Feb 16, 2016, 01:02 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DX7 Gen 2 vs DX8 Gen 2

Hi, looking to get back into the hobby after a long layoff and checking out radios. I see the DX7 Gen 2 listed at 299 tx only, 349 tx/rx and the pre order DX8 Gen 2 at the same prices. My question is, what besides the channels are the differences that would make the DX7 and DX8 the same price? Why would you buy a DX7 if the 8 channel version is the same price? Am i missing something here?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2016, 01:08 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
If the DX8gen.2 is priced the same as DX7gen.2 then it should be a no brainer

The idea is to get the most today to save tomorrow.
Feb 16, 2016, 01:09 PM
Take the DX8. It has diversity antennas. Better RF coverage. There is no reason to get the DX7.

Or go for a DX9. The last radio you will need
Feb 16, 2016, 02:28 PM
Perpetual Noob

Perhaps not the last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
Take the DX8. It has diversity antennas. Better RF coverage. There is no reason to get the DX7.

Or go for a DX9. The last radio you will need
But it will be a long time before you need more features. Very few airplanes need more than 6 channels but when they do, the DX9 will meet most of those needs.
Jun 14, 2016, 08:13 AM
Sorry to barge in, but which would you guys pick in this situation. New dx8g2 for 270, or new closeout dx7g2 for 170. Is diversity worth $100 assuming I'm not considering the 8th channel as a need for me?
Same price it was a no-brainer, 100 bucks makes me think about it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jun 14, 2016, 08:16 AM
It's more than just diversity and 1 channel. Compare them on the chart! (Note there is an error about tx diversity in the DX7).

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/M...Comparison.pdf

Andy
Jun 16, 2016, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane4osu
Sorry to barge in, but which would you guys pick in this situation. New dx8g2 for 270, or new closeout dx7g2 for 170. Is diversity worth $100 assuming I'm not considering the 8th channel as a need for me?

Thanks Andy, I ended up going ahead and ordering a DX8g2. Better over featured than come up short later on I suppose!

Jun 16, 2016, 08:10 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlane4osu

The DX8G2 is pretty much a DX9 with one less channel in a DX7G2 case (with a couple other minor things turned off). The DX7G2 is pretty much a DX6G2 with an extra channel and a knob. Big differences between the two and the DX8G2 is much closer to being a midpoint between the DX6G3 and the DX9 than the DX7G2 is.

I'd pick the DX8G2 over the DX7G2 in pretty much every case if I can afford it. I'd probably take the DX7G2 over a DX6G3 at that pricing (the DX6G3 also has diversity, but you give up a channel to get it, otherwise they're very similar, I'm a glider guy so I really want 7ch to support FH+motor gliders, but after that it's flight modes and sliders that are make/break features rather than channel count)

That said, I'm a big proponent of buying as much Tx as you can afford. With today's high model memories your Tx is going to last a while and be usable with pretty much every model you might own. Given that, it makes sense to buy one that can handle anything realistic you can throw at it.
Last edited by mawz; Jun 16, 2016 at 08:20 AM.
Jun 16, 2016, 10:35 AM
Never stop being a kid.
I went for the DX7 - just delivered yesterday. Thanks to the bad info in Spektrum's comparision chart, I didn't discover that the DX7 doesn't have the diversity antenna until it was too late, but I still think it's the best value right now. Other than the antenna, I won't miss anything in the DX8. My dilemma was in choosing between the 7 and the 9, which was mostly an aesthetic consideration - I like the metallic face of the 9 better.

Ultimately I decided it will likely be a long time (if ever) before I need those extra channels, sliders, flight modes, mixes, etc, and then the 9 - or something even better - will be on clearance. ;^)
Jun 16, 2016, 11:56 AM
In the end, it's hard to go wrong with either, especially if you fly line of site. What shifted me to spend the extra cash on the dx8 was I might build an fpv rig down the line. I'd guess the diversity antenna in the TX might be most beneficial if you aren't paying attention to the TX orientation while wearing goggles? Also the dx7 wasn't out very long so setup files will likely be more abundant for the dx8 down the road.

Jun 16, 2016, 12:12 PM
The setup files are the same file for anything DX6 to DX20. DX7 setup files will continue to be from one of the other radios, just like it is now for all of them.

Andy
Jun 16, 2016, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The DX8G2 is pretty much a DX9 with one less channel in a DX7G2 case (with a couple other minor things turned off). The DX7G2 is pretty much a DX6G2 with an extra channel and a knob. Big differences between the two and the DX8G2 is much closer to being a midpoint between the DX6G3 and the DX9 than the DX7G2 is.

I'd pick the DX8G2 over the DX7G2 in pretty much every case if I can afford it. I'd probably take the DX7G2 over a DX6G3 at that pricing (the DX6G3 also has diversity, but you give up a channel to get it, otherwise they're very similar, I'm a glider guy so I really want 7ch to support FH+motor gliders, but after that it's flight modes and sliders that are make/break features rather than channel count)

That said, I'm a big proponent of buying as much Tx as you can afford. With today's high model memories your Tx is going to last a while and be usable with pretty much every model you might own. Given that, it makes sense to buy one that can handle anything realistic you can throw at it.
Mawz, that's a great point. I can see myself a year down the road wishing I got the dx8 vs wishing I should have saved $100 a year ago. Also, I figured if diversity saves me just once, it probably paid for itself.

Jun 16, 2016, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The setup files are the same file for anything DX6 to DX20. DX7 setup files will continue to be from one of the other radios, just like it is now for all of them.

Andy
Oh okay, good to know. I figured it was model specific since the switches/positions and knobs/no knobs varied among the range of models. Looks like most of the switches are similar in assignment.

Jun 16, 2016, 01:02 PM
The difference is that some are 2-pos and some are 3-pos. When that's the case, you lose access to the functions that are on position 2 of a switch.

Andy
Sep 25, 2016, 01:43 PM
RC Aircraft Noob Since 01-2012

DX8 G2 LOS Range on AR8000

Greetings I have just purchased a DX8G2 coming from the DX8. I am not getting the same range onnthe g2.

May I know how far LOS range in meters for the DX8 G2 with the AR8000?

Used to go past 2km on the old dx8

Quick Reply