Feb 17, 2016, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for input on my next multi

Hey everybody, I was hoping to get some thoughts on my next quad/multirotor purchase. I put it in this forum because the size range I'm looking for, but maybe it should be in the beginner page? I'm not a beginner but my experience is still fairly limited at this point in time!

I've narrowed it down to either a JJRC X1, or a hmx 280, but I'm open to other suggestions! I guess I'm looking for the one that's sort of between a toy quad & a hobby quad, if such a thing exsists? I know most are going to say both those quads are too fast for a beginner. I'm not exactly that, I have a couple entry level hobby grade ones, for right now tho I consider them to be too big and complicated and/or broken/busticated. I want small(ish), simple, & quick!

What I'm looking for:
Fpv
180-300mm
Speed & agility! Aka: quickness!!!!!
Alt hold would be cool but not necessary. Is it available as an add on, or is it only available with GPS? Need to research this.
Less than $300 total RTF would be cool but I have a Turnigy 9x Tx so bnf might work depending on what it is. But if possible I'd prefer a simpler Tx for the time being. TheX1 is pretty basic looking.
At least 10 min + flight time(obviously more would be better).

My daydream for this is to be able to do 'freestyle fpv'. Fast, acrobatic, overall just craziness & fun. That would be after I get my skills honed on the new one flying at the lowest rate of course...

What I DON'T need:
Long range capable
GPS
Large payload
Pro photo/vids equipment or capability to carry.
Complicated Tx -yes I consider the Turnigy 'complex', although I'm still 'trying' to 'learn' about 'it'. But I don't wanna!
No setting up the fc or flashing ecs's, or downloading drivers and updating firmware or calibrating this and fine tuning that! I really am sick of trying to learn about it while wanting to fly it. I'm sure if I understood it more, I know it'd be great to get it just how I want it. But for now, I just want a turnkey, simple, & stupid fast(emphasis on stupid). Then I can take my time to learn about it all(think sloth-like here). I'm not completely computer illiterate, but I struggle with all the things needed to set up the hobby grade level machines. That's why I like the kk boards, you can get it set up via the built in screen. I know the hmx 280 is a cc3d but seems to be ready to go, as in its already set up? Is this true? If that part is already done, and it could be tweaked it down the road when I learn more, that would be ideal.

So that's pretty much what I do & don't want. Any suggestions, comments, and opinions are gladly received! The more the better. I'd be sooo happy to get one that I can enjoy, with no regrets or wishes that I got one with _x_ or not with _x_? Then I can put together the other 2 larger ones and get them just right. Maybe sell them, or just enjoy them when they're 100%. I've already invested a decent amount into finding what I don't want, so I'd want to spend only $250-$300 on this one if I can help it!

****And now for the long boring part that isn't necessary but I felt like writing it, I thought that it might help to explain where I'm at;

As far as my experience, I haven't been into the hobby long, but after spending a bunch of money, at least I now know what I DON'T want.

Started on a cx10, which is fun & cute, but 3 min flight time SUCKS lol. Then got a Skyviper nano. 6+ min flights and 10x more durable. Did the battery mod for 10+. But I wanted more! More speed, more maneuverability, range, etc.

I liked the durability of the Skyviper nano so I tried the slightly larger s670. That was fun but flight time was 7ish min. So I got a few more batteries, and then a lectron 750 mAh battery for 12-15+ min flights! Lots of fun and like the nano, super durable. I actually tried to break it many times and the worst that happened was the prop/gear shaft popped off. 2 minutes later it was flying again!

Anyway, after I got used to it and felt pretty good at controlling it, I again wanted more power, range, and agility! However, before I bought a bigger one, I managed to get the little s670 stuck in a pine tree, approx 60' up. I tried a bunch of ways to get it down, including duct taping a half dozen 12-20 foot cardboard tubes together(used for shipping small dia metal bars & tubing so they're rugged) to knock it out(FTL), and even tried using a dart gun(just wanted it down at that point) several times, which is how I got it down in the end(36 arrows/bolts later- winged it 6 times, & nailed it twice).

I used the 2 good motors(ordered 2 more), the 'flight controller', and some x4 hubsan props, all on a hot glue & Popsicle frame for a homemade junker. Its indoor fun potentially, but oscillates badly & doesn't seem to bind to the controller 1/2 the time. Still tinkering with that.

So after doing some research(but clearly not enough), I figured I was ready for a hobby grade. I now know that had I come here first, and asked this, I could've saved myself a bunch of $. At any rate, at this point I was seriously infected with the bug. Looking for something local asap, I needed to fly, NOW! I found a Quanum Venture ARF. It looked cool and the price was right. The seller included a kk2.1, battery, & a modded Turnigy9x Tx, and Rx. After getting a charger and a few other bits together, I managed to somewhat set up the fc. I immediately flipped it and broke 2 props. Motor layout was wrong between what the Quanum directions said, and the FC. Oops. Ok, a week or so later I had more props. Flew it 3 times. More learning, not exactly pure fun yet. Lost a prop nut. Damnit all. Another week+ later I have more nuts lol. 3 more flights, I'm getting there. Broke a few more props on a 'coming in hot' landing, panicked& full throttle like 4" off the ground, flip over. 2 props down. Doh!!
Start to get it dialed in, 30 seconds into a good feeling flight, I was doing a low altitude skim at about 5', lost orientation, rolled the wrong way and did a few kartwheels, busted a motor mount!! ....#@&%$!!!!! That's when I decided to do the 'tricopter mod' heehee. A project I'm still working on.

At this time it also hit me that this thing is way to big & heavy, and potentially dangerous to not be in 100% or a least REALLY good control of it!

After more research I came across something that seemed a better fit. A recipe for a 'performance/budget' build. (This: http://fpvcentral.net/2013/03/high-p...shopping-list/).

If the link doesn't work, its a f330 clone. I used the kk2.1 & turnigy Tx. Got it a bit more dialed in(still needs more tuning and has a oscillation I can't get out), and it is pretty fast, much more agile than the venture. But I still couldn't stop thinking about the idea that its still fairly heavy (although lighter than the venture, not sure how much), and it could cause some damage if it flew into someone or their property. I do live in the country which is good, there's a huge field & woods to the west, which is where I've been learning to fly(um...). Aside from cows & sheep, there isn't much to hit.

So all that to say, I've spent a wad of cash finding out what I don't want. I'm still not 100% what it is exactly that will satisfy me, but I'm getting closer. With you guyses help, perhaps I can avoid getting another 'no sir I don't like it'.
Last edited by Alloutofdonuts; Feb 17, 2016 at 11:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2016, 02:54 PM
This might work for you.

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Falc...p-1026335.html

If you want to get into aerobatics you will need to learn how to tune. I truly think you would be better off building from scratch.
Feb 17, 2016, 07:40 PM
Have you considered building your own?

A 250mm sounds like the next step most people take from where you're at. If you're worried about building your own read this: http://copterwars.com/blog/?p=4
Feb 18, 2016, 05:00 PM
Thread OP
Seems like the RC Logger extreme 1 is what I'm looking for. Its looks pretty fast & maneuverable, comes rtf with a simple controller(w/alt hold!). Its under $150 so I could put together an fpv system and still be in it for less than $250. Also seems to have been around long enough to have plenty of support, and parts & upgrades available.

Also looking at the Each one assassin 180. That's RTF with fpv for $300.

The X1 is definitely out. Between the parts and the quad being in China(2-3+ weeks out), and from some of the reviews, it looks like the chances of getting a defective one are better than I want to risk. Its a potty because it looks like fun, and FAST!
Feb 18, 2016, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloutofdonuts
Seems like the RC Logger extreme 1 is what I'm looking for. Its looks pretty fast & maneuverable, comes rtf with a simple controller(w/alt hold!). Its under $150 so I could put together an fpv system and still be in it for less than $250. Also seems to have been around long enough to have plenty of support, and parts & upgrades available.

The X1 is definitely out. Between the parts and the quad being in China(2-3+ weeks out), and from some of the reviews, it looks like the chances of getting a defective one are better than I want to risk. Its a potty because it looks like fun, and FAST!
You are too funny. you come here for advice and completely ignore the advice given. lol.

Anyways, the reason i picked the Falcon over the Assassin 180 is the fact that everything is interchangeable. It has a Naza 32 flight controller. just regular esc, and motors. nothing proprietary. Hell the radio equipment is $54.00, and i almost purchased it for my first build. Basically, it is like you paid someone to build you a quad. This way if you break anything it is easily fixable. if you want to upgrade the motors. go right ahead. The Assassin has a propitiatory battery. Honestly that is as far as i looked at it. maybe you can just solder a new power cord and good to go with any battery. not sure.

I will admit the extreme 1 does look neat, but it looks to me like you are just adding another money suck to your collection. I think it is time for you to start using the radio equipment you have. sorry to be blunt. it is just my 2 cents.
Feb 18, 2016, 08:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msand2081
You are too funny. you come here for advice and completely ignore the advice given. lol.

Anyways, the reason i picked the Falcon over the Assassin 180 is the fact that everything is interchangeable. It has a Naza 32 flight controller. just regular esc, and motors. nothing proprietary. Hell the radio equipment is $54.00, and i almost purchased it for my first build. Basically, it is like you paid someone to build you a quad. This way if you break anything it is easily fixable. if you want to upgrade the motors. go right ahead. The Assassin has a propitiatory battery. Honestly that is as far as i looked at it. maybe you can just solder a new power cord and good to go with any battery. not sure.

I will admit the extreme 1 does look neat, but it looks to me like you are just adding another money suck to your collection. I think it is time for you to start using the radio equipment you have. sorry to be blunt. it is just my 2 cents.
I didn't completely ignore the advice!! I was just at work, reading(on here) about the Extreme, & also kept seeing the add for the assassin(again- on here lol). Got excited, & made a quick reply. I had intended to reply to the comments after work.

The falcon looks like a deal too. Seems like I'd just need a video Rx & monitor. I'm turned off by the shipping from China tho. The last time I bought something on Ebay(that was listed in the US btw), it took 4 & 1/2 weeks. Even though the price is $65 less than on eBay, its a toss up.

