Thread Tools
Aug 24, 2019, 08:49 AM
Registered User
matjon's Avatar
I finally maiden my Virage which Lenny has built for me. Launch and flying was easy.
The landing was not good. I forgot to program in some down elevator mix to flaps so it balloned like crazy. I skipped the flaps at landing resulting I came in way to fast and a wing tip caught the grass and i flipped/cartwheeled. Damaged the right wingtip and aileron.

I can feel a bump (bottom not on top) over the wingtip at the red marker and the aileron is loose down to the bump. Any tips on how to fix this?

Virage 2m F5B/Hotliner (3 min 34 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 12:38 PM
pnc
pnc
Registered User
pnc's Avatar
If it was me I would either use some packing tape on the tip or just glue both tips solid and recut both ailerons about a inch shorter with the tip being solid .

But that's just me ...

Pete
Aug 25, 2019, 02:02 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Dbox's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc
If it was me I would either use some packing tape on the tip or just glue both tips solid and recut both ailerons about a inch shorter with the tip being solid .

But that's just me ...

Pete
+1
Yuri
Aug 26, 2019, 10:12 AM
Registered User
Lenny970's Avatar
You could also just re-hinge the aileron tip using silicone.

Lenny
Aug 26, 2019, 10:38 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
You could also just re-hinge the aileron tip using silicone.

Lenny
Is there a nice how to somewhere on here that shows how to properly do this?
Aug 26, 2019, 11:35 AM
Electric
Pull some kevlar material into the seam with tweezers and then use some thinned epoxy in a syringe, squeeze some into the joints and then compress the whole thing the right way with a bunch of books. A thick phone book on the bottom and one on top at first so their thinner pages can drape over the contours of the airfoil and then load up the weight. Let it cure 24 yours.

I use baker's nonstick parchment paper to keep things from sticking.
Aug 26, 2019, 11:38 AM
Registered User
S2k2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
A thick phone book on the bottom and one on top...
"Whats a phone book?", asked a Millennial. "will two ipads sandwiched together work?"

Aug 26, 2019, 12:38 PM
Electric
Our phone books are like 20 years old. They are always used for weighing something down or other. Next to the Sears and Montgomery Wards catalogs
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Aug 26, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Aug 26, 2019, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Lenny970's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue92ehsi
Is there a nice how to somewhere on here that shows how to properly do this?
Here's one example: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...silicone+hinge
Aug 26, 2019, 03:52 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
tic's Avatar
That's great!.. I have a flap torn off an old Surprise model that I'm going to try this with
Aug 26, 2019, 03:56 PM
Registered User
Kyri's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadstickDuck
Pull some kevlar material into the seam with tweezers and then use some thinned epoxy in a syringe, squeeze some into the joints and then compress the whole thing the right way with a bunch of books. A thick phone book on the bottom and one on top at first so their thinner pages can drape over the contours of the airfoil and then load up the weight. Let it cure 24 yours.

I use baker's nonstick parchment paper to keep things from sticking.
I used a variation of this on a 3m glider, here are the details and a picture in case it helps.
It was on a 3m f3f plane which has more room to work than on the skinnier f5b wings. especially at the tips, so some of the other suggestions might be better (taping, or fixing the very tip, or silicone. Note that once silicone adhesive is used on an area it is unlikely that any other adhesive will ever stick again if you change your mind).

https://www.barcs.co.uk/forums/topic...comment=161199
Aug 26, 2019, 09:31 PM
pnc
pnc
Registered User
pnc's Avatar
I hate Silicone you never get rid of it.but it works great for reusable vacuum bags....
Aug 26, 2019, 10:13 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Dbox's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc
I hate Silicone you never get rid of it.but it works great for reusable vacuum bags....
Same here.
Plus,I dont think it will work for particular plane wing tip .
Matjon,if You want to fly her safe ,clean under wing with rubbing alcohol and put a piece of clear packing tape about 2cm wide on wing bottom damaged area .
Yuri
Aug 28, 2019, 10:55 AM
Registered User
matjon's Avatar
Thank you everyone for suggestions on repair. I will go with the packing tape and cutting the aileron shorter. Thatīs my kind of repair :-)
Aug 28, 2019, 12:45 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Dbox's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by matjon
Thank you everyone for suggestions on repair. I will go with the packing tape and cutting the aileron shorter. Thatīs my kind of repair :-)
You can leave aileron as it is.Just make sure You use packing tape with good adhesion.
And clean the wing thoroughly .
Yuri


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools