What's Next? - RC Groups
Feb 10, 2016, 10:46 AM
Discussion

What's Next?

On Monday, four of us were having lunch after a day of flying. Bob Foster raised a topic that I thought might have broader appeal than just the four of us at the table.

What's the next step up from a Radian without breaking the bank for an electric sailplane? For a variety of reasons, many are reluctant to buy an expensive, molded E-glider.

Not knowing much about planes other than those I fly, I thought I'd put this topic out for discussion. When I got home, I called Bill Curry. He's not only a prolific builder but he changes planes more often than some guys change their underwear. Following a lengthy conversation, his summarized suggestions are; an Oculus if you like building, a Pulsar if you want RTF.

Would anyone else like to offer suggestions?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2016, 01:45 PM
There are literally dozens of good sailplane designs available that could be easily converted to electrics. I recently completed an electric Gently Lady. It flies great, is marginally heavier than the original TD version, and gives the satisfaction of building the plane.

How about someone converting a Sagitta, or Oly II, or even an older composite ship that is lying around not being flown?

JT
Feb 13, 2016, 04:18 PM

Mirage

I have built a Mirage in both the TD and electric . 112 inch wing span. Kit is all laser cut balsa and is sold through Istmus Models as a TD plane. The fuse is simple enough to copy and modify for an electric fuse using the wing for both. There is a build thread on RCG. Cost is $145+shipping. This is a ship that is competitive as well as fun to fly.
Feb 13, 2016, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxcraft
I have built a Mirage in both the TD and electric . 112 inch wing span. Kit is all laser cut balsa and is sold through Istmus Models as a TD plane. The fuse is simple enough to copy and modify for an electric fuse using the wing for both. There is a build thread on RCG. Cost is $145+shipping. This is a ship that is competitive as well as fun to fly.
Quite agree, I really enjoyed flying mine. Built mine from the short kit.
Apr 03, 2016, 01:50 AM
Closed Account
With a little searching and some patience there are viable kits that come up in various classifieds. Not too long ago I found an old Robbe ASW 19. I sat on it a while before commencing on the build but so far it is coming out very well. I think some of the older Robbe and Multiplex kits really lend themselves well for E conversions. For guys that don't want any engineering responsibility, I think the Art Hobby sailplanes look pretty good. What we really need is another company coming forward that will make both TD and E sailplanes made much the same as the old Airtronics kits. Glass and sheeted foam kits with current airfoils and platforms. That being said, I'm quite happy with the way my ASW is Turing out.