Feb 07, 2016, 07:37 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Later I flew my Bridi Super Kaos .40 there...
In this pic I had just had a mid-air with Larry Mueller parasol.

Note the old POS Kraft sport series radio
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2016, 09:03 PM
It's just plane fun
I know the topic is ATL but I have to pass on a word about the hobby shop down in Macon. I went there in the late 60's and early 70's when I could talk Dad into driving me down. We would get most of our C/L stuff there.

Here is a fellow's post I found from 2005 that better explained it:

"Macon Hobby Shop
Corner of Cherry and Second Sts , UNDER THE STREET.
My one and only all my life until left Macon in 1970.
In that time, it moved from there to Joseph N. Neel Co. store on Cherry St. Then to Poplar St.
Jimmy and Virginia McKay owners.
Many good times at 'the ring' in Central City Park. Jimmy was there almost every Sunday with all the forgotten accys. (Fuel, props,lines,glues,gloplugs,fuel, etc.) Really kept the hobby going in Macon. He died a few months ago.... Really miss him."

It was sold in 1986 and closed a couple years after that.
Feb 10, 2016, 09:41 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
I will have the check my folk's house this weekend for photos and videos of some of the rogue fields my dad and I used to fly. I know my uncle shot some good footage at the old Morrow High School.

In the meantime anybody remember Byrons Original Airshows? I love the vintage feel of this video.
Byron Originals Aviation Expo Airshow 1987 (30 min 13 sec)
Feb 10, 2016, 09:46 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Never even heard of those before
Feb 10, 2016, 10:08 AM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
RCM and Model Aviation magazine gave quite a bit coverage to the event back in the eighties.
Feb 10, 2016, 11:47 AM
Josh Frank Dad and myself went to the big Byron show in 1989.... flew Delta...
It was an amazing spectacle.
Feb 10, 2016, 06:34 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Byron's Original large scale fiberglass P51 kit with a four bladed reduction drive prop was just about the most exotic kit from that time period. I'm sure many RC pilots from the eighties lust after this kit.

Byron p-51 with reduction drive (7 min 1 sec)
Feb 10, 2016, 08:42 PM
I followed the Conley Flyers around thru 5 different flying sites...
Now called Henry County RC...... at the current location I have not ever been a member but I go to all the open events that I can.
Last edited by pecanpatch; Feb 10, 2016 at 09:26 PM.
Feb 10, 2016, 08:43 PM
Double post....
Feb 10, 2016, 09:10 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
My dad was a member of Conley Flyers at one time. I remember flying at one of their fields that faced west into the sunset. To make the field usable in the evenings they installed plywood disc on poles to shield the sun.
Feb 10, 2016, 10:21 PM
Fly safe, fly often!
I have a long history of r/c . . . after trying to fly the airplane the hobby shop owner sold me, I gave up - the recipe was for disaster, not success and I failed - I quit.

That attitude lasted about a week.

Then I decided to teach myself - and I did some research. The result was a Midwest Performer - it was a 6' wingspan sailplane with a Cox .049 for power - the wing was made from solid pieces of balsa and had an undercambered shape. It worked! I went to pastures and other fields and flew the snot out of that thing.

My second airplane was a MEN Trainer 10 (Michigan Engineering ?) and now I had throttle control with my O.S. .15. This was a 54" undercambered wing and it had ribs, covering - still only three channel but wow was that fun. It would actually fly backwards into the wind. I flew the snot out of that one also.

Then I moved up to a biplane - sort of a simplified version of the hyperbipe but still only three channel.

I think this was back in 1978

Since then I've been in and out of the hobby

It's embarrassing to admit but only up until a few years ago I was finally able to comfortably fly just a few feet off the runway inverted - I always had a problem with inverted flight until I got Phoenix R/C and . . . yes, I practiced the snot out of Phoenix also (ha)

Back in the pre-r/c days, my dad would take me to the hobby shops in the Atlanta area. I remember one store that had a wooden floor - I believe was a picture frame shop/hardware/hobby store. I bought a Carl Goldberd Lil Wizard and flew it after the Cox .049 airplanes (Mustang and a biplane). Friends in the neighborhood joined in and we had several kids flying in an awesome field behind our neighbors house - we often flew until it was too dark to see safely. Those were the days.

As soon as I had enough money I bought an r/c airplane - it had a Kraft 4 channel radio - I was in love. But the airplane the hobby shop guy sold me was far from anything someone could likely use to train themselves. It had been raining for days prior to my solo outing. Takeoff was spectacular - pretty non-eventful actually - as I came around the field for a pass, my twiddle fingers didn't do what my mind thought they should do and I panicked. I honestly believe the engine was at least 9 inches under the mud - I had to pull that son of a beach with significant force to get that sucker out. My first diabolical crash. The first of many as the years rolled by.

Sorry to ramble - this brings back lots of memories - the vast majority are good times, very good times.
Feb 11, 2016, 04:15 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Scott,

Was the hobby shop from your first post in an old grocery store, or something along that size? I vaguely remember as a child going in one like that with my dad. Mark knows the name, I've forgotten it again. I worked at Silver Wings for years
Feb 11, 2016, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Scott,

Was the hobby shop from your first post in an old grocery store, or something along that size? I vaguely remember as a child going in one like that with my dad. Mark knows the name, I've forgotten it again. I worked at Silver Wings for years
There was Briar Vista hobbies...
Decatur Speedway...
And Hobby City ..... in Forest Park.....

And yes silver wings....
Used to love Hobby Stop in Peachtree city as well.
Feb 11, 2016, 05:44 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Hobby City is the one I remember
Feb 11, 2016, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hogue
Hobby City is the one I remember
Charles ran Hobby City,,,
His Dad Charlie. ... owned Decatur speedway.. (was also a huge slot car venue)

I still have my old Andrews Aeromaster Biplane I bought at Hobby city... and the box it came in holds my monocote scraps...

Quick Reply