Feb 15, 2016, 11:45 AM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
Help!

Flysky FS-i6 or the Flysky FS-T6

I am a RC noob shopping for a TX that will serve me for a simple hydro foam build and still allow me room to grow in the future as well. I also have a Tarantuls T6 quad that I fly which I hope I can use either of these TX's with as well. I am looking at the Flysky FS-T6 and the Flysky FS-i6 so far due to the features and the affordable price of each as well. The T6 seems to have a lot of features that I like but for a few dollars more the i6 has features I do not even understand but might be useful as I learn about the RC scene such as the advanced Rx that has the iBus feature to which I cannot seem to find any simple explanation as to what is used for anywhere. I am not quite clear as to how the telemetry feature works either other than sending the Rx battery condition information back to the TX. I did a search for a comparison of the two on this forum but only found a lot of tech talk on hacking the i6 to get two extra channels out of it. Would someone please either explain these features to me or direct me to where I can find this information I would be most grateful for any help here.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2016, 12:37 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
I am a RC noob shopping for a TX that will serve me for a simple hydro foam build and still allow me room to grow in the future as well. I also have a Tarantuls T6 quad that I fly which I hope I can use either of these TX's with as well. I am looking at the Flysky FS-T6 and the Flysky FS-i6 so far due to the features and the affordable price of each as well. The T6 seems to have a lot of features that I like but for a few dollars more the i6 has features I do not even understand but might be useful as I learn about the RC scene such as the advanced Rx that has the iBus feature to which I cannot seem to find any simple explanation as to what is used for anywhere. I am not quite clear as to how the telemetry feature works either other than sending the Rx battery condition information back to the TX. I did a search for a comparison of the two on this forum but only found a lot of tech talk on hacking the i6 to get two extra channels out of it. Would someone please either explain these features to me or direct me to where I can find this information I would be most grateful for any help here.
The FSi6 is a newer model and the FST6 is an older model . The i6 uses 4 AA batteries ( lighter and smaller ) and has a small antenna without a joint . The T6 uses 8 AA batteries ( heavier and bigger ) and has a longer antenna with a joint that can break off . The i6 is full telemetry capable when used with the 10 channel telemetry receiver and whatever telemetry sensors you put on the plane - airspeed sensor , flightpack voltage sensor , etc .

I've used both radios in the past , and the only thing I don't like about them is that expo seems to have little effect ( compared to my Spektrum Radio ) , and the trim tabs also seem to have little effect . Whenever I would fly a plane for the first time , I would use ( more effective ) sub-trim to trim in-flight .
Feb 15, 2016, 01:12 PM
I have the fs-i6 in the turnigy i6 version (they are both exactly the same apart from the logo) and I absolutely love it. It was my second transmitter as my first one I got in an rtf package didn't have a trainer port so I couldn't use it with a sim. It feels very good for 30 - the gimbals are very smooth, smoother than some of the spektrum radios I've borrowed off people. It's a slimmer transmitter than most and light so it fits in your hands very nicely. Also because of this, if you ever upgrade to a more expensive transmitter you'll still have use for this tx as it doesn't take up much space in a bag - perfect for travelling/hiking.
Everyone at my club recommends it and quite a few people just bought one because of its size.
I hope I'm not making it sound like an exceptionally small transmitter, because it isn't, it's just a little smaller and slimmer but enough to make a nice difference.
You can do plenty of things on it - rates, expo, elevon,v-tail and a special feature is that you can get sensor modules like a variometer, altimetre, speed sensor, to plug into the rx for about a fiver each. I don't know if you can do this on other transmitters or not. You can set channels 5 and 6 to the dials on the top instead of switches if you like which I think is fairly unique to this transmitter and useful for lowering flaps at the speed you want and maybe controlling a camera gimbal?
Anyway, I love it and I recommend you go for that newer version.
Feb 15, 2016, 01:59 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Correction to my post above : in addition to the 10 channel receiver , FlySky now has a 6 channel receiver available that's full telemetry capable .
http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-2_4G-...oTMxoCNj3w_wcB
Feb 15, 2016, 02:10 PM
No direct answer as I don't have hands on experience on T6. But you might want to check my I6 review.

I6 is newer so in that sense I would choose it. On the other hand my understanding is that biggest difference between I6 and T6 is the form factor. I6 is kind of small. If you've got big hands T6 might feel better. At least early T6s had some trouble with losing saved models etc.

I6 is kind of proven and also uses latest receiver technology. Still it also supports older receivers, too (same as T6 and 9X). I6 also works well with simulators etc. I also felt that I6 menus were better organized than with stock FlySky / Turnigy 9X (T6 should have similar menus as 9X).

After all this mumbling I would go with I6.
Feb 15, 2016, 04:37 PM
I have both the FS 9X and T6 . I like the 9X a lot and I am starting to learn to hate my FST6.

It served me well for a while but I have doubts that I can depend on it any further. Maybe the technology is too old . I don't know.

