a 2300 Kv motor and 2600 Kv motor perceptible to someone flying a plane. The perception there would be that the motor is trying to run faster with the higher Kv but that also changed the load on the motor and the heat in the motor.

The Kv is really what gets the motor operating in a range that is best to go with the prop and battery voltage you are using, it is not intended to speed up throttle response or reaction times as far as I know.

Jack
Apr 15, 2016, 07:29 PM
The higher the kv, the less torque. This is why you use lower kv motors on larger props, and vice versa. Less torque could affect spin up times theoretically. People like EngineerX have already done a fabulous job getting thrust data, so that's why I'm more focused on that.
Apr 15, 2016, 07:56 PM
Jack
OK, but torque in our motors is a pretty mysterious and hard to measure quality and I think we just take what we get. For the most part we use heat in the motor to signal when the motor's limits are OK or being pushed too hard.

Are you relating this to aircraft propellers? The APC company is about the only maker of RC props that has much data available to users. If you look at their performance data download you can see numerous references to torque in some of the data but I've never made any use of it or really found a use for it:

https://www.apcprop.com/v/PERFILES_W...tDatafiles.asp

I do look at the power needed to get a given prop to a given RPM and the thrust produced at that RPM though, that is useful and compares well to what I see in static testing. I have to convert input power in HP to Watts and the Lbf in thrust to grams for most RC purposes but that is not too much trouble.

Jack

Quick Reply