Apr 05, 2016, 10:05 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Extreme Flight will have a set of floats available that are specially made to fit the Turbo Duster. I hope to see some at SEFF next week and maybe get a better target date for their availability.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2016, 02:20 PM
Love to see some float flying video.
May 02, 2016, 11:36 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Look what followed me home from SEFF. These are the prototype set of floats for the yellow Turbo Duster! I'm just putting some Legacy Aviation decals in place and they should be ready for our local float fly on Wednesday. These things are amazingly light - 2 lbs. 4 oz. ready to float including the sub fin. I can't wait!

McD
May 02, 2016, 11:52 AM
John
Nice. I'm going to float one. The Duster or TBM.
May 02, 2016, 11:56 AM
Hi Again Mike;
My turbo Duster is finished now! Your review really helped, Thanks.
I made a few changes to mine;
I installed a larger motor (AXI 4130-20) with only 305Kv, So I'm using a bigger prop too; an 18 x 12 APC. This beast should pull like a Turboprop!

I didn't use the ball links that came with the kit cause theyre a real PITA;
my choice was the excellent JR Heli Division Universal Ball Link :
JRP870004, and Joint Balls with 2 x 8mm screws, JRP970001. These ball links are made to use the 2.5 mm pushrods that come with the Duster kit and thread on easily and tight.

I used 1" larger wheels because our grass field is not the best.

The beautiful canopy on this plane cries out for a pilot bust so I added a pilot and a paper instrument panel and covered the bottom of the top hatch with fine black sandpaper to hide the wide open view down inside the plane.

BTW: the spinner that came with the kit is great and was easily cut to fit the APC 18x12 prop.

I'm using the recommended Hitec servos but not the 1.25" aluminum servo arms, I am using lite aluminum 1" servo arms and I can still get 45 degrees travel on everything; using 140 % hi-rate settings, I just think those little servos might suffer from too much stress with the longer servo arms, with my sometimes aggressive flying style!

Maiden flight tomorrow! Thanks so much for yur review,

Keither

My Duster came out at 6 pounds, 13 ounces, with the larger motor and a 4500MAH 6s Batt pack, and the pilot and larger wheels.
May 02, 2016, 12:02 PM
May I come up there to see your float test? I wanna put floats on mine too!
May 02, 2016, 12:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Sure, come on out and bring some float planes. I'll have the rescue boat. I'll be there about 7:30 and we plan to fly till a little after noon. I'm sure we'll head to the Chinese place in Llano afterwards.
McD
May 05, 2016, 09:30 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
OK, here's the video from our float fly. I didn't want to use a wooden prop, so I used an APC 15x6 that I had on hand. It gave me a little more "water clearance" and thrust for the extra drag from the floats. It worked out fine and the smaller prop drew less amps so I got longer flight times as a bonus. The setup still had more than 1:1 thrust.

McD

Turbo Duster on Floats (8 min 57 sec)
May 05, 2016, 11:43 PM
John
When are these available for the public? Looks pretty sweet. What will happen to a Xoar prop in the water, especially if you don't have to take much of th finish off for balancing?
Also it looks like you took the tail wheel off and there is some type of under fin added similar to the TBM.
May 06, 2016, 07:35 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Last I heard at SEFF, they were on the boat and heading to Extreme Flight. Yes, there is a subfin that adds to the vertical surface area. You take off the tailwheel (3 screws) and tape on the subfin. The whole process to change from wheels to floats takes less than 5 minutes. Ben Fisher did a video of the process and it only took him 3 minutes. I'll see if I can post a copy here later today.

McD
May 10, 2016, 03:58 PM
Tree hopper
Looks good!!
May 14, 2016, 06:32 PM
Hi Mike Sorry I missed the Wednesday float fly; thanks for the invite
Please let me know when Y'all do it again!
The TD is now my favorite plane!
May 15, 2016, 04:01 PM
Thanks for sharing the video. Totally cool.
May 16, 2016, 08:15 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Thread OP
Thanks. I've been flying it on the wheels this week and it never fails to impress. What a great flying plane!

McD
May 18, 2016, 09:37 AM
ExtremeFlightRC.com
A few float kits for the 65" Turbo Duster should arrive in Extreme Flight's warehouse late next week.

Here are a few pics of the red/white scheme on floats at Joe Nall. I have to say, the Turbo Duster flies exceptionally well on floats. We burned through a lot of packs flying it off the 3D line pond!
Last edited by horton; May 18, 2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: More pics!

Quick Reply