Feb 09, 2016, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Cool

FrSkyGPS 10Hz firmware

This winter I decided to see if I could develop new firmware for the FrSky GPS V2 sensor. With some guidance from the folks at OpenTX, I've managed to get it done and make it available to anyone that wants to try it for themselves.

Have a look at http://dsbeach.github.io/FrSkyGPS_10Hz_firmware/ for what you'll need to do it yourself.

The STM32F0Discovery board is available for less than $10 from suppliers worldwide. A few are listed here http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...uct/253215.jsp

Add a 1.25mm connector ($4.95 for 10), or Pogo Pins ($0.95 ea) and you'll be good to go.

The software is open source, and I'll be posting downloadable binary files soon.

The good news is the 10Hz update rate which typically shows up in the log files as 3-5 distinct lat/lon values per second. Additionally it reports GPS time, altitude, speed, and heading.

The bad news is that I couldn't figure out how to light the LED, and the sensor ID is hard coded. Also, once the new firmware is loaded there is no going back to the original.

I'll be publishing a step-by-step guide to using ST-Link to update the firmware. Order your Discovery Board today, and you'll be good to go.

David
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2016, 05:05 AM
A cross post in DIY Electronics forums would reach another class of skilled audience that could be interested.
May 29, 2016, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach
This winter I decided to see if I could develop new firmware for the FrSky GPS V2 sensor. With some guidance from the folks at OpenTX, I've managed to get it done and make it available to anyone that wants to try it for themselves.

Have a look at http://dsbeach.github.io/FrSkyGPS_10Hz_firmware/ for what you'll need to do it yourself.

The STM32F0Discovery board is available for less than $10 from suppliers worldwide. A few are listed here http://www.st.com/web/catalog/tools/...uct/253215.jsp

Add a 1.25mm connector ($4.95 for 10), or Pogo Pins ($0.95 ea) and you'll be good to go.

The software is open source, and I'll be posting downloadable binary files soon.

The good news is the 10Hz update rate which typically shows up in the log files as 3-5 distinct lat/lon values per second. Additionally it reports GPS time, altitude, speed, and heading.

The bad news is that I couldn't figure out how to light the LED, and the sensor ID is hard coded. Also, once the new firmware is loaded there is no going back to the original.

I'll be publishing a step-by-step guide to using ST-Link to update the firmware. Order your Discovery Board today, and you'll be good to go.

David
Thank you David for all your brilliant work on the GPS Triangle for the Taranis
I upgraded to OpenTx V2.18, I can no longer discover the GPS sensors, (Ihave two), has anyone else experience this problem?
Does the Lua script need to be modified to run on V2.1?
Thanks in advance
Daniel
May 30, 2016, 04:44 AM
Got the GPS to work
May 30, 2016, 06:08 AM
Thread OP
The GPS triangle script for 2.1 needs work and I promised to get it done weeks ago. Hopefully I'll find the time this week. Stay tuned ...
Jun 04, 2016, 03:33 AM
Modified one of my FrSky GPS vII, works like a treat, locked on to new bearings in about 15 seconds instead of the previous 3 to 5 minutes.
Looking forward to the new V2.1 Lua script
Jun 08, 2016, 05:11 PM
Thread OP

GPS Racing Script for OpenTX 2.1 released!

Better late than never...

See https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...php?p=34977797

David
Jun 11, 2016, 03:39 AM
Hy,
How will you really update with 10Hz new Pos-Data?
Each GPS Sat sends data with only 50bit/s

one block with 25 frames -->12,5min
A frame is 1500bit -->30s
A subframes has 300bit-->6s
in the subframe a word is 30bit-->0,6s

10 Hz are not possible!
Last edited by helle; Jun 11, 2016 at 04:13 AM.
Jun 11, 2016, 08:19 AM
Carbo (-nator) ;-)
the-suitability-of-gps-receivers-update-rates-for-navigation-applications

"For objects moving with speed of 1,000km/h,
GPS receiver with update rate more than 200Hz must be used. "
Jun 11, 2016, 09:50 AM
yes, but nor for a 30$ GPS Receiver
Feb 25, 2018, 09:29 AM
RobKit--Sweden

Red Diod !?

Hi all... Iam one of the proud Frsky users that have complained about the GPS but,
I updated my GPS yesterday and hopefully I will have the oppurtunity to test it soon,
I also noticed that the red diod stoped working,,

Is there any plans to have the diode "online" ??

//Rob
Feb 25, 2018, 09:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkit
Hi all... Iam one of the proud Frsky users that have complained about the GPS but,
I updated my GPS yesterday and hopefully I will have the oppurtunity to test it soon,
I also noticed that the red diod stoped working,,

Is there any plans to have the diode "online" ??

//Rob
Unfortunately - the answer is no. I never could figure out how to take control of the light. But you'll still be happy you upgraded the firmware. I just go to the transmitters telemetry page to make sure the gps is talking - date is the first thing to start getting updates.

David
Feb 25, 2018, 09:54 AM
RobKit--Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbeach
Unfortunately - the answer is no. I never could figure out how to take control of the light. But you'll still be happy you upgraded the firmware. I just go to the transmitters telemetry page to make sure the gps is talking - date is the first thing to start getting updates.

David
Actually I just realized that I donīt need a blinking diode..

Thank you very much for the new firmware, I hope frsky implement it on V3 and give you some kickback..

//Rob
Apr 25, 2018, 10:48 AM
Old school newb
Quick question: any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't use a cheap ST-link stick from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aideepen-ST-L...70_&dpSrc=srch

And if I do, I'm guessing "VDD" should be connected to a 3.3V pin on the stick? It also has a 5V power supply and an extra ground pin, so I'm thinking I can power the GPS module off the stick for the firmware flash as well...
Apr 25, 2018, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkerTFC
Quick question: any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't use a cheap ST-link stick from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Aideepen-ST-L...70_&dpSrc=srch

And if I do, I'm guessing "VDD" should be connected to a 3.3V pin on the stick? It also has a 5V power supply and an extra ground pin, so I'm thinking I can power the GPS module off the stick for the firmware flash as well...
The stick looks interesting - I'd say it's worth a try (at your own risk).

I tried measuring the voltage of the ST-Link on the discovery board, but had no success. The docs indicate some sort of voltage sense logic and had this to say.
Quote:
1.65 V to 3.6 V application voltage supported on the JTAG/SWD interface and 5 V
tolerant inputs

Quick Reply