Jan 28, 2002, 02:58 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP

Wireless video update: New transmitter!

Well the Xcam2 served me well, but it was time to move on and it has found a very good home with another 'zoner.

My latest toy is a transmitter/receiver set from a company called Lawmate technologies. They sell primarily to the law-enforcement community so the products are pretty robust.

Two videos are at the bottom of this page:

One has inspirational music and the other doesn't (just air and engine noise). I'd be curious about folks perception of the two, since I've always made a point of making sure I had a mike on my transmitters.

Go all the way to the bottom to see the "Lawmate" videos:

http://flyingvideos.tripod.com

Bill
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2002, 04:26 PM
The Tripod site you are trying to reach has been temporarily suspended due to excessive bandwidth consumption.

Jan 28, 2002, 05:30 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP

Open again soon...

There was a time when they'd just shut the site down for good. Now it looks like they have some decent bandwidth monitoring and limiting tools.

I can't complain... 50megs of storage space and 1gig per month of bandwidth for the low low price of nothing!

Keep trying... the video's are pretty cool. I know I had fun making them!
Last edited by yb2normal; Jan 28, 2002 at 05:37 PM.
Jan 28, 2002, 07:24 PM
Plane hugging cat
Bill, the lawmate videos are second to none. Wish I had a setup like that.
Jan 28, 2002, 08:04 PM
high-speed freak
wow... pretty incredible quality. what's the setup go for? how much does the tx weigh?
Jan 28, 2002, 08:58 PM
Tu ne cede malis
How bout some specs on your new system?
Jan 28, 2002, 09:54 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP

specs on Lawmate

Ok, here we go:

Frequency 2.4ghz, 4 channels
Power output: 100mw
Built in microphone
Power supply: Manufacturer says 8v to 12v, although in my experience, the unit won't reliably start below 9v, so lets say 9v to 12v based on personal experience.
Range: depends on the antenna. The stock dipoles are rated to about 300 feet, but of course I don't fly with stock antenna's
Transmitter weight: 20g (about 6/10 of an ounce)

The receiver is pretty slick, all metal with mounting tabs, sma connector for the antenna so you can attach an aftermarket high gain antenna.

I'm working on a webpage that documents the modifications for airborne use. The pages will be very similar to the ones I did describing my Xcam2 hacks.

In terms of availability, I only have the one

Seriously though, I got the unit as part of a samples purchase with an OEM. I'm thinking of starting a small business modifying these things for aerial use. It just kills me that some companies that do this for a living can charge almost $400 for a system that costs maybe $250 to put together. I guess you pay for the convenience of letting someone else build it.

If there's enough interest I'll get something started. I'd like to be able to build systems for folks, but also offer bare transmitters and receivers for the more adventuresome folks.

Bill
Jan 29, 2002, 11:18 AM
Sticky Shepherd
After buying a small cmos camera on special offer a while ago I've been toying with the idea of building my own tx for 2.4Ghz. Looking at the unit you have is there much inside them in terms of components?

I realise its no trivial matter at these frequencies but I have the facilities for making pcbs and doing SMT soldering.

I have recently seen advertisments for transmitters for a round $25 I think they are fairly small. I'll check them out and report back.

Graham
Jan 29, 2002, 04:02 PM
Tu ne cede malis
I haven't bothered with re inventing the wheel, the Wavecom Tx's are solid as hell and already offer dual audio channels as well. All you do is add a gain block before the antenna connections and you're done.
Jan 29, 2002, 04:24 PM
high-speed freak
as always, price/size would be helpful...
Jan 29, 2002, 05:04 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP
Strictly speaking I'd rather not get into *manufacturing* transmitters.

As Graham points out, the basic transmitters can be had for a reasonable price, the value-add is assembling the components into a workable aerial system.

A source of robust and flexible receivers and transmitters would also have some value for those of us who like to 'roll our own'.

opualuan, I'm not sure how much the wavecom units are, but typical pricing for transmitter/receiver pairs that I've seen are around $100 for 50mw to 75mw output. These are the little 'tuna can' transmitters, and the receiver is generally a small unit with built in antenna (sometimes dipole, sometimes patch). I bought one from oneworldwholesale, the 70mw version, for $104. I had to add a microphone and then unsolder the dipole on the receiver so I could add a patch antenna, but the results were great when I was done.

I like the new Lawmate unit I picked up because the tx has a built in microphone, and the receiver is very sturdy in it's metal case, with a detachable antenna so you can put a patch, yagi, or whatever you want on it that has an SMA connector.

The first draft of my hacks page is up and running here:

http://www.yb2normal.com/lawmate2-4.html

Bill
Jan 29, 2002, 09:12 PM
Tu ne cede malis
the prices for wavecom is now around 80 bucks per set, and tx's about half that, you can buy them individually at Supercircuits. Just contact customer service (they have an online help that's pretty cool) and ask for wavecom compatible systems. They rename them as MVL units or something I think, but the person who I talked to knew exactly what I was talking about. They are also a second source for the panasonic cameras I prefer, i've used them when digikey is out.

I go through more cameras than anything else, lost two in crashes, zapped one with static (bummer). The Tx's take a lickin and keep on tickin', though I did have to reflow a couple caps on my rework (gain block) after a particularly savage vertical landing.
Jan 29, 2002, 10:57 PM
Frequent User
Thread OP
Hey MtnGoat,

Check my post on the for-sale forum... I have the same camera from supercircuit but the lense is 52 degrees versus 53 degrees, and I don't have a plug-n-play harness. $75 shipped.

Also, you should repost that link to your video, I seem to recall it was pretty cool.

Bill
Last edited by yb2normal; Jan 30, 2002 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply