Anybody out there flying the Sin-Naps? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 04, 2004, 06:04 PM

Anybody out there flying the Sin-Naps?

I Would be interested to know of other peoples experiences regarding this little gem of a plane from Cl-i-max.
I had a bit of a mission balancing it but the Maiden yesterday proved the effort was worthwhile.
Very responsive, so much so that I ended up flying with 50% the recommended throws after a fright or two!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 04, 2004, 06:18 PM
BEC
BEC
That sounds familiar. I have one - very smooth and VERY responsive to the point that I'm not sure it's my kind of plane. I need to go fly it some more......
Aug 04, 2004, 06:53 PM
Hi again Bec.
It would be a good plane to take on holiday as it packs away so small,
you could fit two in your travel case!
I sneezed during the first takeoff and that caused me to do an inverted flight routine at about 2 feet with a near tail touch,
So after an eventful landing I reduced the throws and calmed the little tiger.
After that I began to enjoy myself.
Yes do reacquaint yourself with lil Sin-Naps and let me know how it goes.
This is my second AXI plane, thanks to your Silent afterburner thread and I am still not quite used to the eerie silence.
Aug 04, 2004, 08:34 PM
BEC
BEC
I have a 2808/34 in mine, running on 2s Apogee 850s as the preferred setup.

Packing isn't so easy as I didn't make the landing gear removable from the wing like Martin did.

I LOVE the silence of an AXi powered plane....
Aug 04, 2004, 10:37 PM
I did a mod to remove the landing gear but more for ease of covering and repair.
Do you mean 2208?
I am using the 2208/34 and I managed to mount the 2s etecs in the fuse fwd of the wing by cutting into the b2 bulkhead.More for aesthetics as it is a bit of a pain to remove the wing to get at the battery.
My mistake was using the shortened fuse version in the plans with the axi mounted inboard which caused a huge balance problem.
Have since extended the fuse and mounted the axi with a radial mount on the other side of the front bulkhead and hey presto it worked.
Rain today so I can't go and give it another blast, I am itching to increase the throws bit by bit.
What prop do you have on it Bec?
Aug 05, 2004, 02:03 AM
BEC
BEC
Yes, I meant 2208. Too many numbers!

My AXi installation is as yours wound up or close to it - it is rear mounted, but on the beta kit the front bulkhead arrangement was a bit different. ESC is inside (a bulky Jeti 08) over the wing. The battery winds up on the battery tray.

Prop is a 9x6 SF APC.

I have three Cirrus CS-4.4 servos in it and they seem up to the task but I just had my second one fail - this time after some use as the elevator servo on my DiddleBug. On a faster plane like the Sin-Naps this would be fatal in a hurry. As it was, the 'Bug needed some repairs and a new gearbox shaft. (My first failed CS-4.4 was DOA right out of the package.)
Aug 05, 2004, 03:36 AM
I was trying the 9x6 also.
I Have Cl-i-max Vamoose waiting to start but will resist until I feel really comfortable with this lil speedster.
Never had a servo fail yet, except due a crash........I think it is that way around!
The DiddleBug looks really fun so I must read the most recent thread on it.
Hopefully no rain tomorrow so I can try another flight or three.
Wonder if anyone else is flying a Sin-Naps?
Aug 05, 2004, 08:26 AM
Use whatcha got!
not flying it yet, but I'm having another (3rd) knee surgery on Aug. 18th, so I figure I'll use my down-time to build the sin-naps. Still trying to decide if I'm going to 'break into' brushless with this plane, or build it for one of the many brushed motors that I have laying around...

hoping this thread takes off, as I'd like to hear about some other setups that are being used in this plane.

-uproar90
Aug 06, 2004, 06:07 AM
It is a breeze to build uproar90, I actually did the bulk of it when on holiday in a campervan,
with such a small wing span it was easy to make it all on the campervan table in the evenings.
Perfect plane for post Knee op.
I really liked the jig tabs on the wing ribs, something I had not encountered before.
Make sure you build the full size fuse to aid in the balancing.
Will post a pic in a day or two.
Aug 06, 2004, 10:31 AM
Leave me alone!
It's been a while since I've flown my SN. I really should get it back in the air.

Martin
Aug 06, 2004, 05:26 PM
No rain today here in Auckland so I might just have another go, maybe bump it up to 60% throws!
Get those SN's in the air guys!!
Are there only 4 of us out there with them?
Aug 07, 2004, 06:48 AM
Some pics before I bump the throws up a bit more!
Aug 19, 2004, 04:33 PM
Use whatcha got!
Ok... So I'm officially post-op, and think I'm ready to start building (in between naps that is)

Couple of things to consider, and would appreciate some input...

I have a few extra IPS gearbox / motor setups and saw on the plans that this is an acceptable motor for this plane... I was considering going that route, and then moving to a LensRC BL after I burn this one out, or after I decide it doesn't have enough oomph for me... I figured that using this method I could build the motor mount for the IPS stick setup, and then still be OK w/ the IPS stick mount from Len...

Or, should I just buy the Axi 2208 ?

I guess the question is, if I don't like the way the CD-ROM motor flys this plane, how hard would it be to convert to the firewall mount for the AXI?

Or should the CD-ROM motor fly it just fine and I won't need to convert?

I'm kinda motocalc dumb and really don't know the difference between the AXI and the LensRC motor so any help would be greatly appreciated...

...another option is the new Feigao from balsapr.com... Again, I don't know stats on this motor so If anyone has experience, I'd greatly appreciate throwing this one into the mix as well...

-uproar90 / mike s.
Last edited by msmith; Aug 19, 2004 at 05:12 PM.
Aug 19, 2004, 05:29 PM
Hi Uproar
I don't think it would be a problem converting later if it was underpowered.
There is also a stick mount for the AXI if need be.
I am new to MotoCalc too so I hope an expert will jump in and answer your other question.
Wishing You a speedy recovery.
Aug 21, 2004, 08:10 AM
Well, a series of short flights today has confirmed to me that this wee plane is a handful and needs a reasonable amount of concentration on landings, at least by me.
I wish the wing was not screwed on as I split part of the fuse in a small crash landing.
I am going to change that mounting system seeing I am having less than competent flights at present.