Feb 07, 2016, 01:45 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Thread OP
New Product

Plans Cutting Service

Hey folks,

I’ve recently started a plans cutting service using my CNC router to cut short kits of parts for model airplane plans available in the public domain (Outerzone, Aerofred, etc.) The way it works is simple:

- You find a plan you’d like to build and send it to me electronically
- I decide whether I can cut it satisfactorily
- I trace the plan parts into a CAD program at no cost or obligation to you
- I send you a quote to cut the parts
- If you’re still interested, I cut the short kit following receipt of payment from you
- I send you the parts

Assuming you want to buy the short kit, I charge CDN$10-$12 per 4”x24” sheet of balsa parts (about USD$7-$8.50) and several cents per square inch for plywood parts, and ship using Canada Post/USPS tracked and insured mail with 4-10 day delivery.

My CNC cutter uses 1/32” and 1/16” diameter cutting bits and can cut balsa, ply and Depron up to ¼” thick. I usually cut part sheets from 4”x24” wood stock, but can cut stock up to 9” wide and 48” long.

I’ve cut a number of vintage plans for RCG members to date, and would be glad to cut some short kits for any of you who might be interested. This thread in the Scale Electric Kit/Scratchbuilt forum has comments from satisfied customers (nearer the end of the thread). If you’re curious, you can either PM me here on RCG or send me an e-mail at summitmodelaeronautics”at symbol”outlook.com. Thanks for reading!

Steve
Last edited by Steve85; Feb 08, 2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2016, 11:45 AM
Thermals, Tom
Nice work. What about other plans that may not have found their way on to Outerzone yet?
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Feb 08, 2016, 12:51 PM
The plans you are using may be in the public domain but I trust you're acknowledging those responsible in your kits? Also KEIL.

Regards Ian.
Feb 08, 2016, 01:43 PM
Still the "Pro"-crastinator...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211
Nice work. What about other plans that may not have found their way on to Outerzone yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circlip
The plans you are using may be in the public domain but I trust you're acknowledging those responsible in your kits? Also KEIL.

Regards Ian.
I'm mindful of the many discussions that have gone on here on RCG regarding the legal and ethical issues of copyright. I try to respect copyright laws when cutting short kits, (even though a short kit probably qualifies as fair use under the exception of transformation), and won't knowingly cut a kit of a plan for which the copyright is held by someone else. In one case, I was asked by a potential customer to cut a kit of a plan by a designer who's a member here on RCG. I sought and obtained the permission of the designer to cut the kit before I accepted the order. Potential customers provide their own plans for building, and I don't reproduce, distribute or sell them myself.

As for acknowledging the plan designers, I'm all for it. The original designers have done the hard work of putting pen to paper, and all I claim to do is to make it easier for others to build their designs.

Steve
Last edited by Steve85; Feb 08, 2016 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply