Feb 12, 2016, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Mini Endurance Quadcopter with 52 minute hover time

I built this 3D printed quadcopter recently. The frame is designed with weight reduction and strength in mind, whilst not sacrificing aerodynamics. All of the components press fit into the frame so no glue or screws are required to assemble it.

It's built using parts from the hobbyking Q-BOT quadcopter and GWS 5443 props drilled out to fit. Flight controller is a pico/scisky held on with double sided tape. I designed the frame to hold a single 18650 lithium cell, which I have not seen anyone use on micro quadcopters with brushed motors.

I'll have a few more videos to add here as soon as I find a better camera

This flight was done carrying a 47g Samsung 30Q 18650 cell, which gives an interesting mix of power and flight time. With this cell i achieved 43 minutes hover time.

Shapeways Endurance Quadcopter Flight Test (4 min 14 sec)

And an indoor hover test using the LGMJ1 cell. Warning: very boring
Shapeways Endurance Quadcopter Hovers for 52 minutes (52 min 40 sec)

Specs:
- AUW: 98g
- Weight when assembled excluding battery: 48g
- 210mm frame size
- Hover time (using LG MJ1 cell): 52 minutes- could this be a record for a multirotor of this size?

Ive made the frame parts available if you would like to build one yourself:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/5JK...ionId=58768546
Last edited by Starburst; Mar 17, 2016 at 09:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2016, 01:40 AM
Thread OP

Reserved

reserved
Last edited by Starburst; Mar 03, 2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: reserve
Mar 09, 2016, 10:40 PM
really cool quad! I love how you were able to accomplish this with brushed motors. Have you thought about FPVing it? It would definitely shorten the flight time, but still have crazy amounts for cruising around! You could also go brushless too if you wanted to add more longevity to the motors because flying for that long probably isn't the greatest for the motors
Mar 10, 2016, 08:57 AM
I void warranties
Wow, 52 minutes?! One flight is longer than the expected life span of those motors! How many flights do you get per set?
Mar 10, 2016, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
I've done some fpv flying with it, this quad is great for cruising around and it's really quiet so nobody can hear it overhead. I get about 25-30 mins cruising with a micro camera. And yes these motors aren't designed for long runtime, I'm getting about 7-10 hours from a set until they lose power. I bought a box of 50 from alibaba for 90 bucks so I don't really mind burning through them.
Mar 17, 2016, 10:01 PM
This is absolutely incredible. I was trying to figure if I could make a nice frankequad from an Ominus or Vista, but this blows that right out of the water.

Incredible work!
Mar 18, 2016, 02:38 AM
Embrace the suck!
This has to be the most interesting thing I've seen done with a brushed quad in a year or more...great job!

How long are your acro flights with this setup?
Mar 18, 2016, 03:17 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.. When I'm buzzing around at half to full throttle without stopping I can easily get 20 minutes before it starts to slow down noticeably from the voltage drop. Hopefully some better cells get released this year, then a hex with more lift power could be on the cards.
Mar 19, 2016, 08:32 AM
the people squad
Inspiring. Given that it is getting harder to get the syma spares when scratchbuilding a franken-brushed quad, you are the missing link. Great job mate
Mar 19, 2016, 11:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
I was trying to figure if I could make a nice frankequad from an Ominus or Vista, but this blows that right out of the water.
I actually considered using dromida parts, they have lower gearing and bigger props. They're a heavier machine than the q-bot so maybe if that drivetrain was used you'd get a slower quad with more flight time. It would be interesting to give it a go.
Mar 20, 2016, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst
I actually considered using dromida parts, they have lower gearing and bigger props. They're a heavier machine than the q-bot so maybe if that drivetrain was used you'd get a slower quad with more flight time. It would be interesting to give it a go.
It'd be more my speed, honestly. I'm incredibly lacking in 3D fabricating ability, so having an off-the-shelf setup I could try would likely be a bit easier.

I know from my previous Ominus that +60g over the frame's weight was more than it could lift with the props/gear reduction it had, so the payload is limited. I'm not sure it could even fly with your setup given the weight of the frame/FCB/motors/props/etc it ships with.
Mar 21, 2016, 03:08 AM
Jayodas
Starburst, I have as set of these geared motor seats for the FY326 on order because I saw that Tronaton has built a nice hybrid using them. Have you experimented with these FY326 motor seats? What is the gearing the Q-Bot uses? How many pins on the gear that goes on the motor shaft and how many pins on the bigger gear?
Mar 21, 2016, 04:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayodas
Starburst, I have as set of these geared motor seats for the FY326 on order because I saw that Tronaton has built a nice hybrid using them. Have you experimented with these FY326 motor seats? What is the gearing the Q-Bot uses? How many pins on the gear that goes on the motor shaft and how many pins on the bigger gear?
Hi, I haven't tried them personally but they look strong.. The q-bot is the same as new version v959 stuff. The main gear is 64t and the pinion is 11t. Centre of motor to centre of main gear is 11.1mm. The torque tubes are 4mm hollow carbon.

I should add that I used the qbot drivetrain mainly because they use press fit gears rather than screws. A lot of quads are using the 3mm shafts which I used at first, but the 4mm shaft is way stronger and vibrates less. The weight difference is negligible.
Apr 10, 2016, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst
Hi, I haven't tried them personally but they look strong.. The q-bot is the same as new version v959 stuff. The main gear is 64t and the pinion is 11t. Centre of motor to centre of main gear is 11.1mm. The torque tubes are 4mm hollow carbon.

I should add that I used the qbot drivetrain mainly because they use press fit gears rather than screws. A lot of quads are using the 3mm shafts which I used at first, but the 4mm shaft is way stronger and vibrates less. The weight difference is negligible.
Hallo great work,! i followed your instructions but my scisky Settings are not flyiable, would you share please your Settings.? Maybe you can send me a Backup of your Settings.? Regards Micha
Apr 10, 2016, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
Hi, I don't currently have a backup because my computer broke down, I could help you out though. What part of the setup is giving you troubles? When you say it's not flyable do you mean it won't fly or that it's not even spinning up? Could be a lot of reasons why it won't work.

Quick Reply