Feb 16, 2016, 09:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

I need some advice. i have a 106" ugly stick with a folding wing. I have no instruc

tions. I also do not know the kit manufactorer. The fuse and stab and rudder are built. the wing is also built. i was going to throw a g62 on it and have some fun. i have the engine but i o not know the CG and throws! I bought the assembled kit from an older gentleman in 1999 so it's an old kit. Any advise? the wing folds with and alum bar that helps i line up!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2016, 11:05 AM
Pics might help ID your plane. There's been a ton of Stik type planes around for years.

I'm curious about the "folding wing" ..... I'm not quite understanding... unless you mean a "2-peice wing".... and maybe you're referring to the aluminum "SPAR" as a bar.

So, since you have a wing-span, you might measure a length, throw some pics up..... as if we can see the structure, that is another way to ID certain manufacturers, as you said it was a kit, and there's alot of kit builders here on the forums that might recognize the design.... (other then it being a Stik).... the more pics, and info you give, the more feedback you'll get. It is a Stik, so it really shouldn't be too hard to find your info, these are just suggestions for you.

We can only go on the info you provide. Good luck with it.
Feb 17, 2016, 12:34 PM
A.M.R. makes a 106" wingspan stick kit.

https://amr-rc.com/products/giant-stick-50?taxon_id=475

You might try contacting them about either getting a copy of the manual, or at least the balance, and control throw information.

Of course being a stick, you could probably set the balance point at the spar, and as long as you don't go crazy on the control throws, it should fly.
Feb 17, 2016, 03:50 PM
The CG is on the main wing spar. Control throws is pretty normal for stick planes. Nothing radical. They don't put in wild throws like for 3D stunt planes.
Feb 18, 2016, 01:31 PM
supreme being of leisure
hobby crack had a 106" stick kit back in the day. was a hoot with a G38, would be awesome with a G62.
Feb 18, 2016, 02:55 PM
yeah... I knew there were a few manufacturer's in this size range, and probably a few more that have been forgotten...

Although the principle about balancing a plane at the main spar is a good starting point, I'm very hesitant to post such info on a plane of this size.... ESPECIALLY a plane of this size, without seeing any pics or structure, or knowing the skill level of any particular poster...

If this were a .40-.60(ish..) size plane I would fully agree CG is very near, or at the main spar.. but the info given is hard enough to decifer....

..."the wing folds with and alum bar that helps i line up"...... I'd still like more clarification then that on the system/design of this plane before rendering such advice... and remember there were several "Stiks" out there... Some had one piece wings(the older generations...)... some more modern wings have a 2-peice wing with a "tube"(not a spar..).... and some(maybe not this one..) had 2 spars... It's a wide wing... with many possibilities...

It's all good.... Just sayin'.
Last edited by DGrant; Feb 18, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Feb 18, 2016, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
The wing and fuse are at my farm which is 45 minutes from my house. Next time I go out there i will take a pic. The wing folds in half with a hinge. It then folds out with an alum support. It is actually pretty dang nice the way it folds! It is all built and other than hangar rash is ready to cover. i was thinking maybe monokote or perhaps fabric?
Feb 18, 2016, 05:04 PM
Very cool. Take a few or more pics, of different angle/perspectives if you can. It does sound interesting. It might be a custom type of design, or a one-off of something that's familiar to some builders/designers. Possibly a plans-built plane that a builder might have retroed his own design into.

Which is my point of knowing what we're talking about, as there are other ways of finding/figuring/knowing where a center-of-gravity should in relationship to the whole model.

There's also a rule about 30% of the chord measured from leading edge of wing.... just for conversation sake.... given that this is a "Stik" like plane, which would tell us it's a "constant-chord" wing... but with the "folding wing" concept... was it designed with the "fold" located at the CG?... it might not be best to assume that... again, all good, I'm just throwing out ideas and such. Grab the pics when you can.

Quick Reply