Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 15, 2016, 01:13 PM
New Product

Bat-Safe - Battery Charging Box

Just ran across this website for a safe box to charge LiPo batteries in.

http://www.bat-safe.com/web/

The idea of a safe box like this appeals to me, but before I spend hard earned money on this I need to see some real reviews, not just marketing hype.

Anybody out there familiar with this? It looks like this is a kickstarter project, but as of today, I was not able to find the project on kickstarter.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2016, 03:30 PM
Space Coast USA
How did you run across it? The idea is novel.
Interesting that there is not a single google hit on it. Must be real new.
I'd like to see these safety bags/boxes/cans rated for the number of packs and mah size they can handle withour failing. Like can it handle a 6s5000mah pack fire?
Feb 15, 2016, 03:39 PM
It's definitely "new" - it says tooling and mold making happens in April 2016. (Subject to kickstarter going well I suppose.)
Feb 15, 2016, 03:43 PM
The Mark Wood's LipoSacks do give the numbers and so does the Traxxas and sort of the Great Planes ElectriFly SafeCharge.

I just did a presentation at the last EFO meeting about that topic. You can find it in Part 2 of my 'Learning About LiPo Batteries'
http://theampeer.org/Learning-LiPo/Learning-LiPo.html
Feb 15, 2016, 04:55 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Interesting idea, will be keeping an eye on it. For now I will stick to the ammo box with a plastic bag of sand on top of the open lid, just in case!
Feb 15, 2016, 06:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
The Mark Wood's LipoSacks do give the numbers and so does the Traxxas and sort of the Great Planes ElectriFly SafeCharge.

I just did a presentation at the last EFO meeting about that topic. You can find it in Part 2 of my 'Learning About LiPo Batteries'
http://theampeer.org/Learning-LiPo/Learning-LiPo.html
OK Ken,
Been awhile since I looked at individual products - maybe all the "don't buy any product that hasn't been tested" postings had some effect on the vendors but more likely it was the lawyers.

I see from the ads that:
The Traxxas bag is rated for 30Whr. So that would be for example a 3s2300mah pack or a 2s3600mah pack?
The Electrifly SafeCharge Rated for use with LiPo batteries up to 11.1V (3S) and 3200mAh capacity
LipoSack specs one for up to 6S 5000mah.

Then going to your Ampeer reference and reading your "Learning About Lipo Batteries" article I find this gold mine of info. I'll add this article to my sticky above. This should be a must read for electric novices.
Feb 15, 2016, 11:46 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
$39 seems like a very good price for what you get.

Rick
Feb 16, 2016, 10:08 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Agreed, though with no link to Kickstarter I am a little concerned this might not be as "real" as the timeline on the webpage indicate...
Feb 16, 2016, 04:52 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
My educated guess would be that an ammo can is just as good, provided you drill a couple of holes in the lid, mount a piece of sheet metal an inch apart using standoffs, and stuff the gap with stainless steel sponges.
Feb 16, 2016, 05:05 PM
I'm with MattyB
topless 50cal ammo can with a 25lb plastic bag of play sand resting on top. Fire melts bag, sand douses fire. Low tech, foolproof.
Feb 17, 2016, 04:27 PM

Live on Kickstarter

Its live on Kickstarter now
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228823410/bat-safe
Feb 17, 2016, 06:45 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Hmmm... Tried to back it, but P&P to anywhere other than the US is at least $50 minimum . With ammo boxes available here for 16 posted I'm afraid I can't see this attracting enough backers to reach their $25k target in 30 days.
Feb 17, 2016, 07:04 PM
I took a wild guess as to the weight and the size of the shipping box and the lowest price I could get out of the USPS shipping calculator was $65.50, so $50 sounds plausible. The USPS doubled the cheapest international rates a few weeks ago (after another doubling a few years before). I recently shipped a 0.8 ounce padded envelope to Austria and the cheapest option was $13.50. I guess the USPS thinks America is exporting too much stuff.
Feb 17, 2016, 07:30 PM
Suspended Account
Sorry to say but this is not new... . I purchased this steel fireproof lined charge box in 2009 from a seller and the maker on RCTECH...I think he invented this b4 that date ..but I had this one back then and use it every time i charge..
Last edited by losi man; Feb 18, 2016 at 05:23 AM.
Feb 17, 2016, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
my cost shipped was $27 us..