This thread is privately moderated by GottaZoom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 16, 2016, 04:26 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Discussion

Delta Ray receiver with ESC connections

Has anyone else ever wished they could connect traditional motor speed controls (ESCs) directly to the Delta Ray receiver?

My regular flying buddy has completed several Delta Ray projects, with and without the stock Delta Ray receiver. We've both dreamed of being able to connect regular ESCs to the receiver in order to keep all of the other nice features that we have enjoyed since we bought our Delta Rays.

The images below are of a once stock receiver board - resurrected from its untimely death- modified to allow connecting traditional speed controls (ESCs).

Front view - Output leads for throttle signals to ESCs replace the stock motor leads

Back view s - Mosfets removed with new leads attached

Note: large capacitor also upgraded to 16V to allow 3S power

This ESC started out stock, but one of the mosfets burned out from excess heat while running with brushed motors. Many thanks to RCG members who have inspired and/or directly contributed to this modification test:

- AJ.K., who documented the receiver board layout/components

- Imboeschi, who created a solution to run upgraded brushed motors

- EArHog, who donated this particular receiver board with its blown FET

- Anonymous for doing the modifications

- And many other Delta Ray thread participants for their ideas and encouragement.

The throttle signals have a nice linear flow from 0 to full throttle.

The amplitude of the pulses = 3.3V
The Frequency = 15kHz.

Motor tests will next help determine if ESCs will use this 3V signal to run the motors normally, or if a signal amplifier might be needed, or if a unique ESC solution will be needed.

See the next post below for motor tests using brushed and brushless ESCs, using 2 different motors for each ESC.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Feb 19, 2016 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2016, 04:26 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Scenario #1: No common ground with 2 separate batteries, 1 for RX and another for ESC/motor

Results: ESC fails to arm (17 Feb)

Test #1 = HobbyWing brushed ESC with Pro180 motor

Test #2 = HK 10A brushless ESC with HK AD100L motor

Scenario #2: Common ground with 1 battery for RX and ESC/motor

Results: ESC fails to arm (18 Feb)

Test #3 = same as #1 & #2 above

Scenario #3: 32 bit ESC capable of fast duty cycle (OneShot42 firmware)

Results: ESC did not recognize the signal even though within range. ESC working confirmed by running 2S motor off alternate receiver.

Test #4 = VGood 18A ESC with 2S motor

Scenario #4: BLHeli with DR-specific firmware

Results: Success! ESCs recognized the signal, armed and ran motor very smoothly! A description of the first test run of motor and video with the flashed ESC can be found at the success link. On to a new build! (22 April)

Test #5 = Afro 20A Race Spec Mini ESCs with 2204 motor. ESC has Atmel MCU flashed with BLHeli Delta Ray Edition firmware.
Last edited by GottaZoom; Apr 28, 2016 at 05:50 PM.
Feb 16, 2016, 04:27 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Wiring for ESCs going into wings. I love heat shrink, it covers my barely adequate soldering!

Blue EC2 connectors used to connect to ESCs. Eliminates soldering in plane and plugs in tight fuselage. Hopefully will make for easier ESC/motor/brush changes.

Red JST-RCY added to connect UBEC when there is no usable BEC from either of the ESCs.

(28 April Update) The Delta Ray receiver antenna managed to get weakened and broken off through handling but it was repaired and passed a low power range check today. It will get a couple little spots of hot glue to insulate and hold the thin soldered wires to the PCB.

The wire is connected by two parts. The center core wire is the active antenna only for the ~31mm section at the end of the wire and it is soldered to the radio section on the receiver. Because the metal shield or outer wire covers the center core, it significantly block radio reception for the larger portion of the wire. The outer wire is woven metal over an inner insulation between the two metal parts called the dielectric layer and the woven metal is tinned and soldered to the PCB as its ground plane.

Last edited by GottaZoom; Apr 28, 2016 at 06:09 PM.
Feb 19, 2016, 11:29 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Brushless build log
Last edited by GottaZoom; Jul 01, 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Jul 01, 2016, 03:22 PM
Stunning!!!
Latest blog entry: FrSky Long Range!
Jul 01, 2016, 03:41 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemsGuy View Post
Stunning!!!
Thanks! Sure glad to have had many helpers. Planning to have a brushless maiden next week.
Jul 01, 2016, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
Thanks! Sure glad to have had many helpers. Planning to have a brushless maiden next week.
My wife was a bit peeved to see me digging the DR out of storage! :-)
Jul 01, 2016, 03:46 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
My wife was a bit peeved to see me digging the DR out of storage! :-)
LOL, maybe when she flies it she'll want it for her own.
Jul 01, 2016, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom View Post
LOL, maybe when she flies it she'll want it for her own.
She's big into gliders at the moment - and far be it for me to complain! BTW - feel free to clean these up when you want the spots.
Jul 01, 2016, 05:47 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Quote:
She's big into gliders at the moment
I love catching thermals with the DR and hanging around up there with the hawks - maybe use ESCs that brake and folding props?
Mar 19, 2017, 10:02 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
Thread OP
Link from Imboeschi where he explained a possible reason for a blown mosfet in a DR receiver.

Quick Reply