My Diatone Spadger ET-150 FPV quad racer - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by earlwb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 06, 2016, 06:12 PM
Discussion

My Diatone Spadger ET-150 FPV quad racer

I finished up my little Diatone Spadger ET 150 quad racer and have it all ready to go now. I sort of like the way it was designed. It uses a more wide frame design that lets you use regular sized flight controllers. The Ready Made RC 4 in 1 ESC is almost made for the little quad too.

I set up my example with Eachine BG1104-4000KV motors. These use the screw mount 3x2 propellers. A Ready Made RC 4 in 1 twelve amp ESC is used to drive the motors. I used a Emax Skyline32 Flight controller to control it all. A Lemon RC small six channel receiver handles the radio control part of it. I used M2 threaded standoffs and M2 plastic nuts as well as some M2 screws to mount the ESC's and FC onto the frame.

For FPV I installed the little camera VTX combo unit named a TE93A. It is found here http://www.banggood.com/520TVL-90120...-p-988290.html
It is a fairly small unit and quite compact. The video quality isn't bad either. It is working pretty well so far for me. It appears to output around maybe 25mw of RF as the range isn't bad. They do sell it with a antenna down version and a antenna up version. That basically means the camera is right side up or upside down. I suppose one could open it up and flip the camera over if they had to. But that might be a but tricky. You need to pop the back cover off and slide the entire insides out from the rear. I am thinking that the antenna might need to be a bit longer so it can be a little more high when you have the unit mounted. But my test flights haven't shown anything affecting it yet. I did think that the battery being mounted right behind it may be a problem, and it probably is, but it hasn't shown up as a problem yet.

Anyway, when putting it all together, I left the connectors on so I could make sure I had the motors hooked up to the appropriate channels and the motor directions going the right ways too. I then carefully cut each one down to size and removed the excess wire lengths.

I also used a power noise filter to help minimize any noise coming from the motors getting into the video output. The filter uses a AO4407A MosFet driver integrated circuit as well so it is more of a active noise filter in this case. They included a little LED power indicator on the filter circuit too. After soldering on the wires to let me hook it up, I slipped on a piece of clear heat shrink tubing to cover and protect it some. This filter can be found here as well: http://www.banggood.com/Filter-25V-2...p-1023942.html

All up weight with the noise filter is about 158 grams. So it comes in under the 250 gram minimum, by a considerable margin, that the FAA requires for registration. I can remove the noise filter and then it weighs about 154 grams.

Anyway here are some pics of it.
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 08, 2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo correction
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2016, 10:17 AM
I noticed I didn't have a full picture of the little Spadger Quad. So here is one to show it all up in flying trim. I have been using a 3 cell 500mah Lipo battery pack, but it results in somewhat shorter flying times. So I am going to try out a 850mah pack next.

When I first flew it, I needed to dial in the PID a little. I needed to reduce or subtract from the P and I about ten increments to get it to fly smoothly. But of course that varies with each person's implementation. So it is hard to say if my PID settings would work for anyone else.
May 27, 2016, 10:17 PM
Awesome! Thanks earlwb for all this info.