Blade 120 S with SAFE Technology

Fixed-Pitch Sub-Micro Helicopter Focused on Pilot Proficiency

Splash

The 120 S heli can be flown outdoors, and with the help of SAFE you can have some extra fun.

The first generation Blade 120 SR was designed to perfect the basics in your transition from a co-axial helicopter. Blade now has a new version of the classic design, but this time they included the latest and greatest technology on the market. With the addition of SAFE technology, your "tricky to fly" fixed pitch helicopter now has self leveling and recovery mode standard in both the RTF and BNF versions.

The RTF version includes the Blade 6-channel transmitter that makes it easy to select SAFE flight modes as well as choose high or low dual rate sensitivity. A similar transmitter is required to complete the BNF version.

For more information on the Blade 120 S click here.

SAFEŽ Technology

• Beginner mode: Small pitch and roll bank angles with self leveling.
  • Intermediate mode: Pitch and roll banks are increased with self leveling.
  • Experienced mode: No bank limits and leveling is removed to provide full maneuverability.

Features

• Fully assembled.
  • SAFEŽ technology.
  • Durable construction with carbon-fiber components.
  • Panic recovery mode.
  • Sub-micro linear long-throw cyclic servos (installed).
  • Flybarless rotor mechanics.
  • High-speed coreless main and tail rotor motors (installed).
  • 500mAh 1S 3.7V 25C Li-Po flight battery and charger (included).

Specifications

• RTF or BNF
  • Length: 12.99 in (330mm)
  • Recommended Environment: Indoor/Outdoor
  • Experience Level: Beginner
  • Gross Weight: 3.74 oz (106g)
  • Is Assembly Required: No
  • Rotor Diameter: 12.99 in (330mm)
  • Tail Rotor Diameter: 2.76 in (70mm)
  • Rotor Blade Length: 5.75 in (146mm)

Last edited by ndfly700; Feb 22, 2016 at 08:13 PM..
Feb 23, 2016, 05:42 PM
DFS#000178
It's still brushed.

Also, the battery in the front seems like a downgrade. Do you have to remove the canopy to change the battery?
Feb 23, 2016, 06:13 PM
I think I still have the original around somewhere. Can't remember if I sold it. Anyways it was pretty anemic so guessing this is similar given it's still brushed as you said.
Feb 23, 2016, 06:39 PM
DFS#000178
I enjoyed mine, and this should solve the biggest issue with it--the autostability tendencies of the 45* flybar--but at the same time, coming so late in the game, I would've expected it to be brushless, at least.

Back when the 120SR was a popular bird, before quads and the likes, the big calling was for a 120-size CP bird. Basically a bigger mCPX. This isn't really that.

It's a step forward, but I wonder if it's a step forward in the right direction.
Feb 23, 2016, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
It's still brushed.

Also, the battery in the front seems like a downgrade. Do you have to remove the canopy to change the battery?
Hi Rampage,

I saw the 120 S in person at E-Fest and it's different than what's shown on the web site. The model Blade had on display has a battery holder below the main gear so the canopy does not need to be removed when changing batteries. It matches what's shown in the manual. it also uses a JST connector. I asked about the brushed motors and they replied to keep costs down.

The frame is different but they mentioned that the (yellow and red) canopies from the original 120 SR will fit the new bird. Looks like the tail boom and motor are the same as well but I didn't ask about that.

Don
Feb 24, 2016, 12:29 AM
I actually think this heli looks pretty nice. I cut my teeth on the 120sr, and still enjoy it for what it is; a nice simple front yard flyer. It is a good size and a nice handler.

The thing that always throws me off when I am out of practice on the 120sr, is the 45 degree flybar causes some pretty good nose bounce when you let off the elevator too fast. This fight controller should take care of that.

Even though I now am flying up to 500 sized birds, I'd consider selling my original one and getting one of these. Still fun to have around.

What are the price points being listed at?
Feb 24, 2016, 10:10 AM
CRASH, FIX, REPEAT
BNF is listed for $119.99
Feb 25, 2016, 09:50 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
I enjoyed mine, and this should solve the biggest issue with it--the autostability tendencies of the 45* flybar--but at the same time, coming so late in the game, I would've expected it to be brushless, at least.

Back when the 120SR was a popular bird, before quads and the likes, the big calling was for a 120-size CP bird. Basically a bigger mCPX. This isn't really that.

It's a step forward, but I wonder if it's a step forward in the right direction.
And that arrived as the 130X, quite a while ago. A little bit bigger, but not by much.

this is an update of an oldie but a goodie. A simple, SAFE-equipped FP bird for those learning to fly, with a wider performance envelope than the old 120SR, so you won't get bored as quick.
Feb 25, 2016, 10:25 AM
This is good size and most likey easy to fly for newer flyer. Step up in size from 100 sized FBL F/P. Plus Safe feature. While not everybodies cup of tea at least a decent f/p heli. You can not please everybody but Blade agin comes out with new different product. Shoud be fun heli for right folks.
Feb 25, 2016, 12:48 PM
I'll trade you my 120sr and an extra 5 in 1 board, for one of these 120s
Feb 26, 2016, 11:53 PM
Was kinda hoping the video would show the 3 modes of flight and angles. But it is rather vanilla and lacks any spunk, the video that is. I enjoy my fp, not a blade but other brand, for as mentioned what it is. But i'll wait for the masses to make that video. This may make a great intro gift to new flyers.
Feb 28, 2016, 10:56 PM
Just flew mine tonight and (while not being a heli pro) it DOES fly much better than my two 120's I've had.... quite a bit better actually. The old ones never seemed to have much power - even with new LIPOs. This 120s got around really well! I'm happy.
Mar 10, 2016, 09:36 PM
Who cares it's brushed. This is not a high performance heli. No flybar is the main attraction. The old one would bank hard right when you pushed it forward and the flybar would fight your inputs. I'll bet it flies great now. Hate flybars!
Mar 13, 2016, 12:43 AM
Only toy grade new helis have fly-bars. Gone to the past . This new Blade heli looks fine and bigger size from 100 helis big advanage.
Mar 13, 2016, 01:27 AM
+1.......I am so happy that Blade keeps bringing out new heli models! I went from coaxial to FP with the old 120SR...fine heli, took a lot of crashes, yet so simple in terms of parts...great teacher, when like me, 0 experience in fixing helis....a great purchase if starting out, or at FP or for old times sake! Visited Tower Hobbies online......in helis just 3 coaxial, and one FP! Thank you, Blade....

Quick Reply