Jun 03, 2019, 08:37 AM
At $2 piece not exactly breaking the bank. And I can change all 4 in 15 min. If I set them up with those plugs shown I could do it in the field. Another word of wisdom. You don't need 21 screws to hold it together 8 or 10 does the trick
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2019, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have bought plenty of motors and have replaced them many times on my other h502 quads. I agree with you John: They are relatively cheap and easy to replace. While it’s a nuisance when the motors burn out so frequently, I think it’s still worth it because I really enjoy flying this little quad.
Jun 04, 2019, 02:29 PM
My most trusted quad. Most others have shown tendency to misbehave.
Jun 12, 2019, 06:21 AM
Well, I guess the old adage is true: If it’s too good to be true, it probably is. The seller of that $19 Hubsan h502s that I paid for sent eBay phoney tracking information. The good news is I got a refund from eBay within a few minutes of discovering this fraud.
Jun 12, 2019, 09:04 AM
soar-ne
Since we are talking ebay buying, has anyone in this group purchased one of those 501's that are listed as pre-owned. I think that seller that has them is reliable as I have bought several quads from him and also parts. Just wondering for a future purchase, maybe in the fall. Still having a good time flying my h109 you guys recomended!!! Flew my 502e last week and it fell out of the sky, but I'm sure it was because of the dew in the grass got into the vents on a previous flight. Gotta get better at landing on my pad....Happy flying all!!!!!!!

Bob M.
Jun 12, 2019, 09:33 AM
That H109 was a great buy. And it flys so good you think
It is GPS
Jun 24, 2019, 07:20 PM
So does anyone have a suggestion for something similar to the H502E but without all the motor problems? Some of you may have noticed my other post about my H502E problems - specifically motors burning out after only a few flights and then again after replacement including apparent fried ESC board. I'm pretty much done with the H502E after spending hours of disassembly, soldering, reassembly, only have to repeat it immediately after doing all that.

I liked the gps features of the H502E and really don't care about camera quality as I wanted a small inexpensive GPS quad purely for the fun and stability of gps flying. I do have a H501SS but am looking for a smaller, cheaper one like the H502E just for flying around the neighborhood or when guests come over.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:57 AM
Might try this

I did buy another quad but it requires an app and the use of your cell phone. Don’t know it’s motor longevity. Any brushed motor will have a short live span. Sorry can’t remember the quads brand name. I’ll look up what I have home that might be whAt arelooking for. I bought 5 503e. I only fly for 5 min each. I take 4 to the field. Resting is the best way to save motors.
Might try
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-GPS-FP...item4d8fb3c043
Last edited by John Luciano; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:23 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:12 PM
That copter does look very interesting John, especially at that money!
Although that's one of those misleading listings, if you want the GPS function the price leaps up...

In terms of my favourite go-to copters, I personally love the last years model Skyviper V2450GPS.

You do still have to faff about every few months changing the tiny motors, and more often if you allow the motors to be stalled under power but I flew 2 flights a day per copter last year with total reliabilty, and got about three months per set of 10$ after market motors, and spent a similar price on batteries. It has useless wi-fi FPV though...

For FPV, If your goggles cover the right freqency, there is the superb (although NON gps, so you need to have some skills) Wltoys Q696a which is awesome gear for the 150$ you will pay for a new one. Camera tilts and everything! But it is a bit larger and noisier.
Last edited by swallabat; Jun 25, 2019 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Examined the listing more closely..
Jun 25, 2019, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will94
So does anyone have a suggestion for something similar to the H502E but without all the motor problems.....

Any suggestions appreciated.
If you want to stay with brushed motors the two best performing gps toy quadcopters are the Visuo xs812 ($90) and SJRC Z5 ($120) (I’ve watched all the reviews and these are the two best). The sjrc z5 is the better of the two but also pricey.

Personally I’d forget the brushed gps quads and move up to something brushless from MJX. You’ll find the power speed and range exhilarating. Also you will be able to fly on windy (greater than 10 mph) days. And flightime is 14 minutes.

If price is a factor then get the mjx b2c for about $100. (It has a crappy camera with no FPV capabilities).

Or maybe the mjx 5w ($150.00) gives you a camera you can move remotely and wifi FPV using your phone.

My choice would be the mjx b2se ($150.00). Similar to the Hubsan h501s except it flies better ( faster and more precise with better gps lock). (Also uses wifi FPV thru your phone).
Last edited by Gimp Man; Jun 25, 2019 at 04:24 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 04:46 PM
Can't beat hovering and tilting the camera down to look where you are planning to land in my book.

That's the USP of the Q696a, and nothing else does that at the price point that I can find and the camera is good, the card images and video are great (IMHO) and it does 5.8GHZ real FPV for 150$!

Sky viper has a hackable and very user configurable software that includes autonamous flying capabilty for the money, it was a great little learning platform for me. Still is when I get around to changing the motors, but the q696a is getting all my flying time right now.

I love that Q696a camera fpv doohickey. Did I mention it is gimbal stabilsed too for the money?

Having said all that, I've always wanted to try the Bugs craft, they do look like you get a lot of decency for your money. AND that bugs 5 may well kick my beloved Q696a's ass, if it has onboard recording as well.

It's like a brushless version of my craft but for less money!!!
Jun 25, 2019, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the great recommendations
Regarding the Bugs 2B2C without the FPV, will it display compass heading on the display? I found this helpful on the H502E. I would note the take-off heading and if I got disoriented, could simply turn it around in the sky and fly right back although it was super annoying to have to wait for the display to cycle through altitude and distance before you could see how much you turned it. Also, can you cancel RTH once initiated like on the H502E so you can take advantage of getting back in sight and then taking over control again? Are the lights different colors? Finally, why is it a "crappy camera"? Is it on par with the H501SS I have - a simple fixed camera? As I just want to enjoy flying rather than taking video, that is not such a concern but would hope it is equivalent to the H501SS optics.
Jun 25, 2019, 06:46 PM
None of the mjx display heading. The mjx transmitters are like toys. Display height, distance, satellites/strength and tx and drone battery level.

You can cancel RTH.

The mjx has two levels of LVC RTH. At 20% the drone RTH if more than 100m high or more than 300m away. At one bar RTH if 15m away. Also get audible low battery or disconnect warning.

The b2c has a crappy camera. Better than 502e but lousier the the other mjx drones. And way worse than the h501s. Also the b2c camera is zoomed in (probably 80 degree fov. The others are 110 degrees. All the mjx have record to on-board microsd card.

If you are looking for the best out of the box experience the h501s is the best (except for how it flies). Good 1080p camera. Good range 500 m plus. Nice transmitter with built in 5.8ghz analog FPV screen. Lots of on screen info no scrolling....heading, battery power, height, distance, gps coordinates. Has follow me and circle me features. Good flightime (18 minutes). Excellent lights that can be turned off, or flashing or on steady.

I recently got the fimi a3. It should be the h501s killer but I am having issues.
Last edited by Gimp Man; Jun 25, 2019 at 06:51 PM.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:04 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Luciano
Might try this

I did buy another quad but it requires an app and the use of your cell phone. Donít know itís motor longevity. Any brushed motor will have a short live span. Sorry canít remember the quads brand name. Iíll look up what I have home that might be whAt arelooking for. I bought 5 503e. I only fly for 5 min each. I take 4 to the field. Resting is the best way to save motors.
Might try
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-GPS-FP...item4d8fb3c043
It has brushed motors, so it is no better than the 502 models.
Jun 26, 2019, 07:56 AM
I've just watched the Bugs 5 on youtube.
Q696a stabilised gimbal video quality kills it for now..

Quick Reply