Feb 12, 2016, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

CANDy 30" DLG

I'm almost embarrassed to post this here as it represents the low end of the DLG scale but here is my CANDy 30 design (stands for Cheap And Nasty Dlg )

The idea was to build something really simple and cheap for a bit of fun flying. I reckon the whole lot cost about £23.

It's built from 6mm depron covered in coloured parcel tape with a pound shop glassfibre fishing pole section boom. The wing is a flat depron sheet with a vertical carbon strip spar (0.5x5mm), the trailing edge is lightly sanded to thin it a bit and the leading edge is radiused. The tail surfaces are balsa.

Wing span is 30" and all up weight ended up at 78 grams, including 10 grams of noseweight. The servos are 2.5g Emax ES9051 digital, which work very nicely with Kevlar thread and pull spring control surfaces.

The battery is an 8 gram Turnigy Nanotech 1S 300mAh and the receiver is a 3g Orange R410X.

The model took an afternoon to design and about two days to build. It flies quite nicely, not in the same league as an Elf obviously, but plenty of fun for the minimal investment. You might get half the performance but it comes at 1/6th the price!

The thin, flat wing section makes for good penetration, in fact it can cover a surprising amount of sky, but the glide slope suffers in 'thermal mode'. Being light, I think it will manage with decent lift about, and being fast it should be fun on a slope in light winds.

CANDy 30" Depron DLG - Mosquito Class (0 min 46 sec)

A couple of mates have asked me to build them a a 40"/1m version. Using larger and cheaper servos I reckon I can get the cost below twenty quid
Last edited by slowmatch; Feb 16, 2016 at 05:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2016, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
Plans added 24/02/16.

They were drawn and scanned on A4 paper so should print at the right right size as long as you check the 'print actual size' box.

The wing panels are shown in four 'tiled' sections. To get a template you'll need to cut the print out and join them together. The wing is initially cut as a single part from 6mm depron.

While there's some detail on the plan, I will add some more plus photos and build sequence in the thread.
Last edited by slowmatch; Feb 24, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Feb 13, 2016, 07:08 PM
That is really kool. I've got 6mm depron. Waiting on more details. I have a baseball field within walkin distance of my place.
Feb 14, 2016, 12:50 AM
Looks like a blast!
Feb 14, 2016, 09:08 AM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Very cool look. Need to find a different word for 'N' in your acronym. Doesn't look nasty at all.
Latest blog entry: F3J on the Back Burner
Feb 14, 2016, 12:55 PM
it should be C.A.N.D.Y - Cheap And New Dlg, YAY
Feb 15, 2016, 09:55 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
awesome
Feb 15, 2016, 10:10 AM
Forum could do with a like it button because I like it! Very nice, so little focus on affordable DLG it is nice to see someone show how it can be done.
Feb 15, 2016, 01:12 PM
Looks good to me! I'll be attempting to do the same this year, so great to see others trying their own designs!
Feb 15, 2016, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Plans and build details to follow..
Yes please!
Feb 15, 2016, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the kind comments!

She's not really nasty, I just wanted something to chuck about a bit without worrying about binning an expensive model.

I also wondered just how bad it would be without making much effort on the airfoil. Of course the performance is modest but it was a pleasantly surprised at how well she flies. I may go to a bit more trouble with the 40 version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTolhurst
Yes please!
Cheers Peter, started drawing up a tidy version of the plan this evening
Feb 15, 2016, 04:38 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmatch
I also wondered just how bad it would be without making much effort on the airfoil.
I'm sure you'll elaborate on this more when you post up your how-to and plans, but if you don't mind expounding on what you did for the airfoil and how much effort you put into it that would be nice.
Latest blog entry: F3J on the Back Burner
Feb 15, 2016, 04:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
I'm sure you'll elaborate on this more when you post up your how-to and plans, but if you don't mind expounding on what you did for the airfoil and how much effort you put into it that would be nice.
It's just a flat sheet of 6mm depron. This makes the root 4.7% thick (5" chord) and the tip 7.3% thick (3.25" chord). I removed a little material from the top surface forward and aft of the spar to improve the airfoil shape. The TE is about 3mm thick and the LE is rounded, but its pretty crude.

The tail surfaces are just flat plate with radiused LE and tapered control surfaces.

The 40" version with a wider root chord will, relatively speaking, have a thinner t/c ratio. This might hurt it a bit, but the extra span and lower wingloading should be worth it.
Last edited by slowmatch; Feb 15, 2016 at 05:23 PM.
Feb 16, 2016, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
Plans for the Candy 30 are progressing but taking time (longer than building the model!) In the meantime Iím going to start adding some details. Iím aiming this at beginners so forgive me if Iím teaching granny to suck eggs. Iím by no means an experienced DLG flier myself so pleas chip in if there are better ways to do things.

Radio Components

Receiver - Orange R410X
This is a 3g DSM2/DSMX compatible 4 channel rx from Hobbyking. Itís a slightly narrower and lighter version of the Specktrum AR6100e but any 6-channel DSM2 end pin type should fit.

Servos Ė 2 x Emax ES9251 digital
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=7398
These are 2.5g servos from Robotbirds for £3.95 each. They seem to work well and have good torque for the size. The odd time the rudder servo has struggled to centre when turning on the model but a few wiggles sorts it out. The ES9251 has a Ďmolexí type connector so this needs replacing with a standard JR servo plug. A crimping tool is helpful for this but it can be done with pliars. The important thing is the Ďheightí of the servo (base to top of arm) as this has to fit width-wise in the pod. As drawn, the plan allows a width of 0.9Ē (22.8mm) If the servo you have is Ďtallerí then youíll need to widen the pod and wing centre section to suit.

Battery Ė Turnigy Nanotech 1S 300mAh
This battery is 8g and sourced from a few places including ebay (probably the cheapest if ordering individually because of the high postage costs for Lipos.) The ĎNine eagles versioní has wires attached which allows you to solder on 2mm gold bullet connectors. I use these as the switch and they also allow the battery to be charged in the model. There is a short length of wire between these and a JR servo type battery plug on the receiver. 300mAh should easily give 2-3 hours of flying. Iíve already flown 2 hours without the voltage droping below 3.7V.

The components come to a total of about 17g but since 10g of noseweight was required this is not too critical. The servo height is more important since this dictates the width of the pod and hence itís drag.

The pics below show Turnigy TGY1370A servos, cheaper, heavier and taller than the ES9152ís but they are destined for the Candy 40. They are slightly slower that the Emax ones. Obviously with servos you get what you pay for but these seem to work ok so far.
Last edited by slowmatch; Feb 16, 2016 at 05:47 PM.
Feb 17, 2016, 05:32 AM
Jon

Many thanks, keep it coming.

A couple of points, firstly if you need 10g of noseweight it may pay to put it to good use by increasing the battery capacity - I've been looking at some of the cylindrical lipos and need to check the weights & dimensions. As for receivers, some of us have been buying the Lemon DSM2 compatible ones (for Radio DT experiments), they are about 0.3g heavier and in bulk are currently $30 for five inc postage.................if you are going into production for your mates.....

Finally, I've been thinking about Depron. I've made a number of FF CLGs with Depron wings, edged with balsa to give a bit more rigidity and make them dingproof. Adding a 6x3mm piece (say) at the LE & TE should only add a couple of grams and allow a bit more thinning of the TE if that would help the aerodynamics.

As they used to say on the radio, I look forward to the next thrilling installment.

Cheers

Peter

Quick Reply