May 26, 2018, 12:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
I wonder how this wing would work in a catapult glider? Maybe 1-2 mm thinner and a little less camber?
Not sure, don't have much experience with those, only made few back in 2016 with no success
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2018, 03:27 PM
I donít have much expirence with them either, having just started. I fly mostly DLGs. High speed at launch, good glide characteristics, with an 18-22 inch wingspan. Most of the wings I have seen are flat bottomed. I am thinking about making a wing just for the fun of it.
May 26, 2018, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fv38wheels
I donít have much expirence with them either, having just started. I fly mostly DLGs. High speed at launch, good glide characteristics, with an 18-22 inch wingspan. Most of the wings I have seen are flat bottomed. I am thinking about making a wing just for the fun of it.
Give it a try.
Small chamber will give better float characteristics, just take your time while building.
May 26, 2018, 03:45 PM
I will. I just have to find the time to make a couple of templates first.
May 26, 2018, 06:00 PM
RHX138
Would anyone be interested in a CNC machined balsa wing? I might be able to make one or more. I'd need a good source for contest grade balsa. I could make it to the desired span.
May 26, 2018, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHX138
Would anyone be interested in a CNC machined balsa wing? I might be able to make one or more. I'd need a good source for contest grade balsa. I could make it to the desired span.

It would be interesting to test out. For what price,700mm span?
May 27, 2018, 02:47 PM
RHX138
Well it looks like the cost of materials is about $40.00 then the cost of shipping it to whomever plans to use them in the US. So, about $55.00 I won't charge for my work, my only stipulation is that whomever buys them must upload photos of their work and a YouTube video so I can see how well the wing works. I did already make some balsa wings but they are not usable because they were not made with contest grade balsa.. Oh yeah, if I make the wing I might as well mill the matching tail sets too..
May 27, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Well it looks like the cost of materials is about $40.00 then the cost of shipping it to whomever plans to use them in the US. So, about $55.00 I won't charge for my work, my only stipulation is that whomever buys them must upload photos of their work and a YouTube video so I can see how well the wing works. I did already make some balsa wings but they are not usable because they were not made with contest grade balsa.. Oh yeah, if I make the wing I might as well mill the matching tail sets too..
I believe the best way to promote your skills is to make one wing and show us how it performs. I'm really interested.
May 27, 2018, 03:15 PM
RHX138
Here is video's of the molded version of my wings.

Aires Sharp OFFICAL FLIGHT TEST (15 min 3 sec)

AIRES ULTRA - FLIGHT TEST ONE (8 min 6 sec)

Aires Sharp Micro DLG - Performance VERY Impressive... (5 min 3 sec)

The wing I'd machine has the newest airfoil set. Better then the airfoils used in all these videos..
May 27, 2018, 03:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Here is video's of the molded version of my wings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwDYI84aj5U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjiQIqa9534

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmAqZZ0yNNg&t=156s

The wing I'd machine has the newest airfoil set. Better then the airfoils used in all these videos..
Would like to see balsa wing
May 27, 2018, 03:45 PM
RHX138
I'll mill some balsa wings, but I'd prefer to give them to someone else to finish. I have to many health issues now to complete things.. So, please let me know if anyone wants a set.
May 29, 2018, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienw9
This 3D printed mounts can be adjusted and glued after tail is glued, but you need to put them before tail and pod.
First I make pod with servo tray, then put wing mounts, and tail at the end.
My brain farted hard. Of course, you don't have to glue the wing mounts immediately. I felt very dumb now.
May 29, 2018, 07:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hslin
My brain farted hard. Of course, you don't have to glue the wing mounts immediately. I felt very dumb now.
there there / shoulder tap/
Jun 30, 2018, 05:01 AM
Thread OP

600mm micro DLG 37g

Span 600mm, RTF weight 37g
Root chord 66mm
2x Emax ES9251 2.5g digital servos (seems to have nice resolution and centering) Buy here https://www.banggood.com/Emax-ES9251...44333642016043
100mAh 1s lipo
4ch Frsky Rx
Glassed tails and wingtips. Throwing peg is sandwiched CA hinge with carbon rowing and CA glue (0.2g)
Pod is made out of PVC shrinktube.

flight video
600mm micro DLG 37g (0 min 36 sec)
Last edited by alienw9; Jun 30, 2018 at 05:08 AM.
Jul 02, 2018, 04:49 PM
RHX138
Very impressive!!

Quick Reply