Aug 06, 2004, 08:08 AM
Thread OP

Brushless Motors -- An Introduction...

i've dipped into the world of brushless motors by purchasing an e-flite park 370-5400 and a 400-4200, and now im starting to build a gws zero but i'm also realizing that i dont understand what motors would be best suited for this plane.

what are the differences between these motors?

how do the these motors compare to outriggers like the axi and mpjet? and how do they compare to the mega motors?

what do the numbers that axi uses for its motors mean? 22/8/26 for example...

will you always get more speed from a plane using 3 cell lipo?

also why bother with gearing? will a low rpm motor used as a direct drive be any different than a higher rpm motor on a gear?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2004, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ron
i've dipped into the world of brushless motors by purchasing an e-flite park 370-5400 and a 400-4200, and now im starting to build a gws zero but i'm also realizing that i dont understand what motors would be best suited for this plane.

what are the differences between these motors?

how do the these motors compare to outriggers like the axi and mpjet? and how do they compare to the mega motors?

what do the numbers that axi uses for its motors mean? 22/8/26 for example...

will you always get more speed from a plane using 3 cell lipo?

also why bother with gearing? will a low rpm motor used as a direct drive be any different than a higher rpm motor on a gear?
I dont know the answer to all your questions, but I will try at a few.

The axi 22/8/26 means 22mm stator, 8mm stator depth, 26 winds

Yes you will get more speed from 3cell lipoly.

Yes a low rpm can spin a big prop without a gearbox. That is the whole thing of outrunners. Big prop and no gearbox. Somes say that inrunners are more effecient though. But others will say thats not true.

Quick Reply