Feb 06, 2016, 11:50 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Thread OP
Contest

Eastern Soaring League ALES comes to Long Island - April 23 & 24 - LISF

The Long Island Silent Flyers would like to announce that we will be hosting the Eastern Soaring League on April 23 and 24 for an Altitude Limited Electric Soaring Contest, ALES. All AMA members are welcome.

Registration site: http://www.flyesl.org

If you have ANY problems registering let me know.

Description:

This will be a electric launched thermal duration soaring contest flown under AMA rules for event 631, Altitude Limited Electric Soaring, ALES. Contest results will be reported to both the Eastern Soaring League and the ALES League.

All gliders will require an ALES device set to 200 meters. If you are not familiar with ALES devices you can read more about them here: [url]https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2147170&highlight=ALES+Device#pos t28094724

A maximum registration of 40 pilots has been set to insure plenty of room for everyone to fly and land with no overlap of landing circles.

You can learn more about the club and the flying field at www.lisf.org

We will fly Expert Class, Sportsman Class and Novice Class.

Expert and Sportsman awards to 3rd place.

All Novice pilots will receive a certificate. Novice fly FREE.

For GPS and MapQuest users, the address for the field entrance is 25 Southwoods Road, Syosset, NY 11791.

If you need a place to stay you can find information about options here:
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

LISF is very friendly to new pilots and those who have never flown an ALES contest before. We have been hosting Eastern Soaring League TD, DLG and ALES contests for years.

If you have questions, please ask. That is the purpose of this discussion thread.

Ed Anderson and George Hill - Co-CDs
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 14, 2016 at 01:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2016, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Can someone provide a list of current ALES devices? I am using original CAM units.
Mar 16, 2016, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Hope you guys in the Northeast will be coming to the LISF ALES contest in April.

Still looking for a list of current ALES devices.
Apr 12, 2016, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
The full field was cut at the end of last season so we will have a huge open space in which to fly. At this time we have 17 registered. I put a limit of 40 on registration but I expect we will be in the 25 to 30 pilot range.

Depending on how many we have we will fly 3 or 4 flight groups per round so we should get in plenty of flying.

Awards for expert and sportsman to 3rd place
Novice will receive certificates and will fly free so bring you newbie buddies

Lunch will be available so no one need go hungry.

We should have a great time!
Apr 12, 2016, 09:15 PM
Ok that's high enough
If everything goes as planned, I'll make the 6 hours drive Friday afternoon.

Where do you recommend staying? Cheap & clean?
Apr 12, 2016, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Go ahead and register. No penalty if you don't make it. We don't collect the money till you are at the field.

If you need a place to stay you can find information about options here:
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=318

I can say that the most popular is the Executive and the Best Western on Jericho Tpk in Woodbury. Near the field and right next to a very good Diner. Although I think the Executive changed hands and is now the Days Inn.
Apr 18, 2016, 09:31 AM
Thread OP
Current forecast for the contest is:

Saturday, Partly cloudy, 64 degrees. Wind from the North around 10. Excellent flying conditions.

Sunday, sunny, 64 degrees. Wind from the North at 7 mph. Even better conditions.

Should be a prefect weekend. I plan to have the field open for practice after 12:00 pm.
Apr 19, 2016, 09:42 AM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Can someone provide a list of current ALES devices? I am using original CAM units.
Ed,
I will be driving down for Saturday comp and I hope to drag Alex Hall along.

I will be using an Altis V4 as my shutoff device. Right now set for 200m. Let me know if that changes.

Wally by Golly
Apr 19, 2016, 11:48 AM
Thread OP
That should be fine. No plans to change from 200 meters.

Please be sure to get Alex to register so I have him on the pilot list.

No rain in the forecast so it should be a great contest.
Apr 19, 2016, 07:14 PM
Still circling in sink...
Ed, is the $7 lunch still on, and do we need to preorder?
Apr 19, 2016, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
Lunch is still on and you do not have to preorder.
Apr 20, 2016, 07:16 AM
Ok that's high enough
I am unable to apply for a UAS registration because I am canadian. I am afraid I have to cancel all my plans to compete in the US until the FAA resolves this issue. So in regret and sadness, I have to inform that I will not attend to LISF this weekend, and any other US comp this year.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

But all are invited to attend to the Lacolle International on August 26-28, registration is open.
Apr 20, 2016, 01:36 PM
Thread OP
I am sending you a PM
Apr 21, 2016, 07:27 AM
Rick Roberts
Will try for Friday afternoon, but I see thunderstorms in the forecast.

Rick
Apr 21, 2016, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Yes, it looks like Friday afternoon we may see some rain but that could clear up. Let's keep our fingers crossed. I plan to be at the field if the weather is clear.

Quick Reply