I think the point is being missed tho. Right now I want something cheapish, ready to go, uncomplicated, and somewhat quick.

The other 2 quads, I will get them set up to run the way they should in due time. But I hate when I want to just 'play' and have some fun, but instead have to figure something out first, or learn how it works. I want to, sure, and I definitely will and am still learninf. But I also want to have fun actually flying!

How's that line go, "all work and no play makes Jack a something something".
Feb 18, 2016, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacwdavis
Have you considered building your own?

A 250mm sounds like the next step most people take from where you're at. If you're worried about building your own read this: http://copterwars.com/blog/?p=4
Ya, I did just that! And it did teach me a lot. After crashing the Venture several times and realizing I needed to learn more, I used this guide & built one just like his(except mine uses the ventures 8045 props):
http://fpvcentral.net/2013/03/high-p...shopping-list/

Mine's probably at 90% of what I want it to be, basically I think its down to slight tweaking the values& maybe different props. But I want something a tad smaller and simpler. Just charge the battery & fly!
Feb 19, 2016, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloutofdonuts

I'm sorry i just don't know if you will find something that is RTF no fuss out of the box and state side. I started looking int the RC logger eye one extreme. I have yet to find a place that sells it state side. Amazon has it from a Japaneses company. then i came across this blog that stated
"Editors Note (from craigi – admin) – Due to hundreds of reported problems, we (site admin) cannot suggest this quadcopter to either beginners….or to anyone other than those who desire to hack, replace parts, etc.
While I hope this changes sometime in the future, the current models have proven unreliable and expensive to maintain."
Now this blog is dated May 2014, so maybe it has changed.

here is a link: http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/05/e...full-review-2/

I hope you find what you are looking for. I just think I am not going to be much help.. sorry.

found it state side: http://www.helidirect.com/rc-logger-...me-mode-2.html
Last edited by Msand2081; Feb 19, 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Feb 19, 2016, 12:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msand2081
I'm sorry i just don't know if you will find something that is RTF no fuss out of the box and state side. I started looking int the RC logger eye one extreme. I have yet to find a place that sells it state side. Amazon has it from a Japaneses company. then i came across this blog that stated
"Editors Note (from craigi – admin) – Due to hundreds of reported problems, we (site admin) cannot suggest this quadcopter to either beginners….or to anyone other than those who desire to hack, replace parts, etc.
While I hope this changes sometime in the future, the current models have proven unreliable and expensive to maintain."
Now this blog is dated May 2014, so maybe it has changed.

here is a link: http://www.droneflyers.com/2014/05/e...full-review-2/

I hope you find what you are looking for. I just think I am not going to be much help.. sorry.

found it state side: http://www.helidirect.com/rc-logger-...me-mode-2.html
What do you mean? You've been very helpful!! The Eachine Falcon has bumped out the X1 & HMX 280 on my list, still reading about it and searching on others too. I may have not found that one by myself.

I've found a few places that carry RC LOGGER brand here, that one, rcdrones.com, and even on eBay. I hadn't yet seen that review thread on droneflyers tho. Thanks for the info & most definitely thanks for your opinion!
Last edited by Alloutofdonuts; Feb 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM.
Feb 19, 2016, 09:09 PM
Msand2081 pointed you at a RTF and also pointed out you should build your own and he's right. You've already laid down a good specification for yourself, it's one that also radiates with hard heavy crashes because you want to fly it with attitude and be fast.

Separately, the FPV component will shut down many a discussion when used in conjunction with RTF, as it in itself is a $1000 system to get right. So if you can get a RTF/ARF/BNF to suit, get it.

Now I want one!
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Falc...p-1026335.html

Very good value!
May 17, 2016, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Bringing this back after some more experiences. Still looking for 'the one' lol. I think I'm looking for micro size, like a picnic quads or similar. I was thinking brushless is better but now I think brushed is ok too.

I ended up getting the EOX(yes, against sound advice!). It's neat in theory, but too many components are far too weak IMO(frame, props, motor mounts, etc), and I absolutely hate that the motors shut off the very second that you barely knick a leaf! Although good from a safety standpoint, I think it should take more to trigger the cut off. Ordering a PQ frame to reassemble the EOX.

I also recently did 2 smaller builds after the EOX. Built a 235mm 'X' cf frame, DYS 1806 motors from RC DRONES, emax 12a esc's, kk mini 2.1.5, & mini fsr6b Rx. That was fun but lacked the room for FPV.

So I got a 210 eBay kit. After figuring out the Naze 32 10ofd with help here, it's flying very nice. After the naze, going back to the kk seems night & day. Although I don't think I got it set right or something, it kind of wobbles(?) Like when a top is about to fall down.

Those are fun, I have to get some goggles, the screen just isn't cutting it. But I still would like something smaller for the majority of my flying.

I also built a Tricopter from some of the Quanum Venture components & 3/4" plastic EMT pipe. It fly's well, and is stable. I call it my wrecker-copter because I've used it twice with fishing line to get the 235 out of a tree! I'm working on an EMT frame for the Venture as well.

Quick Reply