This topic has made me think hard about replacing my FST6 with the newer i6.
Feb 15, 2016, 05:24 PM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
Thanks guys! This is why I love this forum. Great information from honest hands on users willing to share their experience and expertise. I just found another page in this forum with all of the information about protocols and such which was both overwhelming and helpful. I wish now to find a magic spreadsheet which tells which ESC's and motors are suited to my project. I have found several vids on YouTube that were most helpful in matching ESC's and motors as well as useful information about the type of props available for certain applications. It all seems so simple but yet complicated yet I know that knowledge of this stuff will come with time and experience. Now I need to know where to shop for all of the little things such as control rods and all of the other little hardware items. And since I have the setup formerly used in a helicopter, I would like to still use those components to build an experimental hydro foam with. All I need for that is a way to mount a prop on the 2mm motor shaft as well as a small prop to go along with it. Thanks again for the valuable information and suggestions. Looks like the FS-i6 may be the right choice to make. I did find a deal on it on eBay which included the upgraded RX with the iBus feature. which I am still somewhat in the dark about but I will figure that out soon enough I guess.
Feb 15, 2016, 07:13 PM
Headsuprc aka headsuphobby.com located in Florida ; should have all the things you need from pushrods , clevises , and connectors to control horns and alternative propellers. Low prices and $2 shipping !

I like value hobby in Illinois for lipos.
Feb 15, 2016, 09:20 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Are you using plans to build the HydroFoam ? If so , do the plans have recommended motors , ESCs , etc ?
Feb 15, 2016, 10:10 PM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Are you using plans to build the HydroFoam ? If so , do the plans have recommended motors , ESCs , etc ?
Nothing specific. I am sure that their builds are outdated now. I did notice that the ones that listed the specs had motors in the 1400Kv range. Most used two blade props, some used 3 blade props. If you watched the video I posted in another thread of the "Graupner Hydroplane" then you have a good idea of what I want to build. I expect that I will be using some type of 1/2" insulation foam so then I do not expect the craft itself to weigh much without the electronics. So, I really do not at this point know what size of motor will be needed.
Feb 16, 2016, 04:03 PM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
Had a while to do some research on component selection today and I have pretty much figured out (if I am correct in my thinking) that it should suffice to buy a motor in the 1400KV to 2400KV range even if it is overkill and of course then use the TX's programming (i.e. throttle curve adjustment) to match it to the plane itself. But then I have to consider the battery size/capacity in the equation for the overall performance and run time as well. Am I going about this in the right (or acceptable) way? I found and downloaded some weight to wattage ratio charts and information which I need to study over. I just don't want to get caught up in too many technical aspects that will dampen my enthusiasm on this project. I do however want this thing to be able to do some 3D flying as well as straight vertical climbs as I have seen most of the do in the videos.
Feb 16, 2016, 06:10 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
Had a while to do some research on component selection today and I have pretty much figured out (if I am correct in my thinking) that it should suffice to buy a motor in the 1400KV to 2400KV range even if it is overkill and of course then use the TX's programming (i.e. throttle curve adjustment) to match it to the plane itself. But then I have to consider the battery size/capacity in the equation for the overall performance and run time as well. Am I going about this in the right (or acceptable) way? I found and downloaded some weight to wattage ratio charts and information which I need to study over. I just don't want to get caught up in too many technical aspects that will dampen my enthusiasm on this project. I do however want this thing to be able to do some 3D flying as well as straight vertical climbs as I have seen most of the do in the videos.
Nothing wrong with too much power , you manage it with the throttle .

But kv is only an indication of RPMs per volt - you can have a 5 gram motor that's 2400kv , or you can have a 50 gram motor that's also 2400kv . The specs you want to look for are max watts ( one horsepower is about 745 watts ) , and the thrust output ( in ounces or pounds , usually ) for a motor with a given prop and battery voltage . For straight vertical climbs you want MORE than 1:1 ratio - like 2 pounds of thrust for a plane that weighs 1 pound .

In my experience , the more performance a motor/prop/battery has - the shorter the run times are . It's all a trade-off , using a higher capacity battery will give you longer run times - but at the cost of more weight . And you have to consider weight in getting a proper CG as well .
Feb 16, 2016, 09:01 PM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
Thank you for your continued words of wisdom and experience. I have not yet purchased the FS-i6 transmitter but will be doing so very soon as I have decided that it is a worthwhile purchase which should serve me well now and in the future. I have also reminded myself of the "KISS" method and how it applies here. Now, I have some shopping to do.
Feb 16, 2016, 09:57 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
I currently have a FS T6 (my first TX) along with a couple low-end Spektrum radios. My FlySky unit has a manufacturing defect I didn't find until too late. I lost a plane over it and it took me a while to figure out it wasn't due to gear on the plane. I might have done better if I had been a more experienced pilot, but ultimately it was still an expensive lesson.

Almost a couple years later, I wish I had gotten the 9X instead. I'd have 3 things I still don't have with 3 low cost radios:

- more channels for more features
- a module bay to connect alternative radio protocols (Spektrum and FrSky are generally better than FS)
- a popular radio that has had a couple generations of upgrade board to add OpenTX to get new features

As far as I know, the i6 is a newer version with pretty much the same limitations and risks. Knowing what I've learned, I'd spend a bit more for a better, more flexible and more popular radio.
Feb 17, 2016, 12:20 AM
Just out for fun
Thread OP
I appreciate the input about the 9X but I have already bought the FS-i6. I did do research on the 9X but with the base cost of the TX along with the module and RX as well it was quite a bit out of my price range. I just got the FS-i6 with the upgraded RX with the iBus feature along with a USB data cable for $56. That I can afford, which also leaves me room to buy an ESC and motor and a prop. More shopping to do.

Quick Reply