Dromida Vista FPV Quadcopter review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Dromida Vista FPV Quadcopter review

Dromida has done a fine job with the Vista FPV, and for a retail price of $149.97, including the WiFi HD FPV camera, it's a great choice for backyard fun...

Splash

The Dromida Vista FPV Quadcopter

I have seen the Dromida line of quads in my local hobby shops, but until I got my hands on the Vista UAV, I had no clue how much fun they are! Dromida has done a fine job with the Vista FPV, and for a retail price of $149.97, including the WiFi HD FPV camera, it's a great choice for backyard fun.

RCGroups - The Dromida Vista FPV (1 min 50 sec)

RCGroups Reviews the Dromida Vista FPV Part 2 (3 min 3 sec)

Inside the box

When you look inside, you'll find:

• Fully assembled quad
  • Tactic Droneview HD FPV camera
  • MR100 SLT radio, with smartphone holder
  • 4GB memory card
  • 1s 850mah battery
  • USB Charger
  • 4 "AAA" batteries
  • Extra props
  • Screwdriver

Features

The Vista FPV has a 3 axis gyro and accelerometer, which provide all the stabilization a person could want. One feature I was surprised (and pleased) to find was that the accelerometers can be turned off, which is the equivalent of "Acro" mode in my other quads. This results in much more control authority.

You also have the choice of low and high rates, and a "flip" button. In addition, the included MR100 radio lets you start and stop recording videos, as well as snap photos 'till your heart's content, or the memory card is full!

Bright LED's make it easy to maintain orientation, and also make those late afternoon dusk flights much more fun. Digital trims and SLT technology make smooth, interference free flights the norm, not the exception.

The included charger is convenient, especially if you keep the Vista FPV in your car for a quick flight when the mood strikes. However, if you want to use your regular charger, fear not, as the included battery has a standard JST connector. No special adapters required here!

The Camera

Included with the FPV package is the Tactic Droneview WiFi HD FPV camera. It mounts easily on a vibration damped tray on the bottom of the quad, and can be activated by the transmitter, or by the DroneView app, available for both iOS and Android. You can connect two devices to the camera at the same time, allowing a friend to see what's going on as you fly. I am an Android guy, so I headed over to the Google Play store and downloaded the app to both my tablet and phone. After installing the app, I was able to quickly connect to the WiFi signal from the camera, and was rewarded with a nice clear picture. There was a little delay, so take note of that if you plan to do any proximity flying. Range on my unit was good, I had a picture for as far away as I was comfortable flying the quad line of site. My son enjoyed watching my tablet and telling me where to fly to, so he could get a closer look at things.

The camera lens is adjustable for angle, so you can tilt it up for speed runs, or down for "high altitude" shots. Depending on the angle, you do get props in the picture, but that isn't a deal breaker, and my son said it helped him "know where the quad was, so he didn't hit anything."

The Radio

I have to admit, I typically don't like the "game controller" style of radio, but this one works well. It is a good size, comfortable to hold, and it didn't feel as awkward as I expected it to. The buttons to activate the video and photo features are easy to get to, and the flight mode and flip buttons are as well. The size is good for both adult and child sized hands.

The addition of the smartphone holder does add a little weight, especially when you load your phone in. The transmitter feels a little top heavy, but not so much that it bothered me. The phone is held at a good angle, and was easy to look down at to see what the quad was seeing.

Flight

My flights with the Vista FPV were quite fun. I found the quad was very solid and responsive. A couple of clicks of trim were all it took to get a steady hover, and even in the wind, it was a performer. On Easy mode, it was docile enough to fly indoors, and outside with no wind. This setting would be great for a first time quad pilot, or for getting video or still photos.

In normal mode, things picked up a bit. Speeds are faster, and turns are tighter. This is a great choice for zipping around the yard, dodging obstacles, and generally having fun when you can't get to the field.

In advanced mode, the accelerometers are off, and you really get to fly the quad. It takes a little more stick work to hover, but you are rewarded with even more capabilities.

Finally, in expert mode, you have a very responsive little quad! It feels a lot more like an aerobatic ship, responding instantly and crisply to inputs. With no accelerometers engaged, you have total control over what happens, and this is where the Vista FPV really shines.

Flying at night is pretty fun as well. The "Vista" logo on top lights up, and the LED's in the frame are plenty bright. The bottom of the frame is clear molded plastic, and helps to distribute the light well. I had a great time running out a few packs zipping around in the dark!

One thing I did note: When you press the "Flip" button, and then move the right stick in the direction you want to flip, the Vista FPV will apply throttle, climb a bit, and then flip. This is different than similar quads out there. It took me by surprise at first, since I am used to adding throttle, then starting the flip. I kept scratching my head, wondering how I was gaining so much altitude. Then, I tried a flip without adding throttle and figured it out. This "safety feature," as I have come to call it, will keep new quadcopter pilots from smacking the ground as easily when they first try flips and rolls.

Eli's opinion

Like many of you, I have wanted to share my hobby with my kid. My son is 8, and is more into Minecraft than RC, but occasionally likes to fly his Vapor, and he loves to ride along when I fly FPV. He has a coax heli as well, and understands that quads fly very similar. With that in mind, I decided to let him try the Vista FPV and have him tell me what he thinks.

It flies easy, except when I push it up to fast. It's faster than my helicopter. I like that it can hover by itself, and I can look at the screen and see stuff. It goes pretty high, but the lights make it easy to see. I really like following the cats and the dog around with it, and I like to go behind stuff and look too. I also like that when I hit the ground it doesn't break, and that I can save my movies and pictures to show my friends. Do you think this one can be mine, too?

Conclusion

I like this thing! It's a lot of fun to fly, responds well, and flight times are good. It's big enough to handle some wind, and fast enough to make backyard flight fun. I had a couple of "arrivals" while flying, and it shook them off with no issues. Even though there is a bit of lag on the FPV video, it's still good for flying around in the open, and it's great for checking out the gutters to see if they need cleaning (mine do!) It also get's Eli's stamp of approval, so what more do you need?

Replacement parts are cheap, and there is a really good chance your local hobby shop has them in stock. If not, Tower Hobbies carries all the spares you will need, and ships fast.

More information

You can get your own Dromida Vista FPV here

Thanks to Blake Wilson for his assistance, Hobbico for providing the Vista, and Jim T. and Angela for their support and advice.

Last edited by IFLYOS; Mar 27, 2016 at 11:06 AM..
Mar 29, 2016, 03:58 PM
Nice Job Tim....You know Eli needs a new toy
Mar 29, 2016, 11:57 PM
Permanently Banned
Is it brushed motors?
Mar 30, 2016, 06:24 AM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Yes, geared brushed motors
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
Mar 30, 2016, 11:02 AM
Good review. I appreciate the kid perspective
Apr 10, 2016, 08:38 PM
Brushed motors for kids?

' how dangerous id thaT? lol
May 29, 2016, 11:40 AM

No lift

Ok so I just bought the vista FPV and it barely hovers off the ground?!
I have made sure all props are in place, motors working and everything looks good.
It just has no power. I have calibrated the quad.
How do I calibrate the transmitter? It's the only think I haven't been able to do.
Thanks for your help if you have suggestions.
May 30, 2016, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibes45
Ok so I just bought the vista FPV and it barely hovers off the ground?!
I have made sure all props are in place, motors working and everything looks good.
It just has no power. I have calibrated the quad.
How do I calibrate the transmitter? It's the only think I haven't been able to do.
Thanks for your help if you have suggestions.
Try this

Vista UAV by Dromida: Recalibrating After a Crash (1 min 12 sec)