May 23, 2019, 01:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Sorry guys.. I was not impugning anybodies character, but in reading Joe's posts, he has consistently knocked Thunder Power packs, and I just don't think that a company can stay in business and sell as many batteries as they have and be as bad as Joe says they are. I have used other brands, and quite truthfully been disappointed in them, while I have never been disappointed with Thunder Power packs. Will I say that I have 'never' had a problem with a Thunder Power pack, no, but on the VERY rare occasion that I have, Thunder Power has replaced the pack. Thunder Power has a 100% replacement warranty for the first year, and 50% for the second year. Most battery manufacturers don't even warranty for anything past 30 days. As to performance, I believe they perform as well or better than any of the other brands I have tried.

As to Joe's testing, he is one person, not as Bert said, an independent company testing batteries, and as noted, I have to wonder why he has consistently ranked them as low as he has. But, though it may have seemed like I was pointing my comments directly at Joe, as I said, 'contrary to what some people might say', and there has been more than one person knocking Thunder Power packs in these threads.

At that, as Bert also said.. 'nuff said' and that is all I am going to say on the matter.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; May 23, 2019 at 01:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2019, 01:53 PM
ex-noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Sorry if I've offended you,

Bert
Not offended by you. No worries.
May 23, 2019, 02:47 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Well documented test methodology and results speak for themselves, if you take the time to understand what they're saying. If you just skim and take offense, you're missing good stuff.
May 23, 2019, 03:57 PM
I am not a robot
Ken, I don't take any offence. I just think it's hard in this day of internet bullscheet to read something and take it as gospel. I don't know how many packs might have been tested, I don't live near his shop. He could be testing old stuff he could have stumbled on some bad batches. It doesn't really matter to me, but it just stands to reason that one man who seemingly works for a living would have the spare time to do all the testing necessary to put out undeniable irrefutable data.

If a company sells 10,000 batteries a year and you test 10 of those batteries you have not really proven that the whole batch is good or bad. Only that the batteries you bought tested at a given level. It's just not significant. It may be helpful to him and his buddies can believe whatever they want. At the rate the battery companies go though inventory, I find it hard to believe that any of them put out the same quality product year after year.

I've been using Pulse batteries without a single failure, while others curse them...I have Dinogy batteries that perform well also and I think Mark does a great job of testing his incoming product and weeding out the low quality stuff. But I doubt that he sells near as many batteries as some of the larger battery suppliers. I'm glad he does what he does, and I plan to use more of his stuff. I still find it hard to fault one company for years on end when you're not doing a consistent and significant amount of testing of their product.

My personal fault with Thunder Power is there sales practices. I don't want to have to wait for them to go on sale. I expect a fair price all the time. Their practice of selling high most of the year and then throwing out a few big sales a year just rubs me the wrong way. Just like I hate retailers in any business who have sales like buy 2 and get the next one half off. I'd much rather they would just be up front and give a % off the total and quit the bull.

Oh well, as I said before, I'd like to see this thread get back on topic, so I will not post more on the subject.

EDIT; The above statements are of course my own opinion.
May 23, 2019, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailbonds
I received my new Dualsky motor to test on my TBM. What a beautiful motor. I am very impressed with the fine craftsmanship that went into this motor. Something to keep in mind for those that may want to do the same thing. It needs a 3/8" spacer. I made one from basswood and am very pleased with the result. Right now, it is fitted with a 16x7 prop and EF cyclone spinner. I am patiently awaiting to receive my new 17x8 falcon props from our good friends at Northwest RC
**edit, the dualsky G series does not get along with the Talon 90 esc. I have a hobbywing 120 esc on order. I will let you all know how that goes. **
May 23, 2019, 06:29 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideslip
Ken, I don't take any offence. I just think it's hard in this day of internet bullscheet to read something and take it as gospel. I don't know how many packs might have been tested, I don't live near his shop. He could be testing old stuff he could have stumbled on some bad batches. It doesn't really matter to me, but it just stands to reason that one man who seemingly works for a living would have the spare time to do all the testing necessary to put out undeniable irrefutable data.
No offense taken. My point though is he documents explicitly which packs, how many packs, how he got them, etc. And exactly what paces he puts them through, and posts all the resulting data. You don't have to say "I don't know how many packs have been tested" - it's there in black and white if you want to find out. You can see the raw data and decide for yourself if what factors you care about and which battery you think would best suit what you want out of it. Yeah, it's only one guy, and even though he's very thorough it's only an occasional binge of testing not a full time thing. It may not be perfect, but it's miles better than someone saying "I've been happy with the brand X packs I bought."
May 23, 2019, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen
It may not be perfect, but it's miles better than someone saying "I've been happy with the brand X packs I bought."
Bingo!
May 23, 2019, 08:03 PM
I am not a robot
Ken, I don't want to clutter up this thread, so I'm going to send you a PM. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.
May 23, 2019, 08:47 PM
Just try'n to keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailbonds
**edit, the dualsky G series does not get along with the Talon 90 esc. I have a hobbywing 120 esc on order. I will let you all know how that goes. **

Cody has settings for hobbywing esc and that motor on the Turbo Raven forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
May 23, 2019, 09:23 PM
Canucklehead
So one can't run the DualSky on a Talon with good results?. Not really wanting to change speed controls too.
Latest blog entry: Little bout me
May 23, 2019, 09:37 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Evidently not.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 23, 2019, 09:41 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditpowdercoat
So one can't run the DualSky on a Talon with good results?. Not really wanting to change speed controls too.
Before I ruled it out, I'd find out exactly how many poles the Dualsky of your choice has, and call Castle. Ask their techs what they think, Might be good news, might not, but at least you'd have the opinion of the guys who play with them on a daily basis.
May 23, 2019, 09:43 PM
Just try'n to keep it up

Legacy Aviation 84" Turbo Bushmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditpowdercoat

Only the GA series, 28 pole motors, it seems. And since we’re at it, the XPwr 28 pole motors, and in my experience the XPwr 30cc also. This is what I got from castle when I asked about Talon and the GA 2000.4... “We have not tested the Talon 90 with that motor unfortunately. In general the Edge series ESCs would have a better chance since they have faster processors.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
May 23, 2019, 10:05 PM
I am not a robot
Well there ya go. I like to call Castle when ever I have a question about compatibility with one of their ESC. They are usually very helpful as well as friendly and willing to help.
May 24, 2019, 04:33 AM
I'm sorry to have caused such a stir-up over battery brands. That was not my intent.

Can someone please tell me the height of this plane with 5" wheels?

I would like to know if it will fit under a tonneau cover.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend...

Quick Reply