This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 17, 2016, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 5 DL50 Repairs

Feb. 17/16: Putting Humpty Dumpty Back Together Again!
Since my last post, winter has finally decided to show up with a extremely cold, Polar vortex descending on Southern Ontario. With temperatures going as low as -30C! Colder than a witch’s ah…um…butt! Lol! Outdoor activities were restricted to vehicular travel.

This worked out well for me as I used this down time to work on the damaged DL50. I assessed the carnage, the nose section was pretty beat up. I tried to CA all the pieces back together but the resultant repair looked quite ghastly. What to do? I decided to just hack off the front end of fuselage and build a new nose made up of glued pieces of balsa. It was a real challenge trying to hold on to that tiny nose piece as I shaped on the disc sander. No more dead skin on me knuckles to worry about!

I sanded the fuselage end square with the help of a sanding block, then glued on the oversized nose piece. Now I had to bring the nose piece down to size to match the contours of the fuselage.

When I was satisfied with the results, I decided to spray paint the fuselage with white paint. I only had a can of high gloss automotive paint and of course the high gloss showed every defect…..bummer. I sanded and applied a number of coats realizing that every layer adds weight. Before the repairs, the plane weighed in at 255 grams. A tad heavy. I suspect it will be more like 260 g. when I’m done.

I kept trying to get a perfect finish when a little voice in me head said “what the hell are you trying to do here?” “Just get it close and git ‘er back up in the air!” “ There will more repairs in the future!” With these thoughts bubbling up in me noggin, I decided to stop. I’ve uploaded a picture of the repairs. I call this my "stand off" scale plane.....if you stand back about three feet....the repairs look pretty good. It's when you get closer that you can see some defects.

Now I have to wait for old man winter to bugger off or at least back off a bit so I can take “caution” back out to the park.

Cheers!
Lyle
Last edited by Pappyjkns; Feb 17, 2016 at 01:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply