Turnigy Graphene Batteries

Could this be the next gen battery tech we've been waiting for?

Splash

Turnigy Announces Graphene Batteries

New battery tech is long overdue. Lipos have been king for far too long and we've all dreamed of faster charging, higher energy density power cells. Well HobbyKing is first to the R/C market with the new Graphene cell chemistry tech that aims to deliver just that.

The use of graphene allows battery manufacturers to create packs that can put out more energy at a lower temperature than standard lipos. The internal resistance is much lower and the packs will maintain a higher voltage under load than regular lipos. They are fast charge capable at up to 10C depending on the battery. No word is given on chargers so we're assuming that standard lipo chargers will do that job since the per cell voltage remains the same. They are also claiming 600+ cycle life so if that holds true, these batteries should last much longer than we are used to. This is very exciting to finally see some improvements in battery tech. You can see the full line of Turnigy Graphene batteries at HobbyKing.

Feb 03, 2016, 11:13 AM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Very interesting indeed! Im going to have to invest in a few and see for myself.

Here's an article on graphene battery technology. I'm assuming it's the same technology and chemistry as the HK batteries...

http://www.graphene-info.com/graphene-batteries
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Feb 03, 2016, 12:33 PM
What is not clear is if these batteries still use any Lithium content - Lipo, Li-Ion, LFP.

What charger would be used? . . .
Feb 03, 2016, 01:02 PM
AMA: L68621, FCC: WA2LLX

Still Li-Ion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34_South
What is not clear is if these batteries still use any Lithium content - Lipo, Li-Ion, LFP.

What charger would be used? . . .
According to the above mentioned site these are still Li-ion batteries but they are "enhanced" by the graphene process. Time will tell.

Matt: please let us know how these work out for you.

John
Last edited by nadt770; Feb 03, 2016 at 01:11 PM.
Feb 03, 2016, 01:13 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
I will note that they are definitely heavier than conventional LiPo packs.
My 4s 5000mAh Turnigy nano-tech 65-130c pack weighs 576 grams all up.
The Graphene 4s 5000mah 65c pack weighs an advertised 612g.

Not a big deal, but worth noting for weight and balance critical aircraft.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Feb 03, 2016, 01:31 PM
Master Prop Breaker
Sounds like marketing to me.
Feb 03, 2016, 01:37 PM
Hittin Gaps With D Gains
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I will note that they are definitely heavier than conventional LiPo packs.
My 4s 5000mAh Turnigy nano-tech 65-130c pack weighs 576 grams all up.
The Graphene 4s 5000mah 65c pack weighs an advertised 612g.

Not a big deal, but worth noting for weight and balance critical aircraft.
I'm not saying that the weight you are quoting isn't true, but if you pulled those figures from the HobbyKing website, it's hit and miss on their accuracy, and I've noticed in my experience that HK's numbers are notoriously wrong by inflated gram weights.
Feb 03, 2016, 02:30 PM

other link

see here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2592234
Feb 03, 2016, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbarth
Sounds like marketing to me.
Assuming they do indeed perform as advertised, who cares if it is marketing? Time will tell, I've seen a favorable review with pre-release packs but it shouldn't take long for reviewers to pick up some off-the-shelf Graphene packs to test.
Feb 03, 2016, 04:50 PM
N00b
comparing their 4s 65C 1500mah to Tattu 4s 75C 1550mah it's 30cm longer, 10C less discharge rate, and 20g heavier... I don't know, doesn't seem good for mini quads if it really is 30cm longer.
Feb 03, 2016, 04:59 PM
Wandering IT geek
Would love to try one of these for EF1 as if the claims are true and they do hold higher voltage they'll improve the performance of the airplane late in the race when other packs really start to sag.

However the 3000mAh pack is listed as weighing nearly 400g. Max pack weight for EF1 is 335g. Closest I might be able to get would be to parallel connect two 1300mAh packs at 176g per for a total of 352g then try to shave some weight or hope that Hobby King has inflated the weight in the specs (they did with the 65C 2700mAh Nanotechs but not by 20g).

Really wished they'd made a 2600-2700 4S pack. If so I'd have been willing to buy one to see if I could strip it down to 335g. Oh well.
Feb 03, 2016, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_patso
comparing their 4s 65C 1500mah to Tattu 4s 75C 1550mah it's 30cm longer, 10C less discharge rate, and 20g heavier... I don't know, doesn't seem good for mini quads if it really is 30cm longer.
If that Tattu pack can sustain anything near 75C discharge then I've got a bridge I'll sell you...

Take the printed specs with a grain of salt. Most packs don't come anywhere close under real world conditions and there is often great variation between two packs of the same specs.
Feb 03, 2016, 06:01 PM
N00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S
If that Tattu pack can sustain anything near 75C discharge then I've got a bridge I'll sell you...

Take the printed specs with a grain of salt. Most packs don't come anywhere close under real world conditions and there is often great variation between two packs of the same specs.
hence the "i don't know" and pointing out the physical deminsions being significantly longer than a pack with similar capacity.

You're right though, the tatuu is rated for 45C constant, and probably 75C peak, the graphene is rated 65C constant with 130C peak so significantly better there according to specs... It's just annoying to me, it isn't clear. Obviously these are lithium batteries supplemented with carbon in the chemisty (supposedley).. There is no graphene going on here, cheap marketing gimmick really. I don't think it's being mass produced yet.
Last edited by dr_patso; Feb 03, 2016 at 06:12 PM.
Feb 03, 2016, 06:02 PM
Gettin' back into flyin'
Lots of questions.... among them: Are these graphene batteries still vulnerable to leaving them charged or in the heat?
Last edited by MartMX; Feb 03, 2016 at 06:21 PM.
Feb 03, 2016, 07:48 PM
Generally speaking, a battery that can deliver a higher C rating is going to be thicker and heavier. What a pack is rated for is nearly irrelevant, I've seen multiple reviews where Tattu packs got creamed by others with supposedly lower C ratings. I don't recall which ones did better but suffice to say the C rating on nearly all LiPos is pure fantasy. Real world tests are all that matter.

The graphene refers to the anode material, I suspect it's just increasing the effective surface area which will result in lower IR and higher current delivery with less sagging, they are still LiPos and will be damaged if they are abused.

Quick Reply