Don't know what fixed wing autopilot to get - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2016, 07:25 PM
YouTube: Sky Studio
Help!

Don't know what fixed wing autopilot to get

Hi all... so when I finished putting together my new plane I decided I wanted a RTH feature and maybe Auto Circle for it. I read up and bought the FY-DOS Autopilot for fixed wing, but I cannot figure it out. It seems to be outdated, the maps are all in Asia, and when I send the company an email they don't respond. So I figured I'll be able to sell that and pick a different one, but be more cautious. So bottom of the line, does anyone have any suggestions? Also I don't really want the price to be that high. The FY-DOS was $87, which is a pretty good price for me. I don't know if it matters but I am using an ar9020 right now but am considering selling and getting the Dragonlink v2 or v3.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2016, 09:32 PM
I void warranties
Dude get a clone APM 2,6 kit for like $60 and [after setup / calibration] it'll do everything you want plus so much more cheaper than any other Chinese options

IMHO you can not beat the old 2,6 on a plane that doesn't need all the most recent Pixhawk features, for the price of a clone board and gps module (about $40*) I use them even in my most basic foam board planes and everything, gps is just to reliable now days not to have it as a backup / safety net. Plus if you want you can setup geofencing and waypoints and all that.

*I buy the ~$60 full kits for big, important builds so I get a power module and all the wiring and the telemetry radios but you don't NEED all the extras, just the $26 clone 2.6 board and $13 GPS will do what you're asking.
Feb 12, 2016, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal_Killer
Dude get a clone APM 2,6 kit for like $60 and [after setup / calibration] it'll do everything you want plus so much more cheaper than any other Chinese options

IMHO you can not beat the old 2,6 on a plane that doesn't need all the most recent Pixhawk features, for the price of a clone board and gps module (about $40*) I use them even in my most basic foam board planes and everything, gps is just to reliable now days not to have it as a backup / safety net. Plus if you want you can setup geofencing and waypoints and all that.

*I buy the ~$60 full kits for big, important builds so I get a power module and all the wiring and the telemetry radios but you don't NEED all the extras, just the $26 clone 2.6 board and $13 GPS will do what you're asking.
OKay I looked up about the clone APM 2.6, but is that really trustworthy? I've read lots of complaints about people having troubles with it, and sometimes people buying it advertised as 2.6 but get it and realize it's a 2.5.3. I'm not sure about this one... I read the description in the following link and it doesn't say it has any Auto circle or RTH feature with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM2-6-ArduP...EAAOSwcu5UTz1s
Feb 13, 2016, 12:48 AM
I have a FY41 lite that has been great, it's been through 2 planes so far and still works flawlessly. It's very easy to setup and use. Always brought it back on the 2 occasions I had a real life failure of the camera and Vtx. If you don't know much about the APM's and the firmware learning curve could make it upsetting to work on.
Feb 13, 2016, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor357
I have a FY41 lite that has been great, it's been through 2 planes so far and still works flawlessly. It's very easy to setup and use. Always brought it back on the 2 occasions I had a real life failure of the camera and Vtx. If you don't know much about the APM's and the firmware learning curve could make it upsetting to work on.
+1 to all that. I have 2x fy41's (one lite, one full version) and both work great. For a plane only, without waypoint requirements I would just go with the much cheaper Lite version;

http://www.banggood.com/Feiyu-Tech-F...-p-918392.html

Here's a YT vid of one of mine;

EasyStar II FPV with a 41ap autopilot (3 min 22 sec)

It's been a very reliable autopilot for me and I love the OSD and RTL feature.

The Eagletree Vector might be a bit better (I don't really know) but at ~1/2 the price the 41ap lite is a real bargain imho.
Last edited by TomC; Feb 13, 2016 at 01:25 AM.
Feb 13, 2016, 02:46 AM
I void warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigh6
OKay I looked up about the clone APM 2.6, but is that really trustworthy? I've read lots of complaints about people having troubles with it, and sometimes people buying it advertised as 2.6 but get it and realize it's a 2.5.3. I'm not sure about this one... I read the description in the following link and it doesn't say it has any Auto circle or RTH feature with it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APM2-6-ArduP...EAAOSwcu5UTz1s
Is the clone trustworthy or is APM? The answer to both is yes but wasn't sure exactly which you were asking...

Your biggest complaint seemed to be a lack of resources / no where to get answers, well there isn't a more well documented flight controller than APM, that's for sure!

That kit you linked will work but you're paying more than you need. For $60 get one with a better GPS (nothing wrong with a 6M, but for $60 (and excluding telemetey) you can get a NEO 7 or even a M8N if you shop around)

Yes, apm does both RTL and auto circle (which is called loiter, note there is also a "circle" mode but it doesn't use gps, just the IMU). Pixhawk even does full auto land and their clones are getting down there to almost the same price range now too (but I'm happy with the good old 2.6 for all my planes still, I do have one Pixhawk on my 830 AP quad tho)
Last edited by Cereal_Killer; Feb 13, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Feb 13, 2016, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor357
Yes I always thought the FY-41ap looked really easy... it's basically almost the same as the one I have, the FY-DOS, except it has more features. Both use the same exact installer, and that's my problem right now... the installer doesn't work. I download it and plug in my plane and it doesn't do anything. It's just a buncha folders. How did you download the software?
Feb 13, 2016, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
+1 to all that. I have 2x fy41's (one lite, one full version) and both work great. For a plane only, without waypoint requirements I would just go with the much cheaper Lite version;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzI-Gl5zJs

The Eagletree Vector might be a bit better (I don't really know) but at ~1/2 the price the 41ap lite is a real bargain imho.
Can you explain how to set up the software? If I can get the software to work then I won't even need to get rid of the DOS
Feb 13, 2016, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigh6
Can you explain how to set up the software? If I can get the software to work then I won't even need to get rid of the DOS
You need a 41ap lite to use it's software. I've actually never needed to use any software with my lite. I just used the OSD menu.
Feb 14, 2016, 02:04 AM
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PzI-Gl5zJs

I'm not seeing any RSSI on in the video? Does the autopilot not have RSSI?
Feb 14, 2016, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly
I'm not seeing any RSSI on in the video? Does the autopilot not have RSSI?
No RSSI. I do not find I need this info for the relatively short range (max ~600m) I fpv on 5.8g. Also, I pre-set my Failsafe to RTL.

If your radio supports telemetry you can probably set an alarm.
Feb 14, 2016, 02:28 AM
Feiyu-tech, given you have set it up properly works no problem.

I never had a fly away w/ my multirotor on Fy-DOS-M 2.3.1 on Fy-OSD. My Fy-41AP has 1.25 for the aircraft and it works as it should. The problem with using the Fy-OSD on Fy-DOS latest firmware is they made it update slower (OSD update rate)..

I would say get Fy-41-M for multirotor. With Feiyu-tech they made it where the GPS connection is retained even a bunch of seconds after a disconnect. I asked them and thought it was broken as I have a green light and a satellite count when disconnecting and reconnecting to adjust stuff on the aircraft. They said it's if ther was a loss it would still have signal.

I have the Feiyu-tech 2-axis gimbal as the camera stabilizer. I have the Fy-30A too. An excellent stabilizer but I would get get the OrangeRX Gyro for stabilization.
Feb 14, 2016, 06:12 AM
A man with too many toys

Pixhawk

I have finally converted all my airplanes to Pixhawk. I have tried many brands and the Pixhawk is by far the best with the most features and the best firmware support. I only recommend buying open source autopilots. You get much better support and more help that way.

Feb 14, 2016, 08:09 AM
Quote:
You need a 41ap lite to use it's software. I've actually never needed to use any software with my lite. I just used the OSD menu.
I have mine all set up, but I don't know what each sw1 and sw2 do... I don't know when it's in stabilization mode or in RTH. The gyro also needs to calibrated, and I do the thing where you switch the switches back and forth, but it doesn't do anything. So basically my problem is that I have no idea how to make the switches work properly.
Feb 14, 2016, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
I have finally converted all my airplanes to Pixhawk. I have tried many brands and the Pixhawk is by far the best with the most features and the best firmware support. I only recommend buying open source autopilots. You get much better support and more help that way.

After looking up all about the Pixhawk it seems that's what I kind of want. I want to stay away from Feiyu Tech because there is no one to help me with it. So it there any way you can provide a link of a Pixhawk including everything I would need to use RTH? I tried looking for one but there seems to be multiple versions and some that don't include a compass (do I need one?) I would think I need a compass for RTH but I really have no idea. Thanks