Feb 15, 2016, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

My wife wants a new camera! I want a new Quad ! mmmm

So my wife has a birthday coming up and she said "i would like to get a better camera " , she has a little coolpix now so it will not take much to get to "better" , i am looking to spend $400-$500 and would like her next camera to double as her camera and then i want to put it on a Quad and shoot stills and video , i have no problems with the Quad part but i am very uninformed on the camera side . The perfect camera would be somewhat simple to set up (for the wife) and a good choice for Aerial photography on a mid sized Quad . Should i think about a more capable air frame than Quad ? Hex ? Will the weight of a good camera require a more capable machine ? Quad vs Hex ?
Thanks for any input on what camera to get and/or size machine ?

jeff
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2016, 07:40 PM
What you want for ground use is totally different from what you want for use in the air. What you are asking is far more involved if you also want stabilization for video. Remote triggering and control are also issues. For the most control in the air you will want a dedicated system like the DJI Inspire, but that camera system is useless on the ground.

A great camera for both applications is the A7R Sony cameras but it going to cost you $5000 to build an aircraft that can fly it with a gimbal.

If trying to keep it cheap, I have had success in mounting a $700 Sony RX100 on a DJI F450 quad. It will lift it without a gimbal and only works for still images, not video. I used a rubberband to hold the shutter down, so it took photos during the whole flight. The small 808 camera was used to feed the FPV transmitter so I could frame the shots.
Feb 16, 2016, 11:21 PM
I void warranties
I'll second the rx100, you can pickup a brand new original rx100 for under $350 or you can hunt around (and be ready to jump on it when you see it) and get an RX100 III for about 400-500 used in good shape if you're one of those "gotta have the newest" types of n people but can't swing 200 above budget.

Quick Reply