Feb 13, 2016, 03:41 PM
CT WILD FLYERS!
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie learning on H8 Mini w/mods

Just wanted to share my initial experience as a first time quad flyer and my JJRC H8 mini.

So, I've only flown now for 3 (15 mins total) flights in the last few hours due to on my one battery (another on the way). First flight was terrible and I felt definitely overloaded mentally. It seemed like I just couldn't get it and just hovering was a real challenge. Did a little reading after the battery died and was ready for a second flight.

Flight 2: figured out how the trims work and hovering was much easier. Got some confidence and started to fly around my basement without touching the yaw. It was going great until I almost flew into myself trying the returning home mode thing. That scared me and I freaked out and smashed it into the ceiling by over throttling breaking my first prop.

Flight 3: More research, found that it could be best to calibrate this little guy. So, I did and wow, now I'm feeling more confident. Started to try the flips and having fun with it. That's until the dog came to check out what's going on and tried eating it out of the air. So, after locking him out, back to flying and making various patterns.

So now, i'm feeling the reasons why it's so much fun. Thanks to you all for all your insights in all the posts I've read. The mods are the led extenders using the clear wire coverings. Also nodded the ant. to the outside but to the bottom since it flies overhead more figured best ranging.
Last edited by cbnlnk121; Jun 08, 2016 at 09:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2016, 03:45 PM
CT WILD FLYERS!
Thread OP
Here are some close ups of the mods.
Last edited by cbnlnk121; Jun 08, 2016 at 08:59 PM.
Feb 14, 2016, 07:53 PM
CT WILD FLYERS!
Thread OP
So, another day, another prop. I've broke a total of 3 props and was able to repair 2 of them. I'm still able to fly until the real replacements show but thankful that it so durable. Friends have tried it and faired no better. I was able to do my first banked set of turns today but it also ment overconfidence and crashing.

I'm hoping that I can do better with each attempt and over time be not so worried about mistakes. How have the rest of you faired? Should I give up or practice makes perfect?
Feb 15, 2016, 07:19 AM
Oh just dont give up! The more you practice the more confident you will become. You will not notice that you are flying much better, but at some point you will say to yourself, dayummm and you will remember you first attempts
I recomend you order yourself that 5 battery combo with charger, it is only around 12$(look at the ones 200mah+) and some props becouse you will need them they are cheap.
At first I didnt broke none, but then when you master your yaw and fly around trees and stuff you crash rather quick. I also made the "antenna mod" and I removed the prop protectors. I also moded the controller, i raised the mushrooms and put in a couple of resistors so the yaw is not so fast.

Feb 15, 2016, 07:34 AM
Oh just dont give up! The more you practice the more confident you will become. You will not notice that you are flying much better, but at some point you will say to yourself, dayummm and you will remember you first attempts
I recomend you order yourself that 5 battery combo with charger, it is only around 12$(look at the ones 200mah+) and some props becouse you will need them they are cheap.
At first I didnt broke none, but then when you master your yaw and fly around trees and stuff you crash rather quick. I also made the "antenna mod" and I removed the prop protectors. I also moded the controller, i raised the mushrooms and put in a couple of resistors so the yaw is not so fast.

Feb 15, 2016, 07:08 PM
My first flights were timed in seconds. Yes buy more batteries. U can go as high as 380mAh. Get it outside. Then you will gave fun.

Quick Reply