Feb 04, 2016, 03:56 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

ATL retro RC - flying fields and hobby shops from the 70s, 80s and 90s.

After seeing Mark's (Pecan Patch) photo of the old rogue Shannon Mall flying field, I thought it would be fun to have a talk about RC in Atlanta's past.

The first hobby shop I can remember visiting in Atlanta was over in Forest Park in the late seventies with my dad. I can not remember the name, however it was located over next to the Atlas gym. It was quite large and dark inside. The sales clerk showed us a Sig Cadet and turned on the receiver. After seeing the controls move, I was hooked. My dad later bought a SureFlite 182 with an Enya .19. Other hobby shops I recall: PDQ, Silver Wings, and Lenox toy and hobby.

Cheers
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2016, 01:35 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Robert at HT Duluth got me started and kept me flying my first years while the hook was set.
He was pretty instrumental in a lot of new pilots hobby careers

Probably about 12-15 years ago now...
Feb 05, 2016, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaventFlownSince2014
Robert at HT Duluth got me started and kept me flying my first years while the hook was set.

And who ended your career?
Feb 05, 2016, 08:28 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Not quitting till my thumbs fall off!
I had a busy few years, but 2016 is looking big and off to a great start- will finally make NALL! and my P-47 is flying after 4+ years on the bench
Feb 05, 2016, 08:40 PM
Quote:

Does Robert still work there? I haven't been in HT Duluth in at least 5 yrs. He was always helpful, if a bit blunt.
Feb 05, 2016, 09:34 PM
Quote:
I had a busy few years, but 2016 is looking big and off to a great start- will finally make NALL! and my P-47 is flying after 4+ years on the bench
Awesome. Why sell the nice cub?
Feb 05, 2016, 09:37 PM
Totally Twisted
Quote:
I'm just gonna put this out there--- Hoss has been to the Patch 2 more time than you in 2016. what happened last week?
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Feb 05, 2016, 09:38 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Cause I have two scaled out 1/4 scale H9 Cubs.
Feb 06, 2016, 04:19 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Not sure if anyone remembers PDQ hobbies in Riverdale during the mid-eighties. The 1/10 scale off road races were booming. Enjoyed many races with my RC10. Thought RC cars were not cool when I went to college and sold my RC10 made in California kit. Regret it now.
Feb 06, 2016, 04:23 PM
Totally Twisted
I still have my original gold pan RC10. It's a classic. They reissued it about a year ago.
Feb 06, 2016, 09:05 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrich
I still have my original gold pan RC10. It's a classic. They reissued it about a year ago.
I guess they say you can never go back home. Built this SC10 a few years to relive my racing days at a local track. Unfortunately, the track closed before I had a chance to run. So I installed at 27t rock crawler motor so the kids could drive it without destroying it in short order.
Last edited by Scott C; Feb 06, 2016 at 10:24 PM.
Feb 06, 2016, 09:21 PM
Totally Twisted
Like you, I took a 25 year break after going to college. I picked up a six cell pack for the gold pan and it was fun enough to get a big Slask 4x4 Velenion with 3S. The jump in technology was CRAZY!!!! How does this story stay on topic?-- Hobby Town Duluth kept me running. I need to get the RC10 back on the bench.
Feb 07, 2016, 08:38 AM
Totally Twisted
Speaking of retro, Tower Hobbies was my go to spot as a kid. I remember getting the catalog, and filling out the order form by hand. Then we had to go get a money order. Thank god for PayPal these days-- and the web. Funny, Tower still seems kinda old school to me compared to other vendors. But on a good note they have EVERYTHING to rehab my old RC 10! Once I get it solid I'll bring it to the patch an you can run it Scott. Score!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=ASCD6001&P=PU
Feb 07, 2016, 03:13 PM
son of a pilot
Thread OP
Thanks.
I certainly remember filling out order forms and including a money order for Tower.

Driving a vintage RC10 would be a threat. It is surprising that I won, looking back, I totally had my car set up all wrong. Good eyesight and reactions saved me.
Feb 07, 2016, 07:34 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C
After seeing Mark's (Pecan Patch) photo of the old rogue Shannon Mall flying field, I thought it would be fun to have a talk about RC in Atlanta's past.

The first hobby shop I can remember visiting in Atlanta was over in Forest Park in the late seventies with my dad. I can not remember the name, however it was located over next to the Atlas gym. It was quite large and dark inside. The sales clerk showed us a Sig Cadet and turned on the receiver. After seeing the controls move, I was hooked. My dad later bought a SureFlite 182 with an Enya .19. Other hobby shops I recall: PDQ, Silver Wings, and Lenox toy and hobby.

Cheers
Great idea Scott..
Here is the picture again.... this was taken at Shannon Mall, the roads where there but the mall had not been built yet. My white 67 Chevy Van.

I'm pretty sure that is my brother Frank with shorts and tank top under the hood of that car.

Quick Reply