Feb 03, 2016, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

As usual, I'm backward

I'm in the middle of a real estate purchase with a VA loan. I had my own inspection done and found several big issues. I held off on going to the seller until the VA appraisal wad done, thinking that would make negotiation easier.

Thuis is where I'm backward. Everyone else in the world gets mad at the appraiser for appraising too low. I'm pissed off because he didn't mention the sewage in the bathroom, or the fact that there is no heat or hot water. And a few other things to boot. These are supposed to be requirements for a VA loan.

I have my inspection to site, but I feel like the seller is going to laugh in my face when I demand he fixes them, when the supposedly "super strict" VA assessment says it's fine.
Feb 03, 2016, 01:50 PM
The appraisers job is only to ensure that the lender is making a safe bet on the loan. Everything under the sun can be bad with the house.

The inspector's job is a different story.
Feb 03, 2016, 01:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
The appraisers job is only to ensure that the lender is making a safe bet on the loan. Everything under the sun can be bad with the house.

The inspector's job is a different story.
You know nothing about VA loans, kindly keep it to yourself.
Feb 03, 2016, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo
You know nothing about VA loans, kindly keep it to yourself.
Oh, ok.
Feb 03, 2016, 02:49 PM
sensitive artsy type
Last edited by Treetop; Feb 03, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Feb 03, 2016, 02:52 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
Oh, ok.
You know NOTHING!!!
Feb 03, 2016, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
The VA has a minimum list of required items that a VA appraisal is supposed to assure. That list is what I'm complaining about.
Feb 03, 2016, 03:03 PM
Closed Account
I'd say you have justification for a complaint.
Quote:
When it comes to a VA loan, appraisers are looking for potentially major issues that revolve around the three S’s: safety, sanitation and structural integrity. There are 10 basic Minimum Property Requirements that VA appraisers consider, including things like mechanical systems (heating & cooling), a reliable potable water supply, domestic hot water and a safe method of sewage disposal.
https://www.veteransunited.com/valoa...-requirements/
Quote:
Do the improvements have to be done before closing on my VA Loan?

Yes, for the most part all repairs noted on an appraisal have to be completed before closing on the new loan. Sometimes if circumstances arise beyond your control the lender will allow you to escrow for a repair and take care of it when weather or other factors permit.
http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/faqs_appraisals.htm
Feb 03, 2016, 03:36 PM
It has been my past experience that the "Home Inspection Business " is shady at best . In most states a Home inspector can not even be held responsible for missing major problems on a house inspection , worthless scam in many cases . IMO
Feb 03, 2016, 04:02 PM
Have Guitar Will Travel
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder1
You know NOTHING!!!
I Know Nothing (0 min 3 sec)
Feb 03, 2016, 04:03 PM
Quote:
You know NOTHING!!!
Hell, when has that ever stopped me?
Feb 03, 2016, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBean
great , now thats stuck in my head , i will say it to my wife 10 times before bed , with my inside voice .
Feb 03, 2016, 06:07 PM
Don't look at me like that....
Sounds like you need to keep looking.
But you must remember , the appraiser only gets paid by the VA , he doesn't work for them. I would bet he's contracted.
Feb 03, 2016, 06:16 PM
Closed Account
1. Getting your own inspection is a very smart move.
2. Forward a copy of your inspection to the VA and ask why so many problems were missed by their appraisal.
3. Tell the seller you want everything fixed, or a discount equal to 110% of the cost of fixing everything.
4. Remember..... whoever owns the house is making payments while this process drags on. Time is your friend.

Get everything you want or walk.
Feb 03, 2016, 07:51 PM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
You know NOTHING!!!
Well, nothing about VA home loans at any rate.

Quick Reply