Feb 29, 2016, 08:38 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Sabena forever!

DC3 Dakota (6 min 5 sec)
Last edited by demondriver; Feb 29, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2016, 05:17 AM
An unexpected error occurred
Thread OP
Nice animation, thanks for sharing!
Mar 01, 2016, 05:46 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra
Nice animation, thanks for sharing!
Anytime Phaedra! The Sabena scene is one of the most beautiful liveries of all time.
Latest blog entry: RC 737 Max 7 Maiden flight!
Oct 05, 2019, 03:38 AM
An unexpected error occurred
Thread OP
Reviving this thread a little...
I'm not about to build the DC 3 just yet, but I'm starting to organise myself for the build :-)
I still need to do some house renovation upstairs, to have a separate hobby room for these kind of builds. I started a wood/balsa build last winter in my hobbyroom downstairs, but the cats have access to that room, and one of the cats ruined a lot of my work. Hence the decision to use another room in the future.
But I couldn't resist opening the box again and getting the plans out, so I can get a better idea of the construction. I can't find any build logs of this specific kits, only Top Flite kits, so I guess I'm on my own.
I decided to get copies of the plans first, so I can save the original ones. I found a local copyshop that does A0 (and larger) prints (and scans). I asked the shopkeeper if he could do a mirror copy of the wing sheet, to make it easier for me to build the left wing. He couldn't do that, but he offered to copy it onto transparent paper (I don't know the exact English term for it, we call it "calque paper"). Excellent idea, a bit more expensive (26 Euro per sheet, instead of 9 on normal paper). He can even scan the plans for me and send them in PDF form to me.
I was able to contact Jan Karlsson for the cowls and fairings set. He replied that he is willing to fabricate me a set, but not this year. I have time.
I can now start studying the plans and the parts kit, and lookup some scale data of the Sabena (and other) DC 3.
Oct 15, 2019, 10:47 AM
Glad you got back to procrastinating and hope you finish and fly her. I have the Pat Tritle/Brodak DC-3 kit and hope to start it soon but congestion in my small work space and repairs on another model have kept me from starting. Some tips: Keep weight down as much as practical. Make sure wing panels are straight and symmetrical. Best to have some wing tip washout to guard against lateral instability. Keep banks shallow and nose level to avoid stalling and spiral dive (typical with tapered DC-3 wing) . Keep airspeed up enough and nose down during landings. Experiment with flaps at altitude and watch for ballooning. Start with small or no down-flap for takeoffs and more for landings. You may want to use down elevator mix with flaps. I prefer manual down elevator inputs with flaps due to differences in effects of headwinds, airspeed, etc. during landings and takeoffs.

My DC-3 will have AA Flagship Detroit livery using Callie Graphics. This is a 60" wingspan light structure electric powered model that needs calm air and careful flying to avoid stalls. Retract landing gear must be hand made, not sure if I'll attempt it. Good luck with your build!!

Quick Reply