Feb 03, 2016, 07:12 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Thread OP
Discussion

Gyros for 3D / XA comparison (Cortex, Aura 8, ?)

I have a cortex. I'm considering wether to get one of the other options (like the Aura 8, or possibly even the AR7350). I'm sure there are folks who have flown 3D/XA with more than one brand of gyro - I'm wondering if you could comment on what you see as the differences.

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 18, 2018, 03:34 PM
TEAM FUTABA TEAM DURALITE
Crickets....
RCG seems way down...
Last edited by mithrandir; Feb 18, 2018 at 11:08 PM.
Feb 20, 2018, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir
Crickets....
RCG seems way down...
I hear you Mithy.
Feb 20, 2018, 07:37 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Thread OP
Well if you exhume 2+ year old dead threads, it’s going to look that way
I’ve settled on the aura8, btw. The cumulative effect of various posts on the various gyro, radio, and EF threads convinced me that was the way to go.
Feb 20, 2018, 11:14 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen
I’ve settled on the aura8, btw. The cumulative effect of various posts on the various gyro, radio, and EF threads convinced me that was the way to go.
General consensus is that the Cortex is the best unit, but I'm completely happy with the Aura.

The funny thing is, I know people who have all kinds of gyros, and for the 48-60" planes they prefer the $25 Hobby Eagle gyro! If you are scraping together nickels to make a project happen, that might be a good choice. I flew one in a friend's 52" Slick and it was really solid.

One thing to be certain of is that you test any new installation with the gyro turned off. This is a hard and fast rule that will eventually save you an airplane. If you get the gains wrong you will absolutely, positively crash right freaking now. Get some serious altitude before you switch it on because if you are less that a couple of hundred feet up and have any gain backwards it will be in the ground faster than you can get to the switch and turn it off.

I trimmed a plane for a friend with backward aileron gain, and there was simply no way to hang on to it at all. No way. He flipped the switch and at that point I became simply a passenger. If he had not shut it down we would still be looking for parts.
Feb 20, 2018, 04:29 PM
Zombie thread. I like my auras as well. It’s a pretty easy ecosystem to get used to and it’s very flexible/tuneable.

Quick Reply