Feb 05, 2016, 02:09 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Truck to RC Crawler?

Hello everyone, is it possible to turn an RC Truck into an RC Crawler ONLY in speed?

I have a Traxxas Xmaxx and want to produce very low end speeds out of it. Like 1/4-1mph... basically very slow movements. When I try to do this with my Traxxas it just starts cogging. I'm replacing the 15T 32P pinion with a 11T 32P pinion. But the 54TSpur gear cannot be increased, 54T is max spur gear size.

I am not an expert so I don't know how much is motor and how much is ESC when it comes to creating very low end speeds.

But I need to make this truck go extremely slow otherwise it's not much use to me. Is there any conceivable way to make this happen?

I've loosened the slipper clutch a little and that helps but that takes all your torque out so then it can't roll over a pencil without just revving the pinion. lol So is there anyway around this?

Are there motors that I could replace with the Traxxas? Do I need a motor with a brushes instead of the brushless that it comes with?

I like this truck because it has a lot of real estate for use in my robotics project but I just don't know how to create low speeds in it.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2016, 08:00 AM
Bash the planet!!
Yes you need a brushed motor and esc. For something as big as the X-maxx I suggest the motor out of 1/8 redcat crawler, I believe it's a 100 turn motor. Should be able to find one on eBay. A cheap hobby wing esc ought to get the job done.
Feb 05, 2016, 09:38 PM
oh that guy
15t motor is way too hot of a motor. About 45 to 55t brushed would get you about where you need I think but that is a freaking big truck so waitwhatsthat's idea about 100t might be right. No idea how that large of a motor acts with the same turns as a smaller style.
Feb 06, 2016, 05:20 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Okay I'll check out the 1/8 redcat motor and see if it will fit into the Traxxas. I guess I am looking for the body housing to be the same as well as the shaft diameter of the motor right? Will the same traxxas ESC talk to a redcat motor or do I have to replace the esc at the same time? I'm thinking of going to an opensource ESC such as VESC for use in robotics. I would imagine that would talk to the redcat motor.
Feb 06, 2016, 07:21 AM
Bash the planet!!
You will need an esc designed to work with a brushed motor. The Traxxas one you have will not work. I'm not sure if the robots esc will work. I don't know anything about them.
Feb 06, 2016, 11:46 AM
oh that guy
Just get an esc ment for large scale brushed and rated for the batteries you are running. When it comes to motors it doesn't matter what brand just as long as it is the same type either brushed or brushless.
Feb 06, 2016, 12:30 PM
Suspended Account
avon . yes you can do this..with a sensored brushless motor..or a brushed motor. but i see some issues you will have .. this has a integrated motor mount that uses a pin lock system for spur n pinion gears..here might help u in ur task...
AX30722 Pinion Gear 32P 11T (3mm shaft)
AX30723 Pinion Gear 32P 12T (3mm shaft)
AX30724 Pinion Gear 32P 13T (3mm shaft)
AX30725 Pinion Gear 32P 14T (3mm shaft)
AX30726 Pinion Gear 32P 15T (3mm shaft)
AX30727 Pinion Gear 32P 16T (3mm shaft)
AX30728 Pinion Gear 32P 17T (3mm shaft)

most crawler motor over 35t should work..id get a 85t more common than 100t..also Id go with a much better esc than mentioned in these posts
Feb 07, 2016, 06:55 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by losi man
avon . yes you can do this..with a sensored brushless motor..or a brushed motor. but i see some issues you will have .. this has a integrated motor mount that uses a pin lock system for spur n pinion gears..here might help u in ur task...
AX30722 Pinion Gear 32P 11T (3mm shaft)
AX30723 Pinion Gear 32P 12T (3mm shaft)
AX30724 Pinion Gear 32P 13T (3mm shaft)
AX30725 Pinion Gear 32P 14T (3mm shaft)
AX30726 Pinion Gear 32P 15T (3mm shaft)
AX30727 Pinion Gear 32P 16T (3mm shaft)
AX30728 Pinion Gear 32P 17T (3mm shaft)

most crawler motor over 35t should work..id get a 85t more common than 100t..also Id go with a much better esc than mentioned in these posts
Yes I've already maxed out the spur and pinion to 11Tooth (smallest pinion) and 54Tooth (largest spur). So now I need a brushed motor that can handle very low speeds and is compatible with x-maxx.

What's in the xmaxx is a Velineon 1600XL 6s Lipo VXL-6S Traxxas 77076-4

it says the specs are

SPECS:
DIAMETER - 48MM
TOTAL LENGTH - 110MM
SHAFT (PINION BORE) - 5MM
SHAFT LENGTH - 25MM
CAN LENGTH - 85MM

So can you tell me a brushed motor that would be a good replacement?

Thanks
Feb 07, 2016, 07:34 AM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Also what is a sensored brushless motor? Is that a motor that wont cog at very low startup speeds?
Feb 07, 2016, 12:02 PM
oh that guy
Yes a sensored brushless motor uses a sensor to tell where the core is to get the proper rotaion. A sensor less rocks or "cogs" the motor at start up and lower speeds.
Feb 07, 2016, 05:47 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_chance
Yes a sensored brushless motor uses a sensor to tell where the core is to get the proper rotaion. A sensor less rocks or "cogs" the motor at start up and lower speeds.
Oh I see. I guess they don't use that because they are more expensive. What are the best sensored motors out there?

Quick Reply