Jan 17, 2018, 10:51 AM
Thread OP

Going bigger - 800mm wing

It's been a while since I post something, but I was always working something, motor powered stuff mainly.

Not as ultra light wing but close enough. 1m wing ended up ~44g finished. It's very stiff wing.
800mm is ~36g. Rudder and elevator are pretty light, only 1.2g.
Here are few images from work in progress.

If someone have any questions, you can always email me at << [email protected]>>
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2018, 08:47 PM
RHX138
Be sure to upload some youtube video of it flying...

Robert
Jan 18, 2018, 02:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHX138
Be sure to upload some youtube video of it flying...

Robert
Sure.
Here is 900mm flight video in calm evening.

Yashii 900mm DLG (1 min 30 sec)
Jan 19, 2018, 02:03 PM
RHX138
Very nice. Good work!
Apr 21, 2018, 12:11 AM
Thread OP

800mm finished

I finally finished 800 wing, it's for a friend.
RTF weight with battery and RX is ~77g. Lets say it is light

Wing mount was 3D printed and it weights 1g for both, M3 thread was tapped with tool. I used HK M3 nylon screws, they seem to fit very nice, It's a tight fit.
CA gel glue was my best friend on this build. I used small amount of 30 min epoxy to secure wing mount, rudder and elevator.
Tails are glassed with light glass cloth and CA glue. I wanted to make rigid tail for durability and occasional ground landing. Added weight was 1g for each, rudder and elevator.

I used Emax 9251 2.5g digital servos, they should be enough for this little bird. Guitar wire 0,4mm is used for push rod, it is placed inside teflon tube ID 0,5mm.
Pod is made out of PVC shrink tube, it's very light, considering that I made 3D printed one which weighted 15g
Dihedral angle is 10.
Wing peg is also 3D printed, maybe not best idea, but it turned out very stiff.
3D printed parts are form PLA.
Apr 21, 2018, 04:25 PM
I'm so happy this thread exist. I also made two small size DLGs based on Yasu and Micro_builder's design (a bit here and a bit there).

The right one is 550mm rudder/elevator with AUW 29g. It is actually my first RC airplane. Well, I've repaired/replace almost every components from the original build. The only components left are the boom and the tail. It's difficult to say it's the same plane.

The left one is 600mm flaperon/elevator with AUW 58g. I feel the flaperon is a bit overkill for planes at this size, but I did it anyway. It flies okay. It's much more difficult to maintain energy than the 550mm one.

However, I can not manage to launch the plans beyond 15m. My guess is because I used very thin tail boom (3mm and 4mm). The tails can be twisted very easily, which might waste lot of energy during launching.

What's the diameter of the boom you are using? It's a pain to replace the booms on the existing planes, but at least I can improve on the new build.
Apr 22, 2018, 08:46 AM
New at this whole life thing
All of these are absolutely delightful. What a joy!
Apr 22, 2018, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Nice work!

Yasu is one of a kind... I've spent hours and hours studying his pictures and design ideas. When you look at one of his micro builds, there is so much details he puts in every one of his DLG. They look very simple on the eye but are much more complex.
I've got few wings from Japan, finish coating is simply amazing, wing is smooth as glass. Mr Ishii and Yasu have astonishing build technique.

This video shows some of Mr Ishii skills. Paper plane distance challenge!
You can also see Yasu in the video, first from left side.

Mitsuro Ishii Supreme skills (8 min 20 sec)

..and this video inspired me to build one of my own.
600mm micro DLG#3 details (1 min 20 sec)

Amazing launch height....
600mm micro DLG#3 flight (1 min 10 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hslin
I'm so happy this thread exist. I also made two small size DLGs based on Yasu and Micro_builder's design (a bit here and a bit there).

The right one is 550mm rudder/elevator with AUW 29g. It is actually my first RC airplane. Well, I've repaired/replace almost every components from the original build. The only components left are the boom and the tail. It's difficult to say it's the same plane.

The left one is 600mm flaperon/elevator with AUW 58g. I feel the flaperon is a bit overkill for planes at this size, but I did it anyway. It flies okay. It's much more difficult to maintain energy than the 550mm one.

However, I can not manage to launch the plans beyond 15m. My guess is because I used very thin tail boom (3mm and 4mm). The tails can be twisted very easily, which might waste lot of energy during launching.

What's the diameter of the boom you are using? It's a pain to replace the booms on the existing planes, but at least I can improve on the new build.
Last edited by alienw9; Mar 20, 2019 at 06:34 AM.
Apr 22, 2018, 09:21 AM
Thread OP
I used 6mm outer diameter carbon tube, 0.5mm is wall thickness. It's pretty strong.

Quote:

Apr 24, 2018, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienw9
I used 6mm outer diameter carbon tube, 0.5mm is wall thickness. It's pretty strong.
Thanks! I'm preparing to make a new 800 mm version. I'll use 6mm or a bit thicker boom depends on the availability.

I'll post updates when I finished the build.
May 21, 2018, 12:45 PM
It's been two weeks since I finished 800mm version. I flew it quite a bit, and I love it a lot (my back and my legs don't though). Besides just making the plane, I also want to try out:
1) Removable wing. 800mm becomes a bit too difficult to carry around without a car. If the wing is removable, I can put it in the glider carrying backpack and cycling to the flying field.
2) Spring-pull linkage. I found out that the plane will be very tail heavy if I just install everything. Using spring-pull system will save some weight in the tail, which will save quite a lot of weight in the nose.

