Feb 11, 2016, 07:52 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Scott,

Was the hobby shop from your first post in an old grocery store, or something along that size? I vaguely remember as a child going in one like that with my dad. Mark knows the name, I've forgotten it again. I worked at Silver Wings for years
Found the old location on Google earth. The old Atlas gym made it easy to identity. The fašade of the shopping center looks different now, back in the seventies it looked straight from the 1950s. I was fairly young when went frequent there, I just remember it being huge.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2016, 09:54 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
I miss the Hobby Stop here in PTC. Luckily Fayette Hobbies has a good selection of RC hardware.

Another memory from the past is when my dad took me to a large RC expo in the World Congress Center in Atlanta in around 1987. Remembering a large vintage scale Farman electric indoor RC plane flying above the crowd. His landing in the crowd was interesting. Everyone in the crowd put their hands up and the large plane landed softly in a sea of hands. Kinda like crowd surfing in a mosh pit.
Feb 11, 2016, 09:58 AM
Reveret
Regarding the Byron Originals airshow, I made the fly-in/airshow for the '90 and '91 events. In those days I had a Cessna 210 and flew into Ida Grove, Iowa in '90 but because of weather I went into Omaha and drove to Ida Grove in '91. I think Omaha worked out to be the closest airport equipped with an ILS and not too far of a drive to Ida Grove.

The "Striking Back" show was truly spectacular and well worth the trip. There was a full scale airshow as well as the model airshow that was put on daily. One of the years I was there several of the remaining crew of the Enola Gay were on hand meet and greet. There are some professional video productions from Byron's that covered their aircraft line and the "Striking Back" show.

I think the show went away in the early '90's partially due to a fatal crash of one of the Tora Tora Tora Zero converted T-6's performing in the full scale airshow. If anyone can find the videos you will see the state of the art in rc from almost 30 years ago.
Feb 11, 2016, 09:18 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveret
Regarding the Byron Originals airshow, I made the fly-in/airshow for the '90 and '91 events. In those days I had a Cessna 210 and flew into Ida Grove, Iowa in '90 but because of weather I went into Omaha and drove to Ida Grove in '91. I think Omaha worked out to be the closest airport equipped with an ILS and not too far of a drive to Ida Grove.

The "Striking Back" show was truly spectacular and well worth the trip. There was a full scale airshow as well as the model airshow that was put on daily. One of the years I was there several of the remaining crew of the Enola Gay were on hand meet and greet. There are some professional video productions from Byron's that covered their aircraft line and the "Striking Back" show.

I think the show went away in the early '90's partially due to a fatal crash of one of the Tora Tora Tora Zero converted T-6's performing in the full scale airshow. If anyone can find the videos you will see the state of the art in rc from almost 30 years ago.
One of my first jobs was flying bank checks in a 210 converted into a freighter. Such a great and fast airplane.
Feb 11, 2016, 09:21 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C
I miss the Hobby Stop here in PTC. Luckily Fayette Hobbies has a good selection of RC hardware.

Another memory from the past is when my dad took me to a large RC expo in the World Congress Center in Atlanta in around 1987. Remembering a large vintage scale Farman electric indoor RC plane flying above the crowd. His landing in the crowd was interesting. Everyone in the crowd put their hands up and the large plane landed softly in a sea of hands. Kinda like crowd surfing in a mosh pit.
I remember seeing it fly, didnt see the "landing" part. That was Tony and Addie Naccarato's Farman. Was the IMS show
Feb 11, 2016, 10:06 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
They also had a RC blimp there.... he let me fly it, and about a year later I built one too. Tony was his name.

I was at the IMS show representing GMP Helicopters
Feb 16, 2016, 11:25 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Was unable to locate any old photos at my parents house. However, I did snap a photo of one of my dad's old planes he flew around Atlanta during the eighties. It is a Goldberg Falcon 56 MKII.

Thanks guys for giving names and places to some of the events in my past.
Last edited by Scott C; Feb 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM.
Feb 16, 2016, 03:50 PM
I was in the Atlanta Helicopter club for a few years.......
It was the driving force of Jim Himes and his hobby shop up off Old National Highway that got that club going. The hobby shop was called "In-Air Hobbies" and only specialized in Miniature Aircraft Excel Heli's.
We flew at some Purina property a little......
Later in Jonesboro at Commerce Park....
and then Finally at Atlanta Motor speedway....... also where we held the "Southern Classic" Heli Fun-Fly for about 4 or 5 years.
Those were some good times.......... and learning to fly a Helicopter at the level made me a much better airplane driver when I went back to planes.
Here is 2 pics from Atlanta Motor speedway as I was practicing for the Nats
(Pardon the Daisy Dukes! LOL)
Feb 16, 2016, 06:54 PM
That 96Rock sticker is a collectible. People pay for the tags.
Feb 16, 2016, 07:57 PM
Blew out my flip flop
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanpatch
I was in the Atlanta Helicopter club for a few years.......
It was the driving force of Jim Himes and his hobby shop up off Old National Highway that got that club going. The hobby shop was called "In-Air Hobbies" and only specialized in Miniature Aircraft Excel Heli's.
We flew at some Purina property a little......
Later in Jonesboro at Commerce Park....
and then Finally at Atlanta Motor speedway....... also where we held the "Southern Classic" Heli Fun-Fly for about 4 or 5 years.
Those were some good times.......... and learning to fly a Helicopter at the level made me a much better airplane driver when I went back to planes.
Here is 2 pics from Atlanta Motor speedway as I was practicing for the Nats
(Pardon the Daisy Dukes! LOL)
Rock n roll jet patrol and Bruce Erion's 11Alive!! I remember both of them! You taught Jeff Pouliot and I to hover GMP Rebel's fixed pitch .40's around that time or a little later. A friend of mine was mowing out at the Douglasville field and Bruce snuck up on him, rising out of the valley there like airwolf. They were shooting for a news intro, and Tom made the video, he was on the news daily for a year or so,lol
Feb 17, 2016, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Rock n roll jet patrol and Bruce Erion's 11Alive!! I remember both of them! You taught Jeff Pouliot and I to hover GMP Rebel's fixed pitch .40's around that time or a little later. A friend of mine was mowing out at the Douglasville field and Bruce snuck up on him, rising out of the valley there like airwolf. They were shooting for a news intro, and Tom made the video, he was on the news daily for a year or so,lol

Good memories.... i got 3rd in the NATS in Heli Intermeadiate Pattern.
Feb 19, 2016, 12:01 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
That 11Alive Jet Ranger is impressive even by today's standards. I guessing that predates the yaw gyro?
Feb 19, 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C
That 11Alive Jet Ranger is impressive even by today's standards. I guessing that predates the yaw gyro?
It had the old mechanical Gyro ..... you had to wait for it to spool up before hitting the skies... Futuba brand
Feb 19, 2016, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyT2
That 96Rock sticker is a collectible. People pay for the tags.
I have more stickers and even a pristine tag!
Mar 12, 2016, 09:11 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Not Atlanta, but great 1980s rc footage that was posted in another RCGs thread. Great shots of Paul MacCready's Pterodactyl. Remember reading about MacCready's accomplishment as a teenager in Model Aviation in the mid-eighties.

Vintage RC Video Magazine #5 1986 Table Contents in Description (1 hr 36 min 14 sec)

Quick Reply