This thread is privately moderated by GottaZoom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 19, 2016, 03:28 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Discussion

Delta Ray Pro 180 brushed motor - improved installation

Caution: the Pro 180 motor can create more heat than the standard DR ESC can handle when flying at part throttle. After conducting prop tests on the bench, I've decided to try to improve the installation and avoid burning out my DR oem receiver.

The approach is to use external brushed ESCs with either a modified DR receiver, or a CC3D flight controller using a DSMX-compatible remote receiver as the primary receiver. The wiring shown in the modified receiver link was designed for both alternatives (and brushless ESCs/motors) and was ultimately used with the CC3D and remote receiver. A traditional receiver could also be used.

Note: Space between the front nacelle mounting posts is ~21-22mm by ruler (calipers are MIA). Without nacelle modification or replacement, this limits motor replacement alternatives to relatively small motors unless the bell is mounted ahead of, or behind, the posts.

Step 1 - Take the bottom of the nacelle off of the plane to remove the oem motor. and wiring. Pull the prop straight off the front. Remove the screws shown. (The gear can stay on if you wish.) There are also 2 screws holding the front of the motor. Push the motor back and lift out.

Step 2 - The Pro 180 motor is the same shape and size as the oem 180. Be careful not to ground or short the resistors. They need to be positioned so that they will clear the rear motor support (or re-positioned to the rear) and allow the heat sinks to slide far enough back for the motor to slide fully forward. I spread the gap portion of the heat sinks to clear the resistors and this also opened up more cooling air inflow. I also used Kapton tape to insulate the small exposed wire.

Step 3 - Solder the ESC to the motor and battery connectors, being careful to maintain correct polarity. (I use plugs on the motor wires for testing.)

Step 4 - Thread ESC signal lead into fuse and battery wires into wing. Connect and reassemble.

Since the Pro 180 motor shafts are not knurled, use a 2mm prop saver or prop adapter from your favorite LHS or online retailer. Drilling through the oem prop will work, if done carefully. Or choose a prop from the prop test link above and then test current draw. Balance prop as needed.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Feb 23, 2016 at 05:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2016, 03:40 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Reserved

Quick Reply