The spring-pull system turn out really well. I can easily run my nylon strings inside of the boom, so I don't have to worry about break the strings while carrying. I used 7cm long, 0.3m width steal string for spring. Initially I was a bit worry about the spring strength, since it only took about 35g to keep the control surface in neutral position. Turned out I don't have to worry about the strength. The glider can pull out from a dive easily.

The removable wing is a bit ... problematic. I used CF rod on the wing for bolt housing and balsa as wing mounts with nylon nuts CA'd in slots. The wing mounts failed after few full strength launches. The balsa cracked, and the nut just ejected. Who would have thought that. So I glue'd everything back to the wing mounts. Reinforce the top with bass wood. Now it can take full strength launch against wind no problem (until it fails again).

The AUW is 60g with 2g ballast in the nose and 200mah 1c lipo. Average hang time is about 40-45 seconds. It's good enough to fly far away enough to search/catch thermal. The best part is, I can launch it much higher than the other gliders, so I can still have some height far away. I'm not sure how much the stiff boom helped (I used the tapered cf rod from Hyperflight), but having a zoom mode on transmitter definitely helped a ton.

Some extra info:
RX: R415X 4ch Orange RX
Servos: 2.3g HK micro servo. The resolution is not great. I will change to other servo next time.
Pine wood for holding electronics. I didn't use CF because I'm afraid of CF interfering RX reception.
Pod is done with heat shrink for battery.
Peg is Bass wood.
May 21, 2018, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It's been two weeks since I finished 800mm version. I flew it quite a bit, and I love it a lot (my back and my legs don't though). Besides just making the plane, I also want to try out:
1) Removable wing. 800mm becomes a bit too difficult to carry around without a car. If the wing is removable, I can put it in the glider carrying backpack and cycling to the flying field.
2) Spring-pull linkage. I found out that the plane will be very tail heavy if I just install everything. Using spring-pull system will save some weight in the tail, which will save quite a lot of weight in the nose.

The spring-pull system turn out really well. I can easily run my nylon strings inside of the boom, so I don't have to worry about break the strings while carrying. I used 7cm long, 0.3m width steal string for spring. Initially I was a bit worry about the spring strength, since it only took about 35g to keep the control surface in neutral position. Turned out I don't have to worry about the strength. The glider can pull out from a dive easily.

The removable wing is a bit ... problematic. I used CF rod on the wing for bolt housing and balsa as wing mounts with nylon nuts CA'd in slots. The wing mounts failed after few full strength launches. The balsa cracked, and the nut just ejected. Who would have thought that. So I glue'd everything back to the wing mounts. Reinforce the top with bass wood. Now it can take full strength launch against wind no problem (until it fails again).

The AUW is 60g with 2g ballast in the nose and 200mah 1c lipo. Average hang time is about 40-45 seconds. It's good enough to fly far away enough to search/catch thermal. The best part is, I can launch it much higher than the other gliders, so I can still have some height far away. I'm not sure how much the stiff boom helped (I used the tapered cf rod from Hyperflight), but having a zoom mode on transmitter definitely helped a ton.

Some extra info:
RX: R415X 4ch Orange RX
Servos: 2.3g HK micro servo. The resolution is not great. I will change to other servo next time.
Pine wood for holding electronics. I didn't use CF because I'm afraid of CF interfering RX reception.
Pod is done with heat shrink for battery.
Peg is Bass wood.

Nice build.
Making wing post from plywood will make more durable. I made them initilay from plywood, reinforced with carbon roving and 5 min epoxy.

On my last build I used 3D printed wingpost with taped M3 thread for nylon screw. It turned out great in practice.
May 25, 2018, 06:01 AM
I tested the strength of balsa beforehand, and I couldn't break the joint when I tried to bend it with full strength. I guess I'm just weak. :P

I have one question regarding your 3D printed wing port though. What's the order of installation? I tended to install the wing last, so I have some wiggle room in CG. But with your wing ports, the ports must be installed before installing the pod or tail, both are important for CG. How could you install the wing ports while achieving good CG location?
May 25, 2018, 09:24 AM
I wonder how this wing would work in a catapult glider? Maybe 1-2 mm thinner and a little less camber?
May 26, 2018, 12:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I tested the strength of balsa beforehand, and I couldn't break the joint when I tried to bend it with full strength. I guess I'm just weak. :P

I have one question regarding your 3D printed wing port though. What's the order of installation? I tended to install the wing last, so I have some wiggle room in CG. But with your wing ports, the ports must be installed before installing the pod or tail, both are important for CG. How could you install the wing ports while achieving good CG location?
See the image, I use that measurements on most of gliders. This fuse was for 800mm wing, on 700mm I used 50cm long CF tube. When I add 2 servos, 4g Rx and 5-7g battery there is no need for balast. Shrink tube pod weights around 4g. I always use 6x1mm carbon strip for servo and gear mount, never had problem with signal loss.
I don't use 4mm CF (image said 4mm that was at the early builds) tube it's too weak, 6 or 8mm is better option

This 3D printed mounts can be adjusted and glued after tail is glued, but you need to put them before tail and pod.
First I make pod with servo tray, then put wing mounts, and tail at the end.

Quick Reply