Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Pappyjkns, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2016, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Pappyjkns's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

R/C Diary Pt. 3


It’s January 14/16 and I just arrived back from the park near our house. The park is large enough to fly the DL50 and I spent a good 1 1/2 hrs. flinging the glider into the 10-12 Km winds. This was my third time out & I did much better reaching altitudes in excess of 100’…..maybe more. There aren’t many thermos to catch in the middle of winter, but you do get a nice 30 sec flight each time, which all helps in restoring my flying abilities! I like the fact that I can, on a moments notice, throw the plane & radio into the van and drive for only 5 minutes to get to the park. Rather than spend most of the day driving to our flying field, flying and driving back. Now I can get in some fun flying for an hour at a time!

Winter of 2016 Projects:
- Upgrading the motor & electrics for the 2 M Aspire Sailplane
- Installing new servos in the old 100” Sagitta Sailplane.
- Stripping & recovering the 118” wings of the Bird of Time Sailplane.
- Preparing a motor mount & installing a brushed electric motor in the Bird Of Time sailplane.
- Build the 100” “Apogee” sailplane kit (this is a old ’80’s model).
- Finish off building the Goldberg Piper Cub.
- Continue adjusting & flying the DL50

January 27/16:
I had added some weight to the tail of the DL50 to make it balance at the recommended balance point. I took it to the nearby park but was a little hesitant as the wind was gusting up to 15 km/hr. It seemed to be lighter down on the field so I gave the plane some gentle throws. Every time it shot almost straight up then stalled before I could get some down elevator inputed. This would result in the plane pounding straight in to the frozen ground! After a few of these throws, I removed the weight off of the tail and it seemed to fly somewhat better. After another straight in pounding, a plastic wing bolt was sheared and another one was stripped. So it was game over, back to the shop to instigate some repairs. I’m not sure why it flew so poorly today…..could be the higher, gusty winds? Maybe the balance isn’t right yet? Could also be pilot error as I’m not inputting down elevator before the plane stalls at the top of the throw?

I made the necessary repairs and have moved the battery back towards the wing, this should help the balance. Now I must wait for a nice quiet day….wind wise, to take it out again & try some flings!

Jan 31/16:
Today, I Installed new, red transparent MonoKote on the bottom of the outer section of the left, Bird of Time wing. I was “nervous as a kitten” but had to overcome my fears and apply the covering. The final job wasn’t perfect but overall it came out pretty well. I was pleased with the result and I’m hoping the top covering will go on even better. Practice makes perfect! Unfortunately, I’ve run out of covering so I must phone the LHS to see if they have any more before I drive all the way out there.

Cheers!
Lyle